Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been able to find clear answers to a few simple questions:

1. A regular ECU can be flashed with the program from a DP ECU? How hard is this, and how legit?

2. A regular ECU is not programable. But is a DP ECU programmable? The DP ECU comes with the Termi exhaust, but is it setup just for that exhaust and can't be tweaked or changed just like the stock ECU?

3. Just bought a set of Termi pipes for S2R 1000. The box was open but all the parts were wrapped up and appear new. However the ECU had a handwritten sticker on it with correct part number (96517406B) but another sticker on it says "1098 08 EU". Does this mean I have a flashed ECU that was originally off a 1098?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From searching through a huge amount of posts on the net I'm 90% (every so often there's a post about how the DP ECU isn't programable blah blah blah) sure the DP is programable via a computer system from Ducati, so that bodes well for swapping in say, an Arrow exhaust later.

I could find very little info about flashing an ECU, though someone said it's a bit of a pain in the ass and requires some seriously expensive equipment. Hopefully this means the ECU I have isn't some odd-ball thing someone hacked together to sell to me. I guess they ran out of nicely printed stickers at the DP factory?

Would anyone be willing to post a photo of the stickers / labels on their ECU (96517406B)? You can upload them here if you need to:

http://gallery.me.com/lookoutforchris#100133&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=13

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put the Termi kit on my 696 and the dealer explained that the stock ECU was NOT programable, but the DP ECU that comes with the Termi kit was programable. They put the bike on a Dyno and set-up the ECU. That was about 4,000 miles ago. Bike runs great with the Termi kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bigfatfxr here....yes the DP management system can be tweaked and yes a Duck/tech has to do it with Ducatis magic box??.

When I installed my termi exhaust, airbox and management system, on my 08 Tricolore I had that done in conjunction with a dyno runs with the air-fuel sniffer, it is the only way to do it and do it right!!!! I now run 13.5:1 > 13.8:1 air/fuel (which is perfect) right across the rpm range and 145 HP at the crank. It's worth while!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi "LookOutForChris",
Just wondering what luck you've had with your Termi Kit. The reason I'm asking is cuz I have a similar situation. I just got a Termi Kit sent to me for my 06 s2r1000 from a company called "Desmoporsche". The exhaust and air filter appear new. The DP ECU however seams a bit fishy cuz there is no Ducati sticker on it. It does have the correct part#, (96517406B) on it though. Also there was another separate sticker that said it was for a different model. What sort of ECU did I get exactly? Original? Flashed?, Used?, Reprogrammed? What?
Maybe it's just cuz I really don't understand all the technical aspects but I just want to be asured that they didn't screw me and that when I have it installed at the dealer it will run properly.
I have an appointment for installation next week but I just thought I'd ask you if you have any tips after your reasearch. Did you get it put on? Does it run properly? Did the Techs at the dealer tell you anything , give you any tips?
Thanks, Frank.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi All,

If you have a Marelli ECU, if not mistaken 2002-2008, before the Siemens unit, IT can be reflashed to DP specs for about $250.00 as average. The Siemens ECU cannot be reflashed and you'll need the DP ECU in either stock or modded form.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi All,

If you have a Marelli ECU, if not mistaken 2002-2008, before the Siemens unit, IT can be reflashed to DP specs for about $250.00 as average. The Siemens ECU cannot be reflashed and you'll need the DP ECU in either stock or modded form.
Thats not correct the Siemens ecu can be re-flashed I think 2 shops in US are doing re-flashes they re-flash to DP ecu map & they are not tuneable you get one map and thats it. Theres is also a shop in Italy who has figured out how to crack the stock ecu & can re-map the siemens ecu but He charges 400 euro and you can even customize you dash reading up to 14 characters. I'm in contact with him now trying to figure out that when He's done can another shop re-map the ecu. If another shop can re-map after He's done will be sending him mine ASAP.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thats not correct the Siemens ecu can be re-flashed I think 2 shops in US are doing re-flashes they re-flash to DP ecu map & they are not tuneable you get one map and thats it. Theres is also a shop in Italy who has figured out how to crack the stock ecu & can re-map the siemens ecu but He charges 400 euro and you can even customize you dash reading up to 14 characters. I'm in contact with him now trying to figure out that when He's done can another shop re-map the ecu. If another shop can re-map after He's done will be sending him mine ASAP.
Link,
My apologies, what I meant was, " to my knowledge..."
Once again sorry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Link,
My apologies, what I meant was, " to my knowledge..."
Once again sorry.
No problem mate, I just wish Ducati had not started to use these closed loop systems it's nuts that a company so proud of there racing pedigree would produce a bike you can't tune without spending a bunch of money.

·
Registered
635 Posts
No problem mate, I just wish Ducati had not started to use these closed loop systems it's nuts that a company so proud of there racing pedigree would produce a bike you can't tune without spending a bunch of money.

To have the MM ECU reflashed for $250.00 plus S&H is not much money; to be able to purchase such ECU is another story.

Thanks God there're some vendors who are stocking them, need to get $$$ to get a NEW DP ECU for my M620.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't believe the DP ECU is programmable. I think you can set trim like the stocker and that's it, otherwise people wouldn't get the DP ECU and then buy a Power Commander to piggyback it. I had Desmo-Porsche do mine and bought the VDSTS software so I set my own trim, reset TPS and read error codes myself.
If you want a fully programmable ECU you'll have to spring for a Nemesis or similar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe the DP ECU is programmable. I think you can set trim like the stocker and that's it, otherwise people wouldn't get the DP ECU and then buy a Power Commander to piggyback it. I had Desmo-Porsche do mine and bought the VDSTS software so I set my own trim, reset TPS and read error codes myself.
If you want a fully programmable ECU you'll have to spring for a Nemesis or similar.
From what I've heard your correct you can not re-map/program the DP ecu. What bike are you talking about ? I'm trying to find a solution for a 696 but desmoporsche web site dose not list any ecu for a 696
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what I've heard your correct you can not re-map/program the DP ecu. What bike are you talking about ? I'm trying to find a solution for a 696 but desmoporsche web site dose not list any ecu for a 696
Thanks
You may want to steer clear of Desmoporsche. I just bought a headlight fairing from them off ebay and got hosed. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure, but keep in mind that this is just one man's opinion.

I purchased a windshield fairing from them off ebay. It was a 2nd class part (cracked clear coat along the headlight edge... not bad and easy to fix). I knew what I was buying needed clear coat work, so that's not my complaint. Fixing clear coat is an easy fix if you know what your doing and willing to put in the time and energy.

My issue is that they failed to mention that it wasn't made with a lower windscreen catch. It wasn't a matter of "damaged in shipping" as they claimed but rather a "made like crap and a completely useless" part. When I contacted them about it they said, "can't you use some epoxy to secure the windscreen to the fairing?"... Really!!? That's their solution to selling me a part that wouldn't work even if it didn't have the clear coat issue? That's just shady. Could I epoxy it in place and make it work? Sure I could, if I never wanted to switch out my windscreen again. Now I have a carbon fiber headlight fairing with a touch of clear coat cracking that is completely useless unless you permanently affix your windscreen to it with epoxy.

Even if I fix the small amount of clear coat cracking I'd still be left with something that I need to use JB Weld on to make work with my windscreen. It's basically a really pretty desk decoration at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess you cant please everyone!

Sure, but keep in mind that this is just one man's opinion.

I purchased a windshield fairing from them off ebay. It was a 2nd class part (cracked clear coat along the headlight edge... not bad and easy to fix). I knew what I was buying needed clear coat work, so that's not my complaint. Fixing clear coat is an easy fix if you know what your doing and willing to put in the time and energy.

My issue is that they failed to mention that it wasn't made with a lower windscreen catch. It wasn't a matter of "damaged in shipping" as they claimed but rather a "made like crap and a completely useless" part. When I contacted them about it they said, "can't you use some epoxy to secure the windscreen to the fairing?"... Really!!? That's their solution to selling me a part that wouldn't work even if it didn't have the clear coat issue? That's just shady. Could I epoxy it in place and make it work? Sure I could, if I never wanted to switch out my windscreen again. Now I have a carbon fiber headlight fairing with a touch of clear coat cracking that is completely useless unless you permanently affix your windscreen to it with epoxy.

Even if I fix the small amount of clear coat cracking I'd still be left with something that I need to use JB Weld on to make work with my windscreen. It's basically a really pretty desk decoration at this point.

You know I was not going to say anything but your bashing is just not fair!

1- You bought a damaged part on a no reserve auction that we listed at $9.99
2- We have pics from every angel of the part
3- You got a great deal why are you complaining?

You know some people get in the motorcycle business because they think its cool and they can make money at it.

I got into this business because I got tired of dealing with Shi* dealers. The longer I do this I see why so many good dealers turn into a**holes. You guessed it, its because of ungrateful and never happy customers. Anyone who has done business with us knows that we are very fair and will bend over back wards to make sure the customers happy. Enough rambling for now. Good night.

·
Registered
7 Posts

You know some people get in the motorcycle business because they think its cool and they can make money at it.

I got into this business because I got tired of dealing with Shi* dealers. The longer I do this I see why so many good dealers turn into a**holes. You guessed it, its because of ungrateful and never happy customers. Anyone who has done business with us knows that we are very fair and will bend over back wards to make sure the customers happy. Enough rambling for now. Good night.
You know, you're right. That wasn't fair of me. I've dealt with too many crap dealers and truthfully, your initial response just threw you right in with them. It wasn't fair of me to bash you without talking to you again to see if you'd work with me. I genuinely apologize. I'm not being sarcastic either.

I disagree with your assessment of getting a great deal, but hey, I'll agree to disagree. I knew it was damaged to begin with, that wasn't the issue, the missing tabs that should have been on the fairing is the issue. If you say you didn't notice that it was missing then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I've heard nothing but good about Desmoporsche except you don't re-flash the 696/1100 ecu;D Just kidding but I think there is a good market out there if someone reliable put's out a tuneable ecu or at least a re-flash, they say he 696 was one of Ducatis biggest sellers. Do you guys have anything for the 696 ? Or any plans for something ?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts