Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the MSF course last weekend. I never even started a motorcycle before last Saturday, and now I'm hooked. I've "stolen" my pops Sportster and ridden that around just for a quick fix (he lives 1 hr away) and we both went looking at all the different bikes out there. Our last stop was DeSimone in Cherry Hill, they carry Victory, BMW, and Ducati. Finally got a chance to sit on a Monster 620 (which was the reason I took the MSF class in the first place - one look and I fell in love).

Can anyone here tell me why I should buy the Monster 620 over the a cruiser such as a V-star or Shadow? What are the characteristics of Ducs that you guys love so much? I really want to find a used Monster 620 Dark somewhere, but I am resisting the urge and doing as much research as I can before taking the plunge. I've been poking around on this site and really like what I see so far, I don't know how to explain it, but this forum feels like home for some reason.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in a motorcycle to be honest with you. Initially I felt I wanted one to cruise around on a lazy Sunday or for quick trips to the grocery store for a half gallon of milk etc. I don't think it will be my daily driver, but who knows? Maybe I'll become an addict?

Anyways, I'm looking for someone to just encourage me to stop wasting time and buy the Monster. I also want to see what exactly it is about Ducatis that you all love. I don't think it will take much effort to get me to buy a Duc, but I'm trying to be smart about my first bike.

Nice to meet you all.

Rob

·
Registered
781 Posts
robman8023 said:
I also want to see what exactly it is about Ducatis that you all love.
See if your shop has a demo. You will see what we all love. Then park your new Ducati next to the first Shadow you see and it will only confirm what you already know. ;)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
robman8023 said:
Finally got a chance to sit on a Monster 620 (which was the reason I took the MSF class in the first place - one look and I fell in love).

Can anyone here tell me why I should buy the Monster 620 over the a cruiser such as a V-star or Shadow?
'cause you looked at one and fell in love with it. That's the single best reason to buy a particular bike.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in a motorcycle to be honest with you.
Nope, of course you dont. Lots of people don't find out "what they're looking for in a motorcycle" for many years and many bikes... Many people's idea of what they want changes more or less regularly.

My advice? Buy the bike you love right now. If you don't, you're likely to end up regretting it - you'll resent the bike you're on 'cause it's not the one you love. Buy the 620 - it's a great bike to learn on. It'll do everything your Pop's Sportster does, a lot of thing quite a lot better. You first bike is a learning exercise, not a commitment to a particular style of motorcycle (though it will greatly influence your future directions, very few people learn to ride on a sportsbike then decide they really want to ride cruisers for the rest of their lives and vice versa...)

big

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
the 620 is my 2nd bike, and I honestly feel it's forgiving enough as a learner.

that said,dropping your spankin' new 620 at a stoplight/parking lot/whatever isn't very fun. if you can find a reasonably priced used one, I'd say go for it [thumbsup]

why do I love it?
it's quick enough to get me in trouble and induce the kool-aid grin
it handles great (to me, anyway)
it's a freakin' DUCATI! the look, the sound, the whole package of it >:D

not to say cruisers suck... I want one, too ;D but they're an entirely different animal

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I got the same advice from everyone before I bought my 620. "Buy something cheap and used, see how you like it, what kind of riding you want to do, then buy a bike suited to the kind of riding you want to do," which I will say, is good advice. But what the replies above have said, and what you'll find when you look around on the other "should I buy a 620" threads, is that the reason I'd say 90% of the people on here own Monsters, or any other Ducati, is cause when we look at them, or hear one with the open airbox and a nice set of pipes, or see pictures of them, it makes something inside of us get all hot and bothered. To me, that's why I bought the 620, there was entirely too much practicality in the "Figure out what kind of riding" methodology. I wanted a motorcycle for reasons other than to be practical, I wanted it for the fun, for the heads turning when you go by on something other than a Kawayamasuzuhonda plastic clad crotch rocket. I cruise around the residential streets near me on mine on lazy sunday afternoons. I take it out to Barber Motorsport Park (practically in my back yard ;D ) I ride it around the twisties in the hills near Birmingham. I rode it 600 miles round trip to and from Memphis TN this weekend. I've done all that and I've loved every minute of it. Sure, the road trip would have been more "comfortable" on a Goldwing or an R1200GS or a Multistrada, but I don't really have a weakness for any of those bikes. Something about the monster just makes me grin every time I think about it.

Not sure how helpful that is, but good luck with your decision. Bottom line, if you're on 2 wheels, it'll be fun of some sort :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well if a Ducati got you to take the MSF in the first place then - you have answered your own question.

I looked at HD's and the rest and came back to the initial soul - Ducati.
It made my purchase an informed decision but nothing beats a first hunch.

A Monster is a great all around bike and allot of fun. It feels like home.

So when will we see pics of your 620?

Ride Safe and check my site @ my695.com

8) [thumbsup]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Someone local popped up on my thread in the "Bikes Wanted" forum, so I'm gonna try to get in touch with him/her. An '02 Monster 620 Dark w/ 11,500 Miles. Sounds promising :)

As for pics, as soon as I get one in my hands, you'll all be the first to know...

Take care!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
robman8023 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. Someone local popped up on my thread in the "Bikes Wanted" forum, so I'm gonna try to get in touch with him/her. An '02 Monster 620 Dark w/ 11,500 Miles. Sounds promising :)

As for pics, as soon as I get one in my hands, you'll all be the first to know...

Take care!
That sounds like a very appropriate bike for you. A Monster with a few miles on it will probably be much more affordable, yet will still provide you with plenty of entertainment.

One footnote-- if the bike has 11,500 miles on it, it will soon be due for a 12,000 mile service. This may run into the $400+ range, so be sure to factor that into your purchase negotiations. It is possible that the current owner has done this service already, and if that's the case be sure to ask for a copy of the service receipt.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics of your new Monster!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
+1000 to all the big time posters out there on their love for the ducati. I too am in love with my duc or rather the brand ducati. After a 20yr break I decided to get back into bikes this May I took my msf course loved it went out and put cold hard cash on a s2r know ing that this baby was going to be traded in next season (note: 60 days later) I decided to forgo the lost in cash value for my s2r and upgrade it to a s2r 1000, which is my heart and soul. I could not imagine riding anything else so much so that I got up a 6:00 am this morning started it up and road to work at a chilling 33 degrees. What can I say I love to ride and I love riding my ducati. Ducati brand is in the blood you do not buy a ducati because its practical you buy because its a passion its in your blood its apart of you. It pumps through your veins like the essence of life. That is why we ride and buy duc. Grasshopper you are about to make a perilous choice a choice where there is no bottom and the only words that explain what and how you feel is ducati. Like the matrix you are about to wake up to your reality. God Speed Grasshoper. Now go buy that ducati.

-ghost

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The purchase of a motorcycle is rarely a practical decision but an emotional one. That said, I agree with the others who say get the bike you love, the one that stirs your soul. I purchased mine as a post separation - pre divorce present and it has turned out to be my wisest purchase. I heard someone say that your bike should pass the 3 second rule, being that you can't walk away from it without looking back within 3 seconds. I find myself walking away from my bike backwards just to get that last look. You know what you want. Go for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I personally think cruisers are harder to ride safely than standards (which is what the monster is). Its everything from superior brakes & chassis to a better sit up and scan the traffic position. IMHO having your feet stuck way out in front is both uncomfortable, but you are not in a "ready / fighting" position to take on the world (of course the foot forward thing does look / feel cool). If you have any back issues whatsoever, remember, on a cruiser you are sitting on your tail bone.

On a cruiser, especially, if the front end is at all raked & the front tire skinny, the braking bias is on the rear wheel, the front end flexes with imprecise steering, the tires are often tubed & not very grippy, the bikes are longer & harder to master tight slow speed turns, I really cannot think of any area in safety / handeling that a cruiser is better. Ride a standard, hammer the front brakes to the point of tire howl, and realize there is a better way.

IMO, a cruiser is a better bike once your a much more advanced rider, then you will know the bikes limitations, and be 1000 percent less likely to send it into a ditch because you don't know how to turn or stop.

I wonder how many people buy a cruiser first, and then quit riding forever because they are such difficult bikes?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
socalrob said:
I really cannot think of any area in safety / handeling that a cruiser is better.
Well, apart from the fact that they don't tempt you up into the mountains then whisper in your ear "go on, leave your braking a little later, you can get your knee down on that corner"...

big

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
robman8023 said:
Can anyone here tell me why I should buy the Monster 620 over the a cruiser such as a V-star or Shadow?
I've got one of each parked in my moto shed. The V-star is the wifes. I've ridden it a couple of times.

Buy the Ducati.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
bigiain said:
Well, apart from the fact that they don't tempt you up into the mountains then whisper in your ear "go on, leave your braking a little later, you can get your knee down on that corner"...

big
that's a good point. cruisers won't tend to lead you into trouble... and they're actually pretty damn comfy to sit on. the monster's seat/bar/footpeg position is hardly a 'standard' bike stance. I'd look to something like a honda nighthawk for that... fairly upright, feet kind of neutral, good bar height. the monster leans more toward a sporty stance, but nowhere near stretched over the tank like a 'proper' sport bike.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
teddy037 said:
bigiain said:
that's a good point. cruisers won't tend to lead you into trouble...
Well, they might, but it's more likely to be bar-fight kind of trouble than helicoptered-out-of-a-canyon type of trouble...

big

1 - 20 of 21 Posts