Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been quite a while for me, but it's time for another street bike. I've had been looking into maybe a V-Max or a ZRX1200. Then it happened, I got passed on an uphill strech of road by an "arrest me red" Ducati Monster with pipes loud enough to rattle my windows. Instantly, I made up my mind on my next ride. My Japanese fixation had come to an end....

My first issue was.....new or used? With new, I'd have that new bike smell, dealer service and never ending payments. With used, I can score a late model ride, maybe even with some tasty mods that I would eventually do to my new ride anyway. As far maintaining a used duck, the wrench turning duties don't scare me, but the price of parts does? So, in your guys opinions, which way should I go?

With new, the new 900 S4, the one with the butt-ugly catalytic converter leading up to the twin high mounted exhuast on the same side just doesn't do it for me. At $13,495.00, I'm gonna have to pass. But I have seen the new 800 Monster and it has me thinking "Do I really need a 900? Wouldn't an 800 be easier on the out-the-door price as well as on insurance?". So a new 800 or maybe a new 1-2 year old 900 left over special might get me on a new Duc. Any recommendations?

As far as used, what should I be on the lookout for when shopping for a 750 or 900? Are there any problem areas particular to these models? Are any years better than others? How about high wear items and the cost of replacement parts? I've cruised around this board a bit and picked up some choice ideas for mods. If I can score a decent used Duc, I'd be just that much closer to my perfect bike. So, any ideas on which way I should go on the "pre-owned" Duc?

Thanks,
WannaDuc

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I'm thinking between 5 and 8K......
I just bought a red '00 m900 on ebay. Had that deal fallen through, I was talking with a guy in Florida who was selling his 00 M900 for $6500 shipped. He is also a DML'r. I think it has about 6K miles, and has had the 6k service. Good guy, I think and good bike too. Maybe you should criuse the classified section of this board. Look for M900's. He's in FL and lists a phone number in the ad. Oh, and his bike is "arrest me red"
:)
Kevin

·
Registered
400 Posts
With that budget you've got quite a few options. No wonder you're confused. ;)

But seriously. At the upper end of your budget you're close to the purchase price of a new M800. At the lower end you're looking at a nice late 90's M900.

There's nothing wrong with a used Monster that's in excellent condition. The only thing you won't have is the warranty you'd get with a new bike.

As far as the problem areas go, my used monster doesn't have any. One thing to look out for are the Marzocchi forks that came on the M750's in '98. I'm not sure if the M900's had them nor what years they show up on Monsters other than 98. They say that the Marzocchi's are not rebuildable and that all you can do with them is change the fluid and seals.

Anyway, it's really up to you as to which way to go. Give it a lot of thought and whatever you decide won't be the wrong way to go. ;D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got an 02' M900 in August for 8k out the door, you can probably get a similar or probably better deal now if you can find a new 02 or maybe an 03 1000. I know it's probably stupid, but I like knowing that my bike is new, and nobody has screwed it up except me. Just my 02.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.....Now you can see the bind that I'm in. I'm wavering between a new 800 and a late model 900. I haven't owned a street bike in over ten years and I'm raring to get back into it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Stock, the ergos are pretty much the same on all the Monsters. But that can be altered. I'm 6'2" and 215 and installed clip-ons and now the ergos are great. The stock bar was too uncomfortable for me; my sleeve length is 35".

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree that the ride comfort is about the same on all the models with small variations, I was in pretty much the same boat when I bought my bike, they had a new 02' M900 for the same price that they had a new 03' M800. The deciding factor for me was the fact that I'm a fata$$, and the extra horsepower, and the extra 100 cc's would be put to use, and the fact that the resale values were really a lot higher on the 900's that I'd been seeing on Cycletrader, so I took a year older new bike with 100 more cc's for the same price as the 800. Just my opinion, I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the 800 (although I'd miss that dry clutch rattle ;D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think you will be just as happy with either the 800-900 monsters. the hp is almost the same when stock. im still waiting for the pcIII for my 800 and then ill get the pipes and get back to you on the power increase. as far as new/used, new you will have the usual break in issues motor, tires, etc. if you buy a used and cared for bike you are ahead of the game. valves are not that hard to do, once you do it the first time. sizes are identical, im 5'9" and 160lbs. fits me just fine. i use mine for a daily driver about 80 miles round trip also, great back road blaster, and comfy for a naked on the hwy. very easy to slot into spots in traffic and goes like stink when provoked!!! if you do your own maintenance get a center stand and install it or get a rear stand. other than that, i think you can find a deal on a new bike 02/03 at a dealer through the winter for a considerable discount. i wish you luck. cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
......hey, thanks for all the imputs on my post. It's looking like I'll just cruise for the best deal, leaning toward the 900.

......One last question on this thread, what's the deal with the 6,000 service? What does it consist of? Is it included in the price of a new bike, or could it be a bargaining point? Also, if I end up going used, is it something I can pull off in my garage? (Been a gearhead for 20 years, so I'm not shy about turning wrenches.) If it takes some kind of "specialized million dollar calibrated Duc-o-meter" that only a dealership has, how much would a dealer 6,000 mile service run?

Again....Thanks,
WannaDuc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im still waiting for the pcIII for my 800 and then ill get the pipes and get back to you on the power increase.
just ordered mine for my duc from fbf so i'll have to see how good it is.

what's the deal with the 6,000 service? What does it consist of? Is it included in the price of a new bike, or could it be a bargaining point?
It was included with my bike. Both 600 and 6000 service. Cost wise they seem to vary but in the $300-$500 range is average? (correct me if i'm wrong). I would have to check my service receipt, since I didnt pay anything I'm not sure how much it would be.

I plan on wrenching on it as much as I can. Its just a fun.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
You sound like a cool enough dude so I am going to add my 2 cents here. First off, stop fibbin' about not owning a street bike for the last ten years - the GS1000 counts, even if it is a rice-burner. Second, does your wife know that you are starting the process of shopping the bike because once it starts, two weeks later you will find an arrest-me-red Monster under your stairwell like I did...and I already told you that you can ride mine anytime you want if you would just come down to Albuquerque once in a while to see your old mom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts