Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and girls. iv been checking the forum out and website for the past week and finally joined. i don't own a monster yet but will sooner or later... I'm in school for another few months for BMW factory training and if all goes well and i get a job up in mass back home I'm gonna get a monster s2r 800. I'm going to get my permit first start buying gear and take the msf course near my town. Ive already gone in person to check them out and I'm absolutely in love with it. Sitting on it in the showroom was the deciding factor. I'm 6 foot 170 pounds and i think it will fit me perfectly. the monster will be my first bike ever and I'm super excited. its been a little more than three years i have been going through school and not being able to spend money on anything fun for myself and i was never one of those kids that grew up around bikes and had a parent that rode and bought them their first bike and what not so I'm treating myself if you will when i get done with school. In a very generous way i do say so myself.

p.s. if anyone has heard of dunbar euro motorsports in brockton could you give me your opinion of them and their service. Thanks alot!

Eric

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Welcome. You'll love the Monster.

I met the owner at a track day last year. Nice guy. A friend with a 748 had his motor done there and was happy.

·
Banned
402 Posts
I don't want to be a buzzkill but I'd recommend spending a summer or two on a cheap rice burner and then trading up to the Monster once you're a little more comfortable. It's not that the Monster is "too much bike" or anything, just that the odds of dropping the bike are pretty high when you're starting out and it's nice to not have to worry about tank dents and scuffed exhausts, just pick it up and hop back on. Plus you can't truly appreciate the Monster's handling until you've spent some time on a tired UJM ;)

I had my 600 mile service at Dunbar and they seemed like nice folks. They were also cool about answering a lot of dumb questions over the phone when I first got the Monster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
my advice is get the bike you want, because eventually you will get it anyway and this way you only have to buy one bike.

i would tell you not to get it if you were talking about a S4RS, but sounds like you have your head on straight and looking at the right bike.

Dunbar is great. Tom is the owner and a friend of mine. But being a shop owner myself i would tell you to check us out as well!

the fact is you have a lot of dealers around in the Mass, NH area and a lot of choices.

good luck and come visit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys... i was thinking about getting a used bike to practice on and i will if its something for like 500 bucks but ill tell you im not gonna look very hard for long. imin love with this bike so eff it im just gonna get it. Plus everyone says that oh oh, get a used pos so that you can practice and if you drop its no big deal. but what if you get a used bike and drop it once or twice and then get the bike you dreamed of and end up dropping that once anyway. Then that would be such a waste of time of buying used bike and to tell you the truth i would feel even worse that way... I think ill get the bike some frame sliders and be very very careful.

And hailwood. where abouts is your shop? is it in new hampshire? because i no a guy in my town(the only other ducati owner i know) that has his playstation edition 999 serviced up there. his name is john.

But anyway thanks alot guys for the input keep it coming.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Got my bike at Dunbar. Tom and the staff are really good.

And if you're on the SouthShore, they are convenient.

I did get the Monster as my first bike after the MSF. (Well, first bike in 20 years). Yes, I dropped it. Yes, its got scratches. But I don't regret it at all. But that's just my experience.

BTW, hailwood is up at BCM in NH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly no regrets. everyone is gonna drop their bike at some point in life. im just gonna be extra careful and hey ya never know it might never happen at all...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Got my bike at Dunbar (used) but it's so friggin far that I've never gone back. Instead, I ride even further to Hailwood's shop, BCM in Laconia NH ;D

But riding to Laconia is much more pleasant than riding through Boston down to Brockton and, well, BCM is BCM.

Having said that, no complaints about Dunbar. Nice clean shop. Well equipped and stocked. And Tom has a history of prepping race bikes which is the king of background I like to see in a shop. A shop doing nothing but stock OEM R&Rs isn't going to have a lot to offer me in terms of experience. I can do a lot of that kind of work myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ezmoney16 said:
I'm in school for another few months for BMW factory training and if all goes well and i get a job up in mass back home
where do you live in mass? gengras is a BMW AND a Ducati dealer, if youre close to hartford you should put an application in. we will need another tech when summer comes around. you can relieve me of all my bmw jobs ;D

ps LT's suck!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
EZ!

Ask 10 of us for an opinion and you'll end up with 14 replies! Here's mine!

You are on the right track. Get the right gear. Take the MSF Course. Then buy whatever bike you want. The really nice thing about the Monster 800 is that this is a bike you can ride as a new-be and never tire of it. In other words, its a keeper. As far as dropping it goes. You will. So what. We all do. And although the probability may be greater the newer you are I continue to crash or drop my bike with astonishing regularity. (SSSSHHHH...all you wise acres...no need to comment!)

Seacoast Sport Cycle (http://www.seacoastsport.com/) in Derry NH is a great shop too. Charles, Jim and Pat are great folks and they are Ducati, Guzzi and Aprilia dealers so are pretty familiar with all things Italian! Jim and Charles both race too so they are knowledgeable about performance and reliability!

BCM and DUNBAR are good too....just wanted you to know about another option!

Once you get going be sure to check the SeaCoast web site for their summer ride listing. We have a great time!

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey omega red! that would def be cool however when i mean im going to school for bmw i mean the car company not the motorcycles. thanks for the offer and that would be pretty cool. plus that might be too far away. im located in middleboro mass. i was going to go check out the bikes this week at dunbar on my christmas break but they are closed all week and i wont be able to check them out. I have a few more questions though, can someone give me a few places to look for gear so i can get a rough idea of how much im going to spend on it and also what do some of you guys pay for financing like monthly payments, how much did you put down and what is your insurance like on these bikes. Thanks alot guys for all of your insight.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Hey ez welcome, & a quick HI from a DUC rider in Middleboro. When you do get your bike give me a shout & we can hook up to do some riding. Not that you probably don't already know, but on the stretch of 28 in W.Bridgewater/Brockton you have Dunbars/ Brockton Cycle/ Bettencourts that together have a pretty decent selection. Also we are only @ 1/2 hour away from VANSON Leathers factory/showroom in Fall River ( a little more $$ but the highest quality riding gear you can get.)
and altough I have yet to make it there Moto Market in Acton has a great rep. and from what I hear a great selection. O.k. so much for a quick HI. but again welcome & hope to see you on 2 wheels in the borough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
excellent man... im gonna have to go take a look at the vanson leather factory. and i had no idea that there was any monster riders in middleboro. i only know of one other person with a ducatti in middleboro but now i know two. i cant wait to get my bike! see ya

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another hello fro m CT. I new here as well and have found the people friendly and informative.

By the way, get the monster.

CAG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts