Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Monster Pros,

I'm in the process of acquiring my full licence - and have monster on my mind as a first bike , I have been reading countless reviews - been to stores sat on Japanese Fazers / Hornets & Bandits - I was scared into going Japanese by most stores saying ducatis are style over content & maintenance will chew me up & spit me out.
Regardless - I have recently made my mind up on a used monster as first bike - its the only bike that gives me goose bumps when I see - hear & sit on one.

Anyway .... I have seen a really very nice Monster Dark 750 with full service history , jet kit & carbon extras & termigoni cans but the mileage is just over 25 thousand on the clock - this scares me but the price is great & within my budget - please let me know what you think.

I am just about get my card out to buy, as it looks like a relatively good bargin but, what are the pitfalls on a bike like this, am I out of my depth ? will I be forever going to the workshop or is that all conspiracy talk ?
I'm hoping its a great bike to learn on & for the price, I don't mind a few drops in my first year ( much rather on this machine than a brand spanking new one like the 695 etc ( ideally none ..) but in the real world we all know its bound to happen at some point.

Any pointers - tips etc - the usual advice to a new rider ( confident ) would be greatly appreciated.

I had a small go on it - in a car park & I love the grizzly power but I felt limited on the steering ie: u turns had to be alot wider cmpare to the bikes Im training ( er 5 - honda 500 etc ) it almost forced me to do a 3 point turn in ... maybe thats my lack of experience but again - would love to hear from anyone about the chic machine.

Kind Regards

Moondust

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Welcome to the board! You've been hooked, you poor fool, be perepared to be chewed up and spit out, there is no turning back now [laugh] Do have a third party look at the bike and if it is due for a major service consider that in the price. If you have been looking at Fazers and Hornets I assume you are not from the USA. Your location may help others with advice. Also read the following: http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?board=36.0
You can skip the stuff on the red key and octane.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Howie & cheers for the Welcome! ;D

I am indeed from Europe - I kinda know I'm probably heading towards the ducati slaughter house but even if I get only 6 months of newbie riding out of this machine - I will be satisfied - the price works out to be roughly estimated at $3300 after converting from £ pounds but the dollar is almost 2 to the Pound so It may seem expensive to you yanks :D
I checked around & when I came across this bike - regardless of the milage 26,000 - it gave a gut feeling - it has had full service from ducati dealers & the next service is due at 30,000 - so I should have 4 thou of joy.... hopefully.

The only other thing is - the neutral light stays on - so I need to replace the sensor for that. I don't have any ducati experience so - I guess I'm learning on this one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's pretty much the bike I have (execpt no service records :'() and mine had 21K on it, but I paid a little bit more for it. I think it's been a great first bike so far. Practice slow speed turning in an empty parking lot though. I just went out and did that today at the DMV testing area, now I can finally make turns tighter than the smallest circle they have painted (I sure was getting pissed off until I nailed it tho). It's a feel thing, I guess, you'll get the hang of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the neutral light. I don't even trust mine. Every once in a while it will light up if I'm not in neutral, so I go by the feel of clicking it in with my foot (which you'll also get the hang of in a little time). I make sure to either switch into neutral before I stop, or else I release the clutch lever carefully feeling for any pull on the engine and hold the brakes on if I'm already stopped. On my bike, I found that when I was first just barely starting out it was easier to go into neutral from 1st rather than 2nd.

Congrats on the find! I'm sure you'll get plenty of joy with the new machine and have many adventures.

On last thing - I was lucky enough to have frame sliders on my bike when I bought it. If yours doesn't already, I highly recommend getting some. I dropped mine in the parking lot the day I bought it, fortunately I was able to slow the fall down a little, but the sliders saved a lot of stuff from getting bent or scratched. Only scratches were on the sliders!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Love my bike which is the same as yours except '01 instead. This was my first bike. IMHO, I rather purchase something with lower mileage on a Ducati. But I was taking a safer approach since it's my first time owning a bike, first time owning a Ducati. I bought my from the dealer + extend 2 yr warranty just in case crap fell from the sky. The turn radius does suck at first. I've gotten a few miles under so I can do U turns from one gas pump to the other pretty easily now. Just lean the bike with your arms really hard and step on the outter peg with your body shifted outside and you'll decrease the turning radius alot.

Neutral light on my Ducati's all jacked up. Every one in time times, it'll give me a false neutral. I've learned that when you shift to neutral prior to stopping, it'll be fine. If you shift to neutral at stop, it'll either be false or hard to get there.

Great bike. Get a mechanic to check it out or something. Repair could cost you an arm and few legs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Of course go easy with your right hand. Too much throttle and anything within 50 yards becomes an immediate threat - too much brake and it feels like you hit a brick wall. Wear brown corduroy trousers and always carry a spare set of underwear and you'll be OK.

·
Registered
78 Posts
25 thousand on the clock? Is that miles or kilos. Don't matter much, there's plenty of M750's around with close to or past 100 thou miles. I think you should go for it. I love my"99 M750. Just installed a 14 tooth drive sproket,and now it feels kinda like a 900.
WZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, its just over 26 thousand " miles " on the clock - I've brought it already - I'll ride it , get used to it - then start on the tooth drive & other bits later but , it came with termignoni cans & a jet kit & I have been given the original ducati cans just in-case but, I love the sound of the termz. My only gripe, is the neutral light but, that seems to be common on this forum. The steering does feel different , unusual to what i was used to , on my training - dare I say.. . it feels a little out of control :-[ - but I am a new rider as well as a new monster rider , so I hope my steering alignment isn't out. ( Anyway to check that ? )

All m750 owners - I appreciate all this info - keep it coming, cheers :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Moondust, can you 'splain this out of control feeling some more?
Have you checked tire pressure?. You can quick check rear wheel alignment by checking the graduation marks are equal at the chain adjusters.Marks arent always accurate though.
Tell us exactly what driving conditions causes this feeling .
Wayne Z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts