Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new S4R. I've been riding since 1996 and I've owned quite a few bikes, and I have to say that nothing has put a smile on my face like my Monster.

I currently own a 2002 R1 (which might get sold or turned into a track only bike) and an old dirtbike for trail riding.

Could any of you vets answer what I'm sure is a common question.... I'd like to remove my rear fender. I've seen some where the subframe has been chopped and plugged. I believe I would like to go this route. Could someone please provide step-by-step instructions for this procedure. Additionally I'd like to know where to buy the plugs for the frame. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There is a tail chopping FAQ on this site, just check out the FAQ link on the homepage. Also try searching the archives here, you might get some more ideas and there are lots of pictures of chops.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Welcome to the board.

You can find a good selection of plugs to use on the frame at most hardware stores and at some bicycle shops as well. After you cut the frame, just take the piece that you cut off with you for proper fitting.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Welcome to the board. Is this your first twin? It is for me. Just sold a CB1000, a great bike but I was hot to try a twin. What's your observations moving from an R1?

D

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the new S4R. After you get the bike broken in, you should post a comparison between it and the R1.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Welcome to the board! Glad to have another Hooligan among us.

There's lots of tail chop links and faq around here. To find plugs, just measure the hole (can't remember what size it is off the top of my head) and head down to your local bicycle shop. When I stopped in and asked about a pair, they gave them to me for free! ;D

-dj

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Welcome to the board. You've fallen in with a great bunch of folks, a great source of info, and you're on a great bike that will continue to teach you about passion for a long time.

Ride often, ride hard, ride safe, wear gear, and have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone.

Comparison? There really is no comparing the two bikes. The R1 is truly a purpose built machine and is only (in my opinion) on a race track. I know I may get flamed for this, but I found it hard to ride the R1 at sane speeds on the street. That is why I was spending more and more time at the track. If you are a track junky the R1 cannot be beat, imho.

The S4R is a completely different breed. It's my first twin, so off the bat, I had to adjust my riding style. I no longer need to enter a turn at 9000 rpm. I can be a gear, even two higher, and have enough torque to power out of the apex. Awesome. This lends itself to a much more relaxing ride. Speaking of which, did I mention that I'm 1000 times more comfortable on my Monster??? I'm 6'2, 210, so the R1 was a cramped environment for me. Back to the Monster... this thing hauls ass, and I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best canyon carving machines on the road. I can't wait to take it Streets of Willow or the new Horse Thief Mile. I've ridden both tracks with my R1 and I know the Monster will devour them (excuse the pun).

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts