Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances that i got an 06 s2r 800 with no slipper clutch? ive tried to make it engage, but the wheel always bounces. i hope im just being retarded..

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I've got a slipper on my 620 and I can make the rear wheel bounce. The slipper doesn't eliminate rear wheel hop, it just reduces it. I ride mine as if I didn't have a slipper. Then when I screw up and do some ham-fisted maneuver, I'm thankful it's there.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
hiero said:
just fyi, the ducati stock 'slipper' isn't a 'real' slipper, it's a pseudo slipper that works similarly...
Is above correct? (If so it is consistent w/ Ducati's "APTC" moniker; maybe Ducati never uses the word "slipper" to describe it...) If true, is it likely all or most aftermarket real "slipper" clutches perform better for the intended purpose? Are there aftermarket slipper clutches for the 803cc?

I sampled all a/c Ducati motors except the limited production 1100. The 803 is favored for its 6-speed, smoothness, power to weight & reciprocating mass. I plan to build a custom 803cc. Clutch performance directly affects the difference in real value between a motor from an '03-'05 SS/Monster (standard clutch) & an '05-'07 S2R803 (APTC clutch).

Thanks all! Have a great/safe '08!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Think of it as a slipper that doesn't slip much. The basic purpose is to reduce effort, not for hammering quick downshifts at the track.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Monster brochure says, "The Adler Power Torque Clutch, a Ducati Esclusive, makes the 695 even friendlier, safer and more comfortable. It provides a clutch pull that is amazingly light, while also including 'slipper' clutch benefits. A 'slipper' clutch, typically found on race bikes, benefits the rider by reducing the destabilizing rear wheel 'lock-up' or 'chatter' phenomenon when downshifting aggressively.

i guess they avoid actually calling it a slipper.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
howie said:
Think of it as a slipper that doesn't slip much. The basic purpose is to reduce effort, not for hammering quick downshifts at the track.
+1 on that. I had a 695 with this Adler 'slipper' clutch. It's possible to bounce the rear wheel, for sure. But, it takes considerable more effort than the non-Adler clutch. I have had a chance to compare both the Adler and non-Adler wet clutches on Ducs lately and the difference is pretty substantial. The Adler really does a good job at minimizing the consideration a rider needs to rev-match on down shifts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If i recall correctly Ducati never calls it a slipper clutch, but rather the "APTC Limited slip clutch" or something like that. It certainly slips on my S2R800, but the wheel will bounce regardless.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
why'd they put that 'similar' functioning slipper clutch on the 800 and not the 1000? I had a slipper clutch on my Mille and really want to put one on my Monstah.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well the (s2r) 800 is a wet cltuch and the 1000 is a dry clutch. The APTC is only available for wet clutch configurations

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
oh. i thought all the s2rs had dry clutches. in that case, what year did APTc start? is it possible to put one in an 04 m800 with wet clutch?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Nope, just Monsters 900ccs or more have dry clutches.

For that conversion. I'd say probably, but I don't know for certin. I know 05 bikes had them, and I'm not aware of any huge changes to the clutch from 04 to 05 that would prevent you from doing a drop in type mod. But you would need to be sure to get a complete APTC assembly to do it. Hub, basket pressure plate springs - the whole 9 yards .

But to be sure you might start on Ducatis site. They have a section where you and download PDFs that have the exploded views of all the assemblies and part numbers for all Ducs back to 2000. And maybe drop a note on you local experts.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
thanks. something i'd consider if i keep this one long enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts