Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to a forum made specifically for new riders. They were all talking about getting bikes that were 500ccs or less. Some were even saying that a newbie should not get more than 250ccs. What are they talking about? They all owned low cc japanese bikes. One of them said that a SV650 was too much bike for a newbie. Everywhere else I've looked people are saying that the SV650 is a perfect starter bike. Are these newbies just a bunch of pansies, or is there some sanity to their rantings?

·
Registered
248 Posts
They are not pansies. I am not sure how u started riding but u have to always remember that learning riding technique is important before power and speed. For someone who r not quite confident about their abilities stay in their comfort zone. No reason to call them pansies.. if u call them pansies.. unfortunately we have to call you "squid" :). doesnt feel very good now does it :). Yes sv650 is a good starter bike.. but then there has to be someone for all those beginner riders to explain them that it is a starter bike. Starter bikes usually should have linear power and torque curves, comfortable ride positions and low top speeds preferably but then u have a danger of outgrowing those bikes pretty soon if the top speed and power are too low. So it has to be a compromise. And 100-500cc "Japanese" bikes serve those purposes pretty well.
Not all of em find DML. So those who did find this site are lucky. So if u are a member to that new riders site.. explain to them why sv650 is a way to go and so should be the monster. I would be really upset if u actually tell them to buy sv instead of monster :).

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I think that's because many new sportbike riders want the latest 600 or liter bike.
There is a BIG difference between a CBR600RR/R6/ZX6R and a
SV650 or Monster 620/750.
A brand-new race-rep 600 is a bad starter bike...

SV's and monsters are pretty good.

I think older 500cc japanese bikes like a EX500 or GS500 are even better. They allow you to practice your skills on something that is less intimidating and you dont care as much when you goof up and drop the thing at a stop sign.

Newbies that get a bike that is too much for them usually scare themselves, or crash it (usually both), and they tend to not be motorcyclists very long.
Then they just tell stories about their badda$$ Gixxer/Ninja/whatever and how they 'high-sided it' or 'had to lay it down'. Then they had to get rid of it because they are too wild, and like to go too fast. ::)

·
Registered
724 Posts
> I think older 500cc japanese bikes
> like a EX500 or GS500 are even better.

yep. i would agree with that. i started of with a gs500, and just recently got my monster 750.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, my 2000 M900 arriving Monday will be the first bike I've owned and I have some riding experience, but not a heap.

I'm hoping that on my side will be the fact that I've owned fast cars and got that out of my system and now that I'm nearly 30 and have 12 years on the roads I have a healthy respect for what can and does go wrong.

Plus I'm a big guy, so a small bike would go nowhere with me on it ;D

·
Registered
221 Posts
i say it is all about maturity level. My first bike was a 600cc japanese sportbike. Never highsided, never laid it down...never rode without a helmet or even attempted a wheelie. sometimes i forget i have 900cc's of italian love between my legs. I say it is all about the rider rather than the bike.

"bikes don't kill people, people kill people"

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I vote for pansies - my 1st bike was a 1968 Harley sportster with a kick start. I wouldn't ride that peice-a-**** today if you paid me, but, it wasn't no sissy 50cc Honda!!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I forgot, you can't say sh*t here. G*ddamn bunch of p*ssy censors!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really think something small and nimble is really good for a starter. I think I was off to a good start back in the dark ages on my brother

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
A timely topic. A friend at work has been bitten by the moto bug and is taking an MSF class. He's asked for advice and I've basically said the 250 Rebel you learn on in MSF is likely to be a snooze before long. Things I did recommend were the Suz GS 500/550, SV, a BMW thumper, or possibly a dual sport. I'm all for getting something droppable for the first ride. (Mine was a H*nda CB360T - dating myself bigtime with that.)

Wouldn't you know he came in the next day and said he wanted a 600 or 620 monster. I must have had a bad effect on him. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, that guy coulda been me!

Nobody was more raw, or a bigger newbie, than me when I got my license last summer. But I bought a new 750S i.e. and took it slowly. Was it too much bike for me? In retrospect, no.

So I say ... PANSIES!!!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I think that a more linear power curve is more important for a newbie than the cc's..big diference in a M750i.e. and a GSXR 750...

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
my first was an ancient used 1969 honda 50..i think that was the year?...my cousin was "spoiled" and got a brand new honda 50...man we were young..i would go to his house and jump the thing all over his yard..we beat the sh*t out of it..my used ancient Honda 50 spent alot of time in pieces in the garage while i experimented with the engine etc....

then I started riding my moms honda 125 to school. small bike ...still a blast to ride...spent alot of time also ripping it up on my friends KX80 and DR 125.....I always dreamed of having an RM80 when i was a kid...dont know why ???

then it was on to a Suzuki GS-550..now that thing was cool!...2 stroke..sounded like a damn chain saw...and would really reel things in nice...inverted the hadle bars so that they were bent down...simple mod, major handling change.

and then came along my monster years later...my favorite yet ;)

I have worked my way up the bike ladder and enjoy the experience under my belt...keeps me safe and rubber side down....

I will admit, if i were to have just jumped onto my monster, or even my old Suzuki GS-550 without never having ridden another motorized bike before, it would have been a little overwhelming...Don't put down dem newbies...if anything show them your tips and tricks... I am no superman in the scope of things...remember anything you can do, someone can do better..

later

B

·
0 Posts
Hey I started on a 650 Cagiva and believe me the smaller bike was a blessing each time I dropped the bike on myself. The only reason I even got a 900cc bike is cauase I'm so damn big now. ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts