Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=ap0WzS2pVTco&refer=germany

Volkswagen AG Supervisory Board Chairman Ferdinand Piech foresees a ``good chance'' of acquiring Italian motorcycle maker Ducati Motor Holding SpA and integrating it successfully, Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported, without saying where it got the information.

Oh please let this be a hoax...this is almost worse than the rumor that Harley was looking to buy Ducati :-\ I'd rather have my favorite marque owned by a faceless, soulless Italian private equity group than by the people that brought you Fahrvergnügen, the new Beetle, and some of the most annoying TV ads ever...(not to mention its less-than-innocent origins).

I know...it's probably only a rumor. Lots of companies want Ducati. But I hate seeing stuff like this.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
yeah, they did a horrible job of pulling Lamborghini out of a rut and making it profitable while keeping its character. ::)

and Audis suck.

·
0 Posts
I like Volkswagon, good company. The tv ads are the suxors though, I agree with you on that.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Statler said:
yeah, they did a horrible job of pulling Lamborghini out of a rut and making it profitable while keeping its character. ::)

and Audis suck.
Ducati ain't in a rut ;D If they were suffering and underperforming, it'd be one thing. But 2007 was a banner year. And I can't imagine a car maker like VW not sticking their fingers into Ducati operations and design. I can just picture the execs talking about synergies ::)

ducatania said:
Need I point out they were on the same side back then? [laugh]
Exactly...and look how well that worked out ;D

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
desmoquattro said:
Ducati ain't in a rut ;D If they were suffering and underperforming, it'd be one thing. But 2007 was a banner year.
2007 was a banner year for them ONLY because of the highly anticipated release of the 1098. They've got nothing in the pipeline nearly as exciting.

696? Feh.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ducatania said:
2007 was a banner year for them ONLY because of the highly anticipated release of the 1098. They've got nothing in the pipeline nearly as exciting.

696? Feh.
The 1098 was part of it. So was the MotoGP world championship. And the Hypermotard. And the Monster is still their best-selling bike. We'll see how that plays out. And no matter what Ducati's outcome, VW meddling is the last thing I want to see. If they could keep their hands off the company and leave it with some autonomy, then it could be a good thing. But I just don't see VW (or any car maker) doing that.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I don't understand how Vw could buy anything - I thought I had just heard Porshe was looking to buy a a bigger chunk of VW?

mitt

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
desmoquattro said:
If they were suffering and underperforming, it'd be one thing. But 2007 was a banner year.
Uh...best time to sell there, chief. If you were in charge and wanted out, now would be the time to sell and buy your own island.

VW is good at making things that are fun to drive. I think it'd be ok.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"unpimp zie auto" "multiply" with the rabbits and the more serious (and sometimes labored) "safe happens" were all genius TV spots! WTF are you guys talking about?!? I know its been a year or more but spots like these entitle you a little grace period.

and the 696 is to the m900 as the new beetle is to the Beetle. that said my next (additional) bike will prolly be from the land of the rising sun.

we are all leaves of grass and I for one had no problem interviewing a native american WWII vet with Japanese cameras, german optics; microphones and italian tripods and lights

we'll see, but things could be better or worse and I am at the threshold. I'd sooner buy an SV or verseys than a 696. the current trajectory of my dear monster couldn't test my jingoism for ducati more than ducati themselves already has.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well ya know....... >:D ....If you play around with Photoshop and superimpose a beetle's profile over a Duc...................... :p

Maybe the Duc is already related to Volkswagen! :eek: :eek:

Oh..and excuse the amateurish photoshop work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Volkswagon's not so bad. They are the creators of my current dreamcar: the updated Scirocco for 2009. It's like a GTI, only it actually looks good, and it's actually fast.

Sure, it will never be sold in the United States, but that's not Volkswagon's fault, it's ours. Apparently the dollar is too weak to make selling it in the USA realistic, since it's only built in germany. They figure that nobody will want to pay $35,000 for a car that's worth ~$27,000.

I hate our weak economy!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts