Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just joined this forum literally 2 minutes ago and just got back from taking my first ride on my first bike, which is a 2002 Ducati Monster Dark 620 ie. I'm totally thrilled by it and was hoping to ask the professionals here a couple of questions...

1.) When shifting from N to 1, I get a significant *thunk* from the bike. Is that normal? Granted, I'm comparing it to the motorcycle I used in my MSF class, which wasn't as prominent as my Ducat is.

2.) I bought the motorcycle used at around 12,100 miles. What maintenance am I look forward to in the near future?

Those are the questions I have for now, but let me tell you... I've never been this thrilled before! However, it will be many-a-moons before I can venture into highways and what not. I need to fully understand what riding a motorcycle encompasses. These will be practice sessions I definitely look forward too.

Thanks and happy riding,
Los

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do live in Northern NJ. Bloomfield to be exact, and I'll definitely be checking out NYMMC, thanks Industrial Grrl!

And to answer the other question, yes, the previous owner did the 12,000 tune up. Belts, oil and oil related items, fluids and such at the Ducati dealer here, Jack Trebour Ducati Dealership. I just wanted a "rough" idea what the general Ducati Monster populace does and apply it to my own maintenance schedule, perhaps learning something along the way.

I did get a couple of opinions regarding that *thunk*. Though it's not that loud, I just wanted to get the opinion of fellow Ducati Monster owners. I just think that since we all ride the same model bikes, you guys (and gals) would know what I'm exactly talking about.

What can I say, it's my first bike and I'm just being cautious, dare I say it, babying it? I guess it comes with the territory. Thanks again for the response you guys!

Thanks!
Los

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.