Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it dangerous to ride with the belt covers off? i kind of like the look without them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Type it in the search box

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I haven't used belt covers on any Duc for about 8 years. I've never seen a problem including a couple of crashes. Of course...................

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've run them on/off for years. Problem with not running them is getting small debris between the belt/cog -- the belt jumps a tooth and in my case a valve hit the piston top as a result and the valve stem always bends (and sometimes the valve seat) -- I caught it immediately though. Of course it did it the morning of a magazine photoshoot that I was doing and thus the journalists couldn't ride the bike.

Do at your own risk and your own $$$$.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Norm said:
I haven't used belt covers on any Duc for about 8 years. I've never seen a problem including a couple of crashes. Of course...................
You're a mechanic though, right Norm?? If anything did get in there..

I like SydMonster's no belt look.

I would do it but..

Hey Yukio..why don't you look at the clear Rizoma covers?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually spent the day taking crap off my bike that the previous owner had on. Monster
dark with a poorly done red theme. God rid of all his yellowed carbon, red frame plugs, rear hugger,
and horrible red decals. Anyway now the bike is all dark except for the nasty belt cover. I'm probably
going to get a carbon cover, but i just wanted to run it without it,until i choose a cover. are there any open carbon ones?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
yukio said:
I actually spent the day taking crap off my bike that the previous owner had on. Monster
dark with a poorly done red theme. God rid of all his yellowed carbon, red frame plugs, rear hugger,
and horrible red decals. Anyway now the bike is all dark except for the nasty belt cover. I'm probably
going to get a carbon cover, but i just wanted to run it without it,until i choose a cover. are there any open carbon ones?
Rattle can satin black makes them look great. If you want an open look along with that, break out the dremel. I think someone makes open carbon ones, but they aint gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
P.S. the pic in my sig line has my stock belt covers that I cleaned and painted with several coats of high temp satin black paint from Lowe's. Between coats I baked the covers at about 150-200 degrees then let it cool...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Thanks, unfortunately the bike was totaled in an accident 2 months ago. But the exhaust was made by a guy here in Phoenix. It was really loud. I had them sent out to be ceramic coated before they were installed.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
NAKID said:
Thanks, unfortunately the bike was totaled in an accident 2 months ago. But the exhaust was made by a guy here in Phoenix. It was really loud. I had them sent out to be ceramic coated before they were installed.

You mean..they were really, REALLY LOUD!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I took mine off and have had no problems. I worried about it at first and used to look at the belts every time I stopped to make sure everything was OK. Now I just look at them before I ride. I hate the plastic anyway and I will keep the covers off as I like the look.

The bonus for having them off is you can inspect your belts before every ride and adjust them if needed.

I say, if you like them off take them off. Anyone can make a case for and against. I can argue that with covers on you never know the condition of your belts, so if one is in danger of breaking you will never know it until your 6K or 12K check.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I work on bikes, but while I'm a good fabricator, I'm not a very good mechanic. That being said, I also deliver most of my bikes without covers as well. The only time I've ever seen a belt jump a tooth was one with stock factory covers on it, but you've got to have them pretty loose to do that. Running without covers lets you check the belt tension as easily as your chain tension. You can also see if a belt is starting to fray or otherwise show signs of destruction.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
That settles it! I don't like mine and I never did. I'm taking mine off tomorrow, I think it'll go well with my spinning wheel of death I call an open clutch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts