Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my bike on tuesday :eek: ;D

I love it! don't have my license yet but couldn't resist one quick ride down the street

this bike has some get up....touchy on the throttle and clutch not like a dirt bike , very subtle and precise .......I love it!!!

I was just thinkin' though up until now Ive never really needed a solid set of tools so I was thinkin of gettin' just some essentials like wrenches and screwdrivers and that kinda stuff

My question to everyone is what sizes metrcs?? and what good tools will come in handy

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Niffler:

Are you the famous "Oceanside Mike?"

Good luclk with the tools. your question is a good one. "What basic tools does a Ducophile need to keep his bike most excellent?" I will be looking for that answer myself!

Regards,
Rideon

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Off the top of my head, and assuming you have no tools now...

28mm and 30mm sockets for the axle nuts.

Standard set of metric allen wrenches, usually they go up to 10mm, but bolts with a 10mm hex are usually way tighter than you can deal with using a regular L-style allen wrench.

10mm allen socket for the oil drainplug, 14mm allen socket for the oil strainer and strainer cover, and I think a 17mm allen socket for the rear axle.

A standard set of metric sockets, a couple of different length extensions, a 3/8" ratchet and breaker bar, and a 1/2" breaker bar for the big allen sockets and wheel sockets. Maybe a 1/2" extension or two.

A standard set of metric box wrenches and combination wrenches. A set of regular flat blade and phillips head screwdrivers.

If you've still got some coin left, a 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrench too.

I've been very happy with Craftsman tools, they're easy to find, reliable, and guaranteed. Tool snobs may claim Proto stuff is better, but I've never really liked the way they do their tools. Snap-On stuff is first rate, but quite expensive.
There's other brands out there that are decent too, but I've got no FHE on 'em.

Cheap tools will let you down at the worst time, and will usually f*ck up the part you're working on. Be prepared to spend some money, take care of 'em, and they'll last you a lifetime. It's virtually impossible to have too many tools....

If I think of anything else, I'll try to post again.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Front and rear stands. Dont skimp get good quality ones.

Allens in the "T" handle variety work well too, but you still need the ones the will fit your 3/8 ratchet.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
You can never have enough tools!

What bike did you get?

Regards,
AC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First on your list should probably a rear stand so you can take care of your chain, then everything on Nick's list. ;D I bought a Craftsman 1/2" beam style torque wrench for my wheels for 26 bucks brand new. Coin very well spent.

Don't forget the other stuff: chain lube, brake cleaner, spare quart of dino juice, rags, grease for the axles...the list goes on and on.

Congrats on the new baby and have fun.

PS A TIRE GAGE

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Doh!
I see it now. I missed your signature.

"'03 Mostro 620 Dark....just bought !!!!!!!!!!"

Congratulations!
AC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts