Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

561 - 570 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do have questions about the 1000cc swap...

Why did you change over to the S2r gauges?

Is it possible to just reprogram the 620/695 ECU to the s2r1000 ECU? I read somewhere the speedo will be off. Can someone confirm? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
I got the whole gauge set, ECU and lockset with the red key. I like the look of the newer gauges and wanted the red key/card. also the 1000DS motor uses a stepper motor instead of a "choke cable" to raise the idle on cold start. It was just easier to grab it all in one shot. The speedo will be off because the 620 rotor has 6 bolts and the S2R's uses 4. Google "speedo healer", can't remember what it costs but it's reasonable. Simply converts the signals from the hall sensor to the right frequency.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the whole gauge set, ECU and lockset with the red key. I like the look of the newer gauges and wanted the red key/card. also the 1000DS motor uses a stepper motor instead of a "choke cable" to raise the idle on cold start. It was just easier to grab it all in one shot. The speedo will be off because the 620 rotor has 6 bolts and the S2R's uses 4. Google "speedo healer", can't remember what it costs but it's reasonable. Simply converts the signals from the hall sensor to the right frequency.
B, thanks a lot for that info. I didn't even know something like a SpeedoHealer existed. I was beginning to wonder if I could use an ECU out of an SS1000DS but this seems like the perfect solution. I read up on this last night and found some guys who swapped over to the single sided swingarm using this with no problem.

Regarding the stepper motor, will the S2R1K ECU detect this being unplugged if I'm using the standard choke cable/fast idle off my 695? Other than that, the throttle bodies are the same diameter and injectors are the same.

Is there anything else to it...fuel pressure regulator, etc that needs to be swapped over?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
As for the SSA swap, the expense and weight gain was not worth the cool factor. You'd be better served doing what I did and find an aluminum arm off a early Monster or ST, it's a direct bolt on and you can still use the 4.5" wheel if you so desire.

I'm sure the ECU would bitch about the stepper motor being unplugged, you might be able to bypass that with a resistor with a matching OHM rating with the motor but I don't know. Other than that, the TB's and injectors are the same IIRC.

Most of the photos have been corrupted here's the photobucket link:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/bshinn66/Monster Restoration/story

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome, thank you for the pics.

I looked into the stepper motor being disconnected or in my case not connected since I am reusing the throttle bodies from my 695. With the S2R1K DP ECU, there is an option to turn it off using guzzidiag/jpdiag. Standard ECU will throw a code apparently.

561 - 570 of 570 Posts