Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I can't help you much with your specific problem, but I always thought it was interesting that my air-cooled M900 didn't come with a temp gauge...I am running an aftermarket cluster, but I'm pretty sure that the stockers don't have it either. I'm assuming that means that my bike can get pretty hot--maybe yours is similar? I've sat at idle for 10 minutes or so on a 105 degree day and not had any issues (that I'm aware of.) Now that I think about it, I've never heard or read about anyone ever overheating...maybe I live in a cave or something?

You should try this in Tech actually. I'm sure someone here knows the answer but more people will read it over there. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
My 620 runs from 220-250 in SF traffic. It seems the temp usually runs around 240 in SF. On a really hot day, in city traffic or on slow hwy, I've seen it run close to 270. On cooler days, 240-250. I've been told not to worry until it gets near 300.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I saw similar temps as Ducky. I think the highest I saw mine run up to was about 280, but it was a really hot day out.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
mine use to run about 240 in traffic.

I rode with one of the Arizonia Dml'ers this summer and she says hers was normally around 270-290 range and havent had any problems.

So with the temps we expierence here, youll be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Isn't there some coolant called "engine ice" that's supposed to help your bike stay cool? I was looking into it when my track bike was overheating. I think it works on the street but not on the track because it's slicker than regular antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
for water-cooled bikes, there are a lot of additives available... for the 2-valvers, no-dice.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Are you being sarcastic? If not, read on...

For water-cooled bikes, the additives go in the water. For air-cooled bikes, the only additives would go in your oil. I'm not aware of engine-friendly oil additives for cooling... mebbe there are some, but I was told if it was a problem, I would be better off retrofitting a water cooler.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Cuz on a 2V, it'll upset the alkaline level of your blinker fluid. Same reason we we don't feed you more than 2 margaritas in an eve. [laugh]

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Water Wetter some people use.. it uses molecules that are coiled but when energy in the form of heat or work (stepping on it) it un coils and becomes straight and absorbs energy cooling better. They tried using it for fighting fires but the straighting effect also makes the water slicker and firefighters were slipping and falling... I think they let you use it on the track because although it's slicker then regular water it's easier to clean up then coolant...

At least that's how it was explained to me... In advanced fluid dynamics class.. :)

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Tigre said:
Are you being sarcastic? If not, read on...

For water-cooled bikes, the additives go in the water. For air-cooled bikes, the only additives would go in your oil. I'm not aware of engine-friendly oil additives for cooling... mebbe there are some, but I was told if it was a problem, I would be better off retrofitting a water cooler.
not being sarcastic... :angel: I wasn't sure if any of the 2v engines were water cooled. (I do valves--that's all I know on these engines...can't even change my own oil...remember? [cheeky])

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
can't even change my own oil...remember? [cheeky])
Nothing to be ashamed of. It would probably take me upwards of 15 minutes to try to change my oil with my broken collarbone/wrist bones/hand. :D

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I just think it's amusing that you can do your own valves but don't know that 2Vs are air cooled. No judgment there; it's just funny.

BTW, back to the original topic. It's pretty common to run over 250 in stop n' go traffic. Don't worry about it. If you hit 300, it's starting to get hot.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
While waiting in line at Yosemite when me and George got close to 300 we pulled off and let them cool off in the shade... It was higher altitude and we were just stopped and idling in traffic...

I range from 200-275 pretty easily during the area's I might be riding in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.