Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just joined this forum literally 2 minutes ago and just got back from taking my first ride on my first bike, which is a 2002 Ducati Monster Dark 620 ie. I'm totally thrilled by it and was hoping to ask the professionals here a couple of questions...

1.) When shifting from N to 1, I get a significant *thunk* from the bike. Is that normal? Granted, I'm comparing it to the motorcycle I used in my MSF class, which wasn't as prominent as my Ducat is.

2.) I bought the motorcycle used at around 12,100 miles. What maintenance am I look forward to in the near future?

Those are the questions I have for now, but let me tell you... I've never been this thrilled before! However, it will be many-a-moons before I can venture into highways and what not. I need to fully understand what riding a motorcycle encompasses. These will be practice sessions I definitely look forward too.

Thanks and happy riding,
Los

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
congrats.. [clap] where in NJ? if northern near NYC be sure to stop by the local board NYMMC

now to your questions:

1. I have the same bike as you, mine thunks loudly as well, if you don't revv the engine it won't thunk as loudly.

2. maintenance.... so the big question is... did the previous owner already have the 12,000mi maintenance done?... if not the future is NOW. My guess is the previous owner didn't otherwise you wouldn't be asking about this. The 12,000mi maintenance involves having the valves checked, belts changed, oil changed, oil filter, fuel filter, check secondary oil filter, synchronize throttle bodies, checking cylinder compression, check and flush brake and clutch fluids, check tires, possibly chain and sprockets, brake pads, fork oil, battery checked, all nuts and bolts checked.... you're looking at around $600 plus parts at a dealer.

congrats again... see you on the road
enjoy your new toy and welcome to the addiction. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mastashake57 said:
1.) When shifting from N to 1, I get a significant *thunk* from the bike. Is that normal? Granted, I'm comparing it to the motorcycle I used in my MSF class, which wasn't as prominent as my Ducat is.

2.) I bought the motorcycle used at around 12,100 miles. What maintenance am I look forward to in the near future?
Heya - and welcome. I stared on a 620, and just got a 900. 620 was a great 1st bike for me. I hope you have the same experiences

Questions:
1) Pretty normal to get a *thunk* With a wet clutch, even when you have the clutch lever 100% pulled, there is still a small bit of engine power transferred down teh drive line. This is just due to the drag of the oil and 100% normal. That Little bit of power tranfer causes stuff to move a bit when you drop it in gear- result *thunk*

2) The 12K service has been done - right? If not, it needs to go in for that sooner rather than later... and that's going to cost a few hundy. It it has been, the next major service is at 18k. Between those times, it's just routine stuff like oil changes, chain clean/lube etc.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Not a pro, but if you don't mind :eek:

1. Is it a loud thundering *thunk* or a mid-treble cross between tink and thunk?
(Go see a mechanic or another biker friend for *professional* help)

2. Did you get copies of the services that were done on the bike? I think there are 6000 miles major service intervals.

Good luck with your Monster, and enjoy 8)
See you around,

Edgewater, NJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do live in Northern NJ. Bloomfield to be exact, and I'll definitely be checking out NYMMC, thanks Industrial Grrl!

And to answer the other question, yes, the previous owner did the 12,000 tune up. Belts, oil and oil related items, fluids and such at the Ducati dealer here, Jack Trebour Ducati Dealership. I just wanted a "rough" idea what the general Ducati Monster populace does and apply it to my own maintenance schedule, perhaps learning something along the way.

I did get a couple of opinions regarding that *thunk*. Though it's not that loud, I just wanted to get the opinion of fellow Ducati Monster owners. I just think that since we all ride the same model bikes, you guys (and gals) would know what I'm exactly talking about.

What can I say, it's my first bike and I'm just being cautious, dare I say it, babying it? I guess it comes with the territory. Thanks again for the response you guys!

Thanks!
Los

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Mastashake57 said:
And to answer the other question, yes, the previous owner did the 12,000 tune up. Belts, oil and oil related items, fluids and such at the Ducati dealer here, Jack Trebour Ducati Dealership.
Los,

In that case what I would do if I were you is take a ride over to Jack Trebours one day and stop in and meet "Country" Joe I believe he is the service manager there now... go talk to him and he'll let you know all you need to know. Yes the bike needs maintenance every 6,000 miles, and oil changes in between there and such. You can find everything you need to know here on the DML, but I would also take the opportunity to establish a relationship with your dealer there as Joe is one of the best! [thumbsup]

So I suggest you: 1. look through the FAQs section here on DML 2. go meet Joe and all should be good! It's a great bike! [thumbsup]

Oh and dont forget to post a pic!

-michelle

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
hey there, first of all welcome to the board & Ducati. I also, am new to both. I have a Monster S2R, brand new, and I had the same concern re. the clunking. Dealer & other riders said it is normal. Phew!!! right?

Take it easy, learn slowly, treat your new baby right & she will treat you right.

Enjoy

rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts