Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always admired the look of monsters but until recently I've never ridden one. As I intend to buy a monster for my next bike I decided I'd better ride one to find out what its all about. I've been riding for a while and my current bike is a H*nda V4 1000cc.

A dealer I know has a 98 m600 dark for sale and I managed to convince him to give me the keys. I thought I'd post my impresions as there are a lot of newbies looking for this sort of info.

My first impression was the light weight and low seat height compared to my current ride. I was also a lot more over the front wheel than I was used to. Once I hit the starter and fired it up I was addicted to the sound. I was surprised as this bike has standard pipes but the sound was not as restricted as I thought it would be.

Moving off, I found the riding position a little unusual but I soon settled into it and by the end of my 40km ride i was comfortable.

A lot of things I had read were confirmed.
The mirrors were close to useless. The clutch was snatchy at low speeds. The sidestand was difficult to get my foot around. The turning circle was similar to a planetary orbit. But these things were quickly overshadowed by the good bits. The exhaust note as I accelerated thru the gears, the nimbleness through the local twisties just outside of the city, and also the admiring looks. As I pulled up at an intersection, one knowledgable bystander commented "nice monster". This put a big grin on my face. ;D

In the end I was sold. This is a bike with character. The other aspect that had me in was that I was having fun at speeds that were not likely to put my licence in danger.

Now all I have to do is sell the current bikes to raise the capital.

Now I can say that I know what all you guys are on about. My advice to anyone who hasn't ridden one is to beg or borrow (but not steal) a ride and you'll never look back.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
QUOTE...(having fun at speeds that were not likely to put my license in danger...) :D welcome to duc world .. and don't worry... you still can have lots of fun at SPEEDS THAT WILL LIKELY PUT YOUR LICENSE IN DANGER. It's a brave new world

·
Banned
551 Posts
Make sure you ride a monster besides the 600 - which I find to be the most underwhelming of monsters. If you liked that, you will certainly likes the 620 and up even more.

Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Techno, I hear you. My stable, in the past, included Honda Interceptors (700 + 750) and my recently-sold (yesterday) VTR1000. I now have my Monster, and it has me. Get one. You'll love it.

But, as for "having fun at speeds that were not likely to put my licence in danger". Good luck with that. I hope it works out for you. Seems to me, however, to be a 40km test-drive concept. If you want to keep your license safe, stay on the porch ;).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ahoy.

I hear that; I demo'd one too and it was instant addiction. Must....get....Monster......

One thing though: I thought the thing sounded like a sewing machine! The restrictions/baffles on stock pipes make it sound so tame it's almost sad. I too want that Ducati sound I hear so often...but the stock bike is a purring pussy cat compared to that. I don't wanna set off alarms and piss off the neighbors, but I'd certainly like to hear/feel that engine a bit more than I did. When I get mine (dealing right now), I think the first "mod" will be slip-ons.

--Rumbler--

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I actually expected it to sound restricted but I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for all the feed back.

I am aware that my judgment was probably clouded by my test ride enthusiasm. If I get the chance I'll definitely ride a bigger capacity monster before spending the dough.

Techno

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
That guy who said "nice monster" was either one of the dealership employees or he wanted your phone number. Was your fly zipped up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts