Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

newbie question

871 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Duc944SSSP 
#1 ·
Ok, New title, new registration, insurance.......inspection?! where do I get that and where does it go on the bike :mad:

H

#2 ·
i see you're in nova. look in your phone book for an inspection station. almost all car/bike dealerships and maintenance/repair places are registered inspection stations. if you bought it from a dealer, it probably has been inspected already.

the sticker goes on your fork leg, iirc, and costs $12 annually.

look for a sign like this on a facility:

#4 ·
Reaching back in my past life here... :police:

There is no grace period for an inspection technically, and +1 on Liam's advice about the dealers. While there is no difference in the inspection manuals from one place to another a dealer will likely have people doing the inspection who 1) know more "nit-picking" type things to look for, and 2) a major chunk of their profit comes from service. Therefore, if an inspector can find something wrong he/she may have more incentive to do so. The moral aspect of that we can all come to our own conclusions about.

As for title and registration, the best bet for up-to-date answers is www.dmvnow.com. That's VA DMV, and at least the website is fairly user-friendly. Get a PIN for online transactions as soon as you can, that will save you at least some time by letting you do certain things without ever setting foot in a DMV, which should be your goal. Without knowing the particulars of your situation I couldn't say what documents you may need etc.

As for insurance, the DMV website will also tell you about mandatory minimums, but any VA agent has to sell you at least that anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. You do have to have insurance to register the bike, but I've never had to show proof, just sign a line on the registration application form. Probably better safe than sorry though, the penalties are pretty nasty if something happened...

In short, find insurance, get an inspection (if you have Out of State tags that doesn't matter, the inspection and registration have nothing to do with one another) and double-check what DMV will need online before you stand in line for hours. Or you could do what I do, find a really small town with a DMV branch and make a ride of it. I use Tappahannock DMV, and not only is the wait usually next to nothing, they're actually friendly!

#5 ·
+2??? (I can't stand saying +1) on the advice about going to a gas station rather than a dealer. Usually they have a folding sign sitting out near the curb. Almost every gas station that has a service bay is also an inspection station. Every inspector is able to do cars and bikes at these stations.

The guy I take my bike to has never touched my bike. He checked the lights and had me toot the horn, but he had me do all the controls. He shined his little flashlight in the general direction of the engine. Not quite sure what he was looking for, but hey, I got the sticker. [thumbsup]

#6 ·
Each state is different. If the vehicle is registered in VA, then a VA state saftey inspection is required, If in Florida, then there is NO safety inspection required!! Those are the only two states I know for sure.

Oh,...and the VA inspection expires at the END of the month of the date indicated on the sticker. So if you wait until 12/01/2006 to get insepcted, your next inspection is due before 01/01/2008.

Also... I could be wrong but I don't think it has to go on the left fork, that is the typical location, but as long as it is on the left side of the vehicle I think your GTG.

#7 ·
pveltri said:
Also... I could be wrong but I don't think it has to go on the left fork, that is the typical location, but as long as it is on the left side of the vehicle I think your GTG.
True, I have SS plates on my 2 Victory's and my Monster 900, mounted on the left side.

#8 ·
The placement of the sticker doesn't seem to make that much difference. On my S4R, the sticker is on the fork, on my SS its on a plate, on my ST4s its on the left hand side of the swing arm.

Bill

#9 ·
From section 46.2-1163 of the Code of Virginia, "If the vehicle is a motorcycle, the approval sticker may be placed on a plate securely fastened to the motorcycle for the purpose of displaying the sticker or in any other location designated by the Superintendent" The "plate securely fastened..." bit was a recent amendment (2003 I think) to allow for not trashing a beautiful bike with a big ugly sticker. Otherwise the location designated by the Superintendent is always on the left, and as far to the front as possible for any vehicle without a windshield. On many bikes with fairings the swingarm is the most forward part available that the sticker won't completely ruin, and so is used fairly frequently. On a Monster either get a plate or pretty much count on getting a sticker plastered on your fork.

#10 ·
Most of the service stations I have had inspections done at will ask where you want the sticker placed. Not sure if they've read section 46.2.1163 or asked for the superintendant's permission...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.