Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been taking a peek at those fancy smancy flywheels from nichols. Anybody outhere got any feedback. Easy/hard to install. Assume I'll need an impact wrench. Any power or handling changes? The bike it is going in is a 2002 s4. thanks

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've got a light flywheel and an STM clutch (aluminum) on my '01 S4.

I did not install myself, so no feedback on that. I think Strati on this board has done a little work on his S4 and might be able to answer that one ;)

As far as power and handling, I did not notice an increase in power. I did, however, feel an increase in the ability of the engine to rev. Also, as the entire assembly dropped something like 7 pounds of rotating mass, handling has increased considerably. The bike is much easier to lean over in the corners and flick back and forth in the twisties ;D

Hope that helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep...
as noted, the flywheel doesn't alter power in anyway, but allows the engine to rev up/down more easily.
pretty easy to install. you've gotta drain your oil & coolant to remove the engine case cover without having big spillage. no major drama there. use the impact wrench with a DEEP 30mm socket to get the nut off. you can hold the alternator drum with your hand it's so easy!
then transfer the drum to the new f'wheel and reinstall. clean clean clean the crank's threads so when you re-apply RED loktite for the retaining nut, it'll actually do good. the torque spec's 150 ft/lbs but i'll confess that i cheated and used the ol' impact wrench to reinstall. hopefully it won't all fall out while i'm riding!
as for handling characteristics, i really can't comment. the main reason is because the bike's not ridable yet (other projects finally being wrapped up). the other reason is because i've made a bunch of other changes at the same time so i can't get an isolated feel for what the f'wheel's done.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info Randy and Strati, helps out. I'm a slut for dropping 5+ lbs. See how much damage I can do with my impact and torque wrench. I'm thinking the new flywheel will get lonely without a lightened clutch basket. D##m, I have to quit looking at nichols web site.
I have to take the bike in for a base gasket leak. Warranty work. Started leaking the day after I got it. For some reason it has taken DNA 3 months to ship out a base gasket kit. Something about moving warehouses.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to take the bike in for a base gasket leak. Warranty work. Started leaking the day after I got it. For some reason it has taken DNA 3 months to ship out a base gasket kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I second that "moving warehouses" complaint. B.S. to me. Dan

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, they started using the "Moving DNA headquarters" excuse before February, maybe even last year, and milked it for several months. I seem to recall hearing the "moving warehouse" excuse at some point recently.

My base gasket leaks as well, I've just been mopping up after every ride. I'm trying to hold out 'till around my 6k service to get it all handled at once (sort of).

Chaf, don't know if I offered it to you before, but a dealer here in SoCal had an '02 gauge cluster sitting in the display case last time I was there. If you're interested, maybe your dealer could work a trade or something with the dealer here?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Chaf, don't know if I offered it to you before, but a dealer here in SoCal had an '02 gauge cluster sitting in the display case last time I was there. If you're interested, maybe your dealer could work a trade or something with the dealer here?
You did mention that before, and thanks... At this point, morbid curiosity has actually taken over for me and I'm kind of wanting to see how long it takes these fools to sort the thing out through normal channels. The odometer works, and I'm so used to running w/o gauges at this point that it doesn't really matter. Besides, my experience suggests that that cluster on display doesn't stand real good odds anyway... :)

M.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Doesn't the torque of a v-twin cancel out the need to rev quickly? What real world benefit will a light flywheel or quicker reving engine give??

can some one give a situation or two that applies to the M900?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The as horsepower is a function of torque AND RPM, the lighter flywheel gets you into the meat of the powerband faster for better acceleration. It also gives you better throttle control and reduces the effects of engine braking when downshifting.

Losing 5 lbs of gyroscope should make your bike handle better as well.

IMO, noticeable benefits with no appreciable downside (other than cost).

--Fillmore

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ditto on what fillmore said... lighter flywheels have no impact on an engines power output, it just makes the engine more responsive to throttle imputs because there's less mass to rotate. it'd be the same lines of installing a lightweight clutch, knife edging/balancing a crank, or adding lightweight wheels.

only issue with lighter weight flywheels i've experienced is that you can't be ham fisted with the throttle... there's no mass to modulate quick unintended throttle changes... like giving it to much gas in the corner and spinning out a rear wheel.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
only issue with lighter weight flywheels i've experienced is that you can't be ham fisted with the throttle... there's no mass to modulate quick unintended throttle changes... like giving it to much gas in the corner and spinning out a rear wheel.
Yeah, but on my girly 750, that make it feel like a real man's bike... ;)

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Hey, I've got a 2v 750, a 4v 888, and soon to have a 2v 900. I'm just trying to cover all the angles....

--Fillmore

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can tart that ho up all you want but it's still just a sevenfitty.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yeah, but yours is just a 900 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and soon to have a 2v 900.
--Fillmore
oh yeah? did nooner give you engine envy during one of those trips to the left coast? or is this a new addition to the stable?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts