Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone briefly summarize basic differences in major road racing series and where Ducati plays out in all this. I am confused as to the differences in the above two series. Which one is the "king daddy"? Are there any good websites with video?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
superbikes are based on production machinery (gsxr, yzf, cbr, etc.). they are heavily modified street bikes.

motogp is the formula 1 of the motorcycle world. machines are not allowed to be based on production machinery and are prototypes purpose built from the ground up for racing.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
unless i wasn't clear, motogp is the "king daddy".

motogp.com has packages that include video of past and current races.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ttraynor said:
How competitive is Ducati in these respective racing classes?
ducati has been able to win motogp races, but not a championship. their overall competitiveness is hard to gauge because of some unfortunate incidents and injuries this last season. they did have moments of brilliance and speed throughout the year.

a ducati superbiike (999-f06) won both races and the world superbike championship. they narrowly (~8 points) lost out on the british superbike championship title, but did finish 2nd and 3rd overall with 10 wins between their two riders.

ducati has been less competitive in the us domestic (ama) superbike championship, but the rules are different as far as modifications allowed and the ducati seems to favor the (more flowing) european racetracks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
derby said:
ducati has been able to win motogp races, but not a championship. their overall competitiveness is hard to gauge because of some unfortunate incidents cough- Sete- cough and injuries this last season. they did have moments of brilliance and speed throughout the year.

a ducati superbiike (999-f06) won both races and the world superbike championship. they narrowly (~8 points) lost out on the british superbike championship title, but did finish 2nd and 3rd overall with 10 wins between their two riders.

ducati has been less competitive in the us domestic (ama) superbike championship, but the rules are different as far as modifications allowed and the ducati seems to favor the (more flowing) european racetracks.
fixed it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Come 2008 the FIM rules (they apply to WSBK at the moment) will be applied to most of the major national superbike (and supersport/superstock etc.) classes around the world. That includes AMA, BSB, Australian and Japanese series. With the rules being standardized the different manufacturers should be equally competitive in each series, as well as making it cheaper for the factories to compete around the world. Hopefully, this will bring with it the return of Ducati to AMA, and hopefully their return to competitiveness. These rules are also meant to include a CC boost for twins which will see the arrival of KTM and possibly Aprilia. There's also talk of MV coming back to SBK. Derby is right on Ducati's performance in MotoGP, it is what it is but circumstance seemed to play them a poor hand in '06 which they weren't able to overcome. For a small company like Ducati, 3rd in the championship is no small feat though.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Come 2008 the FIM rules (they apply to WSBK at the moment) will be applied to most of the major national superbike (and supersport/superstock etc.) classes around the world. That includes AMA, BSB, Australian and Japanese series. With the rules being standardized the different manufacturers should be equally competitive in each series, as well as making it cheaper for the factories to compete around the world.
i'm still curious how this is going to work out since worldsbk has that whole spec-tire (pirelli) thing goin' on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also don't forget that Jap bikes in MotoGP use Ducati Perf parts...

1) Yamaha M1 use Termignoni, marchesini, magneti marelli fuel injection
2) Kaw ZX-RR and Suz GSV-R use magneti marelli fuel injection
3) yam, honda, kaw, suz all use dry clutches (aka ducati circa 1993!)

hek, even the AMA jap bikes copied ducati and use hydralic control dry clutches even though they sell all wet clutches until this years suzuki gsx.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
don't go confusing the guy...

Silver said:
Also don't forget that Jap bikes in MotoGP use Ducati Perf parts...

1) Yamaha M1 use Termignoni, marchesini, magneti marelli fuel injection
2) Kaw ZX-RR and Suz GSV-R use magneti marelli fuel injection
so do the formula 1 ferrari, redbull, toyota, and renault teams, but i'd hardly call them ducati performance parts.

Silver said:
3) yam, honda, kaw, suz all use dry clutches (aka ducati circa 1993!)
i don't recall ever seeing a wet clutch on gp bike (125cc, 250cc, 500cc, 990cc, etc.). EVER.

Silver said:
hek, even the AMA jap bikes copied ducati and use hydralic control dry clutches even though they sell all wet clutches until this years suzuki gsx.
superbikes have used dry clutches for at least the last 17 years. for example, the honda rc30 superbikes (late 80s) had dry clutches.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
what about some of them damn toyota consumer cars -- ripped off ducati and started using Brembo brakes. [cheeky]

dry clutch is a racing thing, not a ducati thing... as derb more eloquently said.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
bigiain said:
Yeah, any minute now someone's gonna try and tell up Ducati didn't invent the desmo valve train!

big
do i gotta break out my mercedes links agian? [cheeky] ;D

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
bigiain said:
Didn't notice the link on the exclamation mark you quoted? They weren't the first either...

;)

big
i missed your link, but almost linked to it myself. i know mercedes weren't first first but they're easy to point to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Who cares all the tech crap ::).
All motorcycle (roadracing) is good but World Superbike is the crown jewel for Ducati. [thumbsup]
Ducati has gotten more competitive in Motogp in the past year and this year should be there best chance at a world title since they entered the series in '03 .( I think it was 2003..?)
The AMA Superbike series WAS a poor representation of Ducati racing. Hopefully in 2008 they will bring the 1098 to the series and smoke it right.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Am I wrong or is somewhat amazing that a small company like Ducati, is even in the running for a championship--and that preliminary testing on showed their 800 to be fastest. It just seems like they shouldn't even be able to compete in dollars-no-object racing.....I like underdogs.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
not fastest anymore, or not in sepang anyway.

ducati has always been synonymous with racing; it's part of the corporate culture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.