Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First off, great site and board.

I'm heavily leaning towards getting a Monster, love the style. I don't have much experience with sport bikes and I'm not necessarily into speed but like the style and handling.

First question - what's different with the "dark" model of monsters?

Second question - what size of bike do you recommend? I'm not too concerned with speed or power but more so with comfort as I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I dont know all the details about the dark monster. I think it is the frame and tank color possibly. I am 5'9 210# and ride a 620. It suits me fine as far as my inseam and carting my fatt butt around. People have mistaken it for a 900.
As far as size goes, it depends on your budget and what is out there. What area do you live in? Maybe some members could give you some good input on where to do business.

S

·
0 Posts
The dark models typical differences are: matte paint, no seat cowl, single front disc.

Recommended Monster: What's your experience level? How long have you been riding? What are you riding now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so far guys,

To answer the questions:
I have a couple years of riding experience but no sport bike experience. I have a 'cruiser' type bike but find it a bit boring.

I'm somewhat concerned with cost...but I'm more concerned with comfort especially due to my height/weight...I'm not sure if the 620/800/1000 are different in seat height, length to foot pegs and handlebars.

Of couse speed and performance are important but not as important as keeping the cost down but remaining comfortable.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
All of the 620/800/1000 are the same size. You can park the three next to each other and if you don't know what to look for, like different clutch cover or lack of oil cooler, you will have a hard time telling which is which. In other words, they should all fit you the same.

The 1000 has nice power, but it's not uncontrollably fast. It's not a bike to be afraid of. The 620 should have enough power if you're truly not concerned with speed or power.

If your number one goal is saving money while buying a new Monster, you should be happy with the 620.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
...And another thing.

I'm also 6'1" and other than my knees being bent a bit more than I would like, I fit the Monster very well. Apparently I've adjusted to the knee position, because it no longer bothers my after long rides.

S

·
0 Posts
I think that all the 2V Monsters have nearly identical measurements for everything but seat height. The 620 being about an inch closer to the ground.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My BF is 6'2 and has no problem riding the monster, when I let him ;)

M

·
0 Posts
The S has goodies like aluminum swingarm, gloss paint, seat cowl, front fairing, and on the 1000 the S gets you fully adjustable suspension. The S also has a higher seat than the dark.

I also think the 1000S has a slightly higher seat still, although it's only .1" or something like that.

Honestly, I don't think the comfort is all it's cracked up to be for us big guys. I'm 6'2", 240lbs. I found my CBR929 more comfortable than the monster. The bars are higher, which takes some weight off the wrists, but I find my elbows hurt now, and didn't before. The pegs are higher (in relationship to the seat) as well. If you were 5'10 it would be perfect. Higher bars, higher seat and maybe lower pegs and I'll be happy. I'll keep tweaking it until I get it right - because I'm not selling this bike. I love it .. :)

As far as recommendations, I'd say either 800 or 1000, depending on your budget. I think you get a lot for your money going 620 to 800, and not so much going to 1000. I bought the 1000 anyways.

T

·
0 Posts
I ride the M1000 and I'm 6'-1". When I first got it I was pushing 245#. I was not too comfortable. The bike was too cramped feeling but mostly because my weight was a little much, you know kind of hard to bend and crouch or tuck in. I managed to shed 25# over the last few months and now my 6'-1 frame bends and fits the bike better. I'll say i'm comfortable enough to do 1-1 1/2 hour runs between stretches. There is nothing boring about these bikes and you will love the handling.
Good luck, Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah, since you mentioned that you would like these bikes for the handling, I thought that I would make some comments. When I took the bike out during the break in period, I fell in love with the handling. Compared to my previous 30 years on bikes, this thing felt like it was on rails. I became more practiced over time and began increasing my speed until I was no longer thrilled with the way the machine acted in the corners. I became more in tune to the machine I guess. But I found the answer here on the board. I needed to set up the suspension to my weight and riding style. Now with sag and damping set I'm back on rails at higher speeds.
I think this is a key point for us heavier riders.
Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Though I may not match you all with weight, I've got you all beat on height. At 6'4", I do find the positon a bit cramped, but I'm not complaining. I like the sporty position, though I do find I need to stop every now and then to stretch (particularly my hips). I suppose my svelte 180lbs helps a bit... I certainly wouldn't want to go cruising across the country on it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts