Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a modular helmet for commuting, touring, etc... The two specific helmets I am looking at have both gotten good reviews in Motorcycle Consumer News but the costs are significantly different...

These are the two options I am willing to consider as other brands only use plastic to lock the face down.

Any feedback is appreciated.

TIA,

Uncle_Duck

V

·
0 Posts
I had an interest in flip-up modular helmets as well. I was considering the HJC Symax because it is well priced, and it has good overall reviews. It has a removable inside liner for easy washing. However after looking at the HJC at my local bike shop, i realized that the quality is nowhere near even the cheapest Shoei helmet. The helmet rattles, squeeks, and just feels flimsy when you hold it. Dont get me wrong, you cant beat the price for a flip-up (~$180 online, i believe), but the quality is only so, so. All Shoeis, by comparison are vault-tight, and naturally you pay for the quality.

SInce I couldnt affort the $350+ Syncrotech, and didnt want to settle for a low quality HJC, i bought the new Shoei RF-1000, ~$240) and I dont regret it one bit. The quality and engineering behind all the Shoeis is simply outstanding!

I'm basically waiting for the flip-up helmet technology (or perhaps market) to catchup with regular full-face helmets, so that we have more purchasing options. The HJC has been out for a couple of years now, and I would like to see them put some R&D money into a new design. Until there's a good quality, decently priced flip-up I'll stick with what I have.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
you might want to look at Vemar helmets...

there was one with silver circular covers on the sides... turns out that the German moto cops use that helmet. I bought one at Laguna Seca... was the wrong size and they didn't have a small... otherwise I would have kept it. Ended up purchasing a signature-Suomy Gunwind instead for $199 (was signed by 1991-92 Ducati AMA champion Doug Polen)

The flip up was the Aries...

Vemar is coming out with the VXD flip up for 2004...

there's also a Carbon fiber helmet too...

To see more info, on the Aries, you have to go to the European Vemar webpage.

To see more info on the new models (carbon, VXD), you have to visit Vemar USA.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely agree about the quality of Shoei products. I looked at the HJC and read the review also. MCNews didn't give it shining review, merely mediocre at best.

I currently have a Shoei RF-700 which has done just fine over the years, but it's getting pretty scratched up and I figured I would use it if I ever do a track school... I would use the modular for most other rides.

As far as the Vemar helmets, they look great and the price is certainly right for the regular helmets but they don't make them small enough... So far Nolan, Shoe and Arai are the only ones that make a helmet with a sise of 6 1/2 to 6 3/4. (I have a REALLY small head ::) )

Uncle_Duck

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a Nolan for

1 - 5 of 5 Posts