Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone! I'm new to this board and to the world of Ducs so I thought I would introduce myself before some questions. I'm 18 and looking to get into the streetbikes, I've riden dirtbikes my whole-life and have decided to try out the street. I've set my sights on a slightly used 05-06 S2R (800cc of course) and had a few questions first.
I am concerned about the up-keep on these bikes, and am wondering how often the valves need adj. and how much I should expect to pay. Also any other very major servicing. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I would like to do most my self but have heard that with Ducatis it is very important to do everything perfectly, in regards to servicing, or else you will have some bad problems.
Also, if there are anyother young riders here I am curious what you are paying for insurance. I am taking the motorcycle safety course and have a perfect driving record since I got my lisence 2.5 years ago. While on the topic what are the best ins. companies to go through? i.e. inexpensive.

And hey anyone here selling a S2R in So. CA let me know, I am also looking in the classifieds.

Thanks for any replies, I know I will be here asking lots of questions!

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
can't really help you much except to say hi, and welcome, this place has a wealth of smart cookies who can help with just about anything. maintenance on the 2 valve range isn't as daunting as you may have heard, a good manual and a set of shims and as long as you're methodical and reasonably savvy with the tools you should have no problems. 4 valvers are a bit tougher on the DIY guy, like me. ::)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Welcome.
You will find answers to most of your maintenance questions here
I don't have much to offer on insurance as I live on the other coast, but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Good luck finding an S2R.

·
Registered
544 Posts
welcome

I rode my s2r about 6,500 miles this year (i bought it in February). I have paid approximately $680 dollars for the 600 mile and the 6000 mile services (my dealer charges $60/labor hr.). I live in central Texas (low pop density) and I pay around $300 a year for bare minimum insurance through Progressive (that means no collision, and no uninsured motorist). Other costs I have incurred are a new rear tire (puncture, replaced with OEM Diablo) $230 and a left rear blinker $25.

I'm not sure whether or not you want to attempt to do the services yourself if you have a warranty on the bike. According to the warranty, failure to have mandatory services performed at certified dealers voids the entire contract. Whether or not Ducati can actually void the entire warranty is an issue of state law, i believe. Some CA people should be able to give more assistance.

You'll love the s2r, it's a pretty sweet ride, especially if you buy a dark 8)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
mylexicon said:
According to the warranty, failure to have mandatory services performed at certified dealers voids the entire contract.
False.

The Magnuson Moss  Act is a *Federal* statute thereby applying to all states, not just Cali. This act also applies to what a dealer can legally enforce in their warranties as well as what happens when you modify your bike and what is voided and (more importantly for most people here) what isn't.

You can safely perform your own service as long as you have some idea of what you're doing (good idea to be friends with your local Ducati mechanic anyway) and you keep all your receipts. In fact, some shops might just do the bits you don't want to (valves for example) and not charge you for the rest.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Where in SoCal are you? I go to GP in downtown San Diego. They are great when it comes to sales and service. The bikes are not hard to work on if you are mechanically inclined, but with GP near by, I let them do most of the work. They definitely make the total cost of ownership very affordable.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the info EvilSteve, I have studied the Magnusson Moss Act in business law on several occasions. I'm quite certain it doesn't apply in this instance. The Magnusson Moss Act is for federal warranties known as full warranties. Ducati offers a limited warranty which, by definition, does not meet the minimum federal warranty requirements.

General warranty rules are covered under the Uniform Commercial Code (article 2). The Uniform Commercial Code is adopted by the states and is usually modified to fit the sentiments of the states residents.

Even if the Magnusson Moss Act does apply in this situation, again I'm pretty certain it doesn't, it is a piece of secondary legislation. The act is subjugated to state law that enumerates buyer's warranty rights as long as the state's warranty laws are at least as restrictive as those found in the MMA.

Maybe, a lawyer can provide more info.
[/threadjack]

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Trey, Welcome to the Board. Be patient and you will find exactly what your looking for.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ftc.gov said:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss

ftc.gov said:
What the Terms "Full" and "Limited" Mean Determining whether your warranty is a "full" or a "limited" warranty is not difficult. If each of the following five statements is true about your warranty's terms and conditions, it is a "full" warranty:

1. You do not limit the duration of implied warranties.
2. You provide warranty service to anyone who owns the product during the warranty period; that is, you do not limit coverage to first purchasers.
3. You provide warranty service free of charge, including such costs as returning the product or removing and reinstalling the product when necessary.
4. You provide, at the consumer's choice, either a replacement or a full refund if, after a reasonable number of tries, you are unable to repair the product.
5. You do not require consumers to perform any duty as a precondition for receiving service, except notifying you that service is needed, unless you can demonstrate that the duty is reasonable.

If any of these statements is not true, then your warranty is "limited".
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#titling

I don't know the law here but it seems to me that the MMWA states pretty clearly that forcing you to use anyone for service or particular parts is not permitted. Whether or not that applies in this case is beyond me but seems pretty straight forward. The second quote would seem to suggest that whether or not the warranty forces a buyer to use particular parts or service does not relate to whether the warranty is "Full" or "Limited".

In any case, your best bet is to actually have a good relationship with your dealer, most of us can manage that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone [thumbsup] Also good info and topics on the servicing issues. It seems to me that the servicing cost are much lower then I had possibly thought so thats cool.
Oh and Silentbob Im located in about hour and a half from you in San Bernardino county.

And I would prefer to buy a dark but I am not too picky because I do my own powder coating so odds are that the colors will be changing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts