Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed the plugs in my 2002 620 Dark. There were no Champion plugs around, so I bought and used the ones that were listed as compatible on some website (www.sparkplug.co.uk). The tread is fine, and they work fine, but the rubber cover that completely covered the old plugs does not cover the new ones, since the non-electrode end of the plugs is a different shape. Basically, a bit of the spark plug is exposed/. Is this dangerous? Thanks for any replies!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
As long as the cap slides down far enough to cover the tip and fights tight, I don't see why it would be a problem. The ceramic piece is an insulator also, so if that's exposed, you should be ok. I think the NGK's are a better plug than the Champ's anyway, and I think most folks will back me up on that.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
There are two kinds of DCP family plug. One with teh threaded terminal lug on top of it and one with solid / fixed terminal lug on top. The fixed lug variant is not going to work with your spark plug wires.

You can use D8EA or DP8EA-9 family plugs, too.

Chris

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I use NGK DPR8EIX-9 on my bike and i think they are very good.A bit expensive though (16 euros each)

P

·
0 Posts
Just went throught the same thing with the plugs (DCPR7E); the cap on top of the plug is just threaded on and can be removed. Screw it off, and the plug wire cap should fit right on like the old champions.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I've used both NGK and Champion. The only difference is the size of the nut on the plug. I think Champion is 16mm and NGK is 18mm. So don't forget to carry a different sized plug spanner or just go back to Champion. I've always used NGK but got caught out recently when the dealer gave me new plugs in a nice Ducati box.

All this plug talk leads to the old joke, "Just because you've got a head shaped like a spark plug it doesn't mean you're a champion." Sorry.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
HIJACK!

What is the difference between DCPR9EVX -8 or -9? My manual doesn't give me the -8 or -9 designation, so I'm not sure which will work...especially since I'm trying to change from Champion to either ngk or bosch. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to some website I found last weekend, the last number refers to the spark plug gap (9= 9mm).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts