Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Being a complete newbie, this is my very first message.

I have lurked around here for quite a while, and enjoy all the fun and knowledge on this forum.

I am about to plunge in and getting myself a Ducati Monster. My question is what will be the wiser thing to do.

On my budget, I can either get a:
newer (98+) 600 driven app. 10.000 km
older (95) 900 driven app. 25.000 km

What would be the wiser choice? Is the 95 900 "too old"? Or does the additional power justify this age compared to a newer 600?

750/800 is not really an option where I am.

I have driven on a naked japanese 4 cyl. 600cc bike a couple of seasons, and enjoy it alot, but I need a v2 now :)

I am leaning against the 900 decision, but what do You think?

C.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I were in your shoes, I'd be leaning towards an older 900.
It sounds like you already have a few miles under your belt with a jap 600... in comparison, the duc 600 will feel pretty slow and underpowered.
Then again, it depends on what kind of riding you are into. If you are just looking for a cruiser to take you around town, then the monster 600 would do just fine.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
i'd probably lean towards the 900. those 2V engines are pretty rock solid if all of the maint. is kept up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just another vote for the 900. there should be plenty of life left in that motor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You for the replies/oppinions - I really appreciate it.

I will probably be back with more information, as soon as I get the bike - can't wait really!

C.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My M900 's a '95 model with 38k Kms on it. Still rock solid.
Go for the 900....you can always go easy on the throttle (ha, not !) ;D

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I'd go with the 900 too. 25.000 km is nothing for those bikes. Mine has been very dependable and there tons of accessories available for both body and engine mod's.

The 900's dry clutch alone is worth it! :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you're going to get much of a debate on this subject. 900, no question.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Even I'm going to recommend the 900.

AFIK, the 600 has got quite a bit less power than even the current 620. Since you've gotten used to I-4 600s, you'll probably be let down on a 600. If I had to choose between those two bikes, I'd go for the 900. (And I'm buying a 620 myself. )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts