Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if the members here can point me in the right direction. I'm stumped. I purchased a 2003 M620ie earlier this year that was running like crap. Originally, I thought a fresh crankcase of oil, clean air filter, new spark plugs, and a new tank of gas would likely cure whatever ailed 'er. Well, it runs better now, but not perfect.

Here's the problem: Anything below about 3,500 rpms and there is almost zero power. To get the bike up and going--especially when a hill is involved--takes a fairly high rev and some clutch slipping to get underway. I'm not a super big guy--about 185 lbs. So I don't think it's a case of FAS (fat @$$ syndrome).

Above 3,500 rpms and with the bike underway, all seems normal. But you still have to hammer the throttle a bit more than you would on a 900.

It's fuel injected, so there aren't any carbs to "play" with. Mechanically, it's fairly stock except for a set of Remus slip-ons. Air box is stock. Battery seems strong--measuring about 12.4 volts with the engine off and almost 14 volts with the engine running. Also, desmogging the bike didn't seem to make the problem any better or worse.

Are these baby Monsters really THIS gutless below 3,500 rpms? Or is this puppy sick? I've only owned 900cc Ducatis until now, and they always had plenty of low-end grunt.

Any input or hints of where to begin looking for this bike's demons are much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Marty (long-time DML member)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Monster stutters a little below 3k revs but this is with all of them so I've heard. Also change the sprocket as well many people have recommended it, I'll be doing mine soon

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. I checked my sprockets this weekend. I've got a 14/48 setup. So it's geared pretty low already.

The problem is that the bike sorta bogs down and has no oomph at all until the needle hits 3,500 rpm or so. So I have to rev it and slip the clutch quite a bit to get going. Just doesn't seem right. I had a Suzuki SV650 twin a few years ago, and it was a peppy little brat--from idle to redline. This Baby Monster does nothing but bog down unless I really hammer the throttle and slip the clutch. All doesn't seem right. But I don't know where to go next.

Battery measures strong. Airbox is stock. Plugs look perfect--just a hint of beige--after each ride no matter what I do. Gas is fresh and premium. Really at a loss. Not really the type to drag my bike down to the stealer. But I might have to if I can't figure out what's wrong with this little thing.

All input greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm a loss as where to go from here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine stutters but doesn't bog down so there probably is something wrong :confused:

Sorry I couldn't help, hope you get it fixed :)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Try running some seafoam or some kind of fuel injector cleaner through it

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would agree that you should take it in. One area of focus could be the fuel pump. How many miles?

Does is stutter when revved in neutral?

Its one thing to be low on power, but to bog down is usually fuel related. I assume it makes a bogging sound as you get on it?

You already checked the usual stuff. From here you might need the dealer to get some reading on th fuel pump, fuel pressure ect.

Jim

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to try some Seafoam. A buddy of mine swears by that stuff, too. Can't hurt. ;)

Try running some seafoam or some kind of fuel injector cleaner through it

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike has just over 7,000 miles on the clock. I wonder about the fuel pump.

It stutters a tiny bit but doesn't bog when revved in neutral. It only bogs when the engine is under load. And it does make the bogging sound when you get on the throttle--like I'm running out of gas. Fuel pump? Dirty injectors?

Will try Seafoam first and then if that doesn't clear up the problem, I'll definitely take it in, as I don't like to ride it the way it is right now. And I like to ride my bikes!!! :D

Thanks for everyone's help. You are all great!!!

I would agree that you should take it in. One area of focus could be the fuel pump. How many miles?

Does is stutter when revved in neutral?

Its one thing to be low on power, but to bog down is usually fuel related. I assume it makes a bogging sound as you get on it?

You already checked the usual stuff. From here you might need the dealer to get some reading on th fuel pump, fuel pressure ect.

Jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Since you just purchased it, the fuel could have been bad and left some deposits. Try the seafoam, enjoy the smoke show, and see what happens. Then I would lean toward the fuel pump and or injectors. The last owner may or may not stored it with stabil ect.

Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard about the smoke. Can't wait. :)

Will definitely report back. Thanks again, all! I love this place. Sometimes I wonder if I bought another Duc because I like Ducs or because I like the DML. Hmmmm? hahahaha

Since you just purchased it, the fuel could have been bad and left some deposits. Try the seafoam, enjoy the smoke show, and see what happens. Then I would lean toward the fuel pump and or injectors. The last owner may or may not stored it with stabil ect.

Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As some in Utah might say: "Holy friggin' crap!" Seafoam really does work!!! I can't believe it worked as well as it did.

Okay, my issue was that my M620ie would bog down really bad coming away from a stop. I would have to rev the engine above 3500 rpms and slip the clutch quite a bit just to get going. Once in motion, the bike accelerated fairly normally. There was some hesitation and stumbling here and there, but nothing as serious as the bogging problem.

So, I dumped 1/3 of a can of Seafoam in a fresh tank of gas and another 1/3 in the crankcase. (The other third went in my 08 Civic's tank after I saw the results I had with the Baby Monster.)

It didn't smoke quite as much as I'd hoped. (I was really hoping for a smoke-fest.) I guess you have to get the stuff into your intake to really smoke out the neighbors. But nonetheless, it worked!

