Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am excited to join the Ducati club and recently picked up a 2002 620 Monster Dark Edition that is not running. At the moment, I press the starter button and nothing happens.The (aftermarket) gauges light up and the battery is new. If I jump the starter solenoid I can get the bike to turn over very strong and I can smell the fuel and have wet plugs. However, when I pull the plug, ground it and check for spark as I jump the solenoid I get no spark at all.
I have checked all fuses and swapped the fuel pump and starter relays and I hear the pump running either way. The battery is new and fully charged so I know that is good. The guy I bought it from said he also got it as a project but didn’t have much chance to try to get it outside of paying for an hour at a Ducati Dealership. From what he said they were able to get it running on one cylinder and quoted the problem as a bad fuel injector.
From what I have seen in the forums I am worried that I may have an immobilizer issue—I have a black and red key but no code card—if this is the case can I fix it without a new ECU/dash/key set? Does this sound like it could be the issue or perhaps something else? Any input as to why the starter button is non-functioning (not even a click!) or why I don’t get spark when I jump the solenoid would be greatly appreciated! I really want to ride it as I’ve never been on a Ducati before! Thanks in advance!

-Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not positive, if the immobilizer is triggered, I don't think you'd have any dash lights and definitely no fuel pump. So that's good. There's a countless number of things that could be the problem. I definitely wouldn't waste time or money at a dealership. Just having to pick a place and start. Finding a wiring diagram is a must. For example, the start button. Does the right hand switch have power coming in where it should? If it doesn't, work back from there. If it does, when you press the start button is power leaving the switch and reaching the next piece of the puzzle. I'm not sure of that year and whether the start button terminates at the starter relay or goes into the ECU. Have to find out. It's just a process. I guess with the immobilizer the start switch definitely hits the ECU first. So I'd probably try and eliminate the simplest thing first. The button.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If there is an aftermarket gauge and at some point it ran then the immobilizer must be disabled. Start with the start and run switches and work from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would order a set of the LONLEC ADB Cables and download (for free) GUZZIdiag, hook it up, and see if the ECU is giving any faults.

Test the coils, are they getting 12v, measure the resistance HT and LT.

On the starter relay there is a small white plug, pull it out and connect 12V from the battery to the two connectors on the Relay, if it clicks, its good and the problem is between, Battery - Switch- Relay. The Starter relays do sometimes go bad (ask me how i know) and then the starter button does nothing.

The Crank Position Sensor, tells the ECU the motor is spinning, so it can send a Spark, its a basic HALL sensor so check the connectors. If you have to replace it, the same part is used on lots of Fiats and Alfa Romeos and are ALOT cheaper than buying it from Ducati 240 euro vs 19euro in my case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies on this! I was just about to go out and do what you guys recommended, but I came across the Dealership's assessment of the bike from when the guy before me took it in. It turns out the ECU is not stock, the guages are not stock, and the start system is disabled. The mechanic in the shop 'bypassed the starting system and got it to run on just the vertical cylinder alone'. They also said that the bike had spark (which it currently does not when I jump the solenoid with a wrench) and that the horizontal cylinder didn't run because of restricted fuel flow and recommended a new fuel injector (which the last guy changed).

So going off of that, I would like to get the bike running first and then figure out the starting system. My question is how do I bypass the starting system? Should it start if I jump the solenoid with a wrench? Because as of now it cranks but has no spark when I lay the wrench across. Any ideas to get the spark back as it was in the dealership? This is turning out to be a bit more of a goose hunt than I thought it would be, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hence, why the guy sold it to you. Why are you using a wrench to jump the solenoid ?
Any chance of returning it to the dealer that did the diagnostic ? Or take the bill to the dealer and ask the mechanic about the bike ?
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ducati.😢

·
Registered
18 Posts
Other simple things to check: Is the kick stand down and the bike in gear? Your bike has to be in neutral

1 - 10 of 10 Posts