Bogging is gone! My bike used to barely make it up this small hill around the corner from my house. Now, I can pull almost entirely cleanly away from a stop and up that hill in THIRD! First is no problem, of course. And even second is a breeze. :D

The bike pulls real clean now in every gear. No stumbling--after about 30 mins of hard riding and getting the Seafoam through the system. No bogging. No hesitation. No hiccups. No little backfire pops on deceleration. Really zippy now. Wow! The difference is night and day. Seriously. It's like riding a new bike. I even had to lower the idle, as the Seafoam cleaning brought idle up to about 1800 rpms. Wow!

My only problem now is that max speed with the low gearing on the bike (14/48) is about 95 mph. :( Of course, now that my low-end problem is gone, I could probably stand to gear the bike a bit higher. Maybe get a 46-tooth sprocket for the rear. :)

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am now sold on Seafoam. If your own bike has any stumbling, pick up a can of Seafoam at your local auto parts house. For $9, you can't beat the results IMHO.

·
Registered
635 Posts
As some in Utah might say: "Holy friggin' crap!" Seafoam really does work!!! I can't believe it worked as well as it did.

Okay, my issue was that my M620ie would bog down really bad coming away from a stop. I would have to rev the engine above 3500 rpms and slip the clutch quite a bit just to get going. Once in motion, the bike accelerated fairly normally. There was some hesitation and stumbling here and there, but nothing as serious as the bogging problem.

So, I dumped 1/3 of a can of Seafoam in a fresh tank of gas and another 1/3 in the crankcase. (The other third went in my 08 Civic's tank after I saw the results I had with the Baby Monster.)

It didn't smoke quite as much as I'd hoped. (I was really hoping for a smoke-fest.) I guess you have to get the stuff into your intake to really smoke out the neighbors. But nonetheless, it worked!

Bogging is gone! My bike used to barely make it up this small hill around the corner from my house. Now, I can pull almost entirely cleanly away from a stop and up that hill in THIRD! First is no problem, of course. And even second is a breeze. :D

The bike pulls real clean now in every gear. No stumbling--after about 30 mins of hard riding and getting the Seafoam through the system. No bogging. No hesitation. No hiccups. No little backfire pops on deceleration. Really zippy now. Wow! The difference is night and day. Seriously. It's like riding a new bike. I even had to lower the idle, as the Seafoam cleaning brought idle up to about 1800 rpms. Wow!

My only problem now is that max speed with the low gearing on the bike (14/48) is about 95 mph. :( Of course, now that my low-end problem is gone, I could probably stand to gear the bike a bit higher. Maybe get a 46-tooth sprocket for the rear. :)

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am now sold on Seafoam. If your own bike has any stumbling, pick up a can of Seafoam at your local auto parts house. For $9, you can't beat the results IMHO.
Now, you must install a performance air filter and make a performance airbox yourself[think, is not that hard]... I like my 15/48 gearing... Bike had some hesitation between 1k~3k, but, after setting the trimm to about 30, no more hesitation and fuel milage is still running circa 50mpg or 80km/g. Yes, a lot of fellow Ducatistis have advised to replace front sprocket with a 14T, but, don;t know why, my 15/48 is just, ..., no words can describe it.
Now, go, take that hacksaw and cut the top of that airbox, and enjoy the rewards afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts

First of all, sorry for bumping this thread.

It seems im having the exact same "bogging" problem with my 2002 620Sie. I just bought it so im not too familiar with the bikes power and what its realy good for, but the power it puts out in low revs at the moment can't be the real deal! And it feels like the engine gets "drowned" at times, especially when i give it a full throttle from start in first or second gear.

I would like to try this seafoam magic. Problem is i live in Norway, and it seems seafoam is an all american product, which i cannot find in Norway. Do you guys know if there are any similiar products on the market?

Could this be the thing im looking for? (Translated trough google...) :
http://translate.google.com/transla...lpleie/Ovrige-vasker/Innsproytingsrengjoring/

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never have had power issues with my '05 M620 Dark, 'au contraire', as the Italian tech that did clinic here said, "someone in the factory had too much grapa on Sunday, this motorcycle feels more powerfull than the other M 620 here[only[running] M620D in country]. They did a test to test compression and it came out a bit higher than what a 'regular' M620 should be.

Gearing, still 15/48, top speed, radar verified, 215kph/133mph, yes, I know how to make it more 'peppier' aorund town, but, not sure I want to give up been able to keep up with the guys in 'faster' bikes...As long as I have in view, me happy!!!

BTW, which SeaFoam product you used?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wanted to follow up and see if any others have had similar problems and any success with the Seafoam?

Ive been having the same issues as stated in this thread.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...nt-whine-fuel-pump-bike-boggs-under-load.html

Ive gone through so many repairs and tests in hopes to locate the problem, just to repair it. I figure Ill give this a go and see if it does the trick. Any other feedback or confirmation of similar symptoms is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
By any chance, have you checked your coils? And fuel presure regulator?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Valve Adjustment?

The tech I took the bike to today believes it to be a bad valve adjustment by the last owner (and I cannot say I don't agree with him, as the last guy was not what you would call a mechanical sort).

Just got it though, and I think I'll Seafoam it this weekend to see if it gives me a lil more till I can afford to get the valves done again. While I'm at it I'll SF the crankcase and put some fresh full synth in. See what happens.

Daikuma
King of the Necroposters 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts