Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sort of. I've loved Monsters since I was a little kid, and I've always loved Ducatis in general. I plan on buying one soon (in a year or so), but keep hearing horror stories about mr. Desmo....

I've talked to a few locals with 900 Monsters and they all say the same thing. Adjust at the first 6000 miles, then worry about the belts and maybe have them checked every 12 after that, or if they get noisy. Any truth to this?

Thats fine maintinence to me. I really don't want to buy a Jap bike.....they're so....common. Well, I can think of one I'd take...TRX 850, but I've never seen one over here.

My other question is fitment, I'm 6'3" and have to turn around twice to cast a shadow....will the 600/620 fit? Is the 750 the same size? (and maint.)?

So thats it, fill me in on the Joy and sorrows of Monster 600/620 ownership.

Thanky!

·
Registered
541 Posts
your supposed to take it in for matinance every 6,000k miles. Change the belts every two years. ^20's are a ton of fun though I use mine for commuting/having fun on even in winter. I'm 6' 150lbs and put clip-ons on my bike and made it more comfortable for my frame. I've had nothign wrong with my bike until I got it by an excursion and screwed up my Tach...but aside from that I've beat the hell out of it and it's bulletproof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear. I REALLY want one. Will an SV650 beat it up in a straight line? possibly, but the Ducati is sooo much cooler. I guess some people understand why they are cool and others ask "why?"

what do the 600/620/750s usually dyno at? My old bike would make 65hp at the tire, but it was an old air cooled Jap 4 so it was all up top.

G

·
Hoop said:
Good to hear. I REALLY want one. Will an SV650 beat it up in a straight line? possibly, but the Ducati is sooo much cooler. I guess some people understand why they are cool and others ask "why?"

what do the 600/620/750s usually dyno at? My old bike would make 65hp at the tire, but it was an old air cooled Jap 4 so it was all up top.

Most people (and Ducati) will tell you that a m750 will dyno in the mid 60s. I call bullshit on that. Mine with a jet kit and fresh tuning did 53hp at the wheel. That ain't much but the power comes on quick and just keeps pulling. Nice for twisties. Crappy for straight lines. Then again, I'm 5'6" and the bike fits me like a glove.

At 6'3" I would reccomend a 900 for ya'. But there are taller riders doing the 620s. Just be willing to invest in seat, bars and other ergo mods to make it fit you.

:angel: duc

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
If you don't weigh too much, then the 620 will fit you. Like St.Duc just said..you have to make it work for you.

I've had my 620 for 3 years..bought brand new. Tons of fun in Phoenix but not much here in FL!! Flat and straight riding is NOT what the bike was meant for! ::)

Everyone has had a different story with the maint. I've had enough problems with mine but that's what to be expected from the HIGH mileage I have and the way I ride!

I would take a bigger/faster bike in a sec. but that's not what this bike is meant for in my mind.

Good luck with the purchase!

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, being a Kansas boy, the bike MAY see some flat straights....lol

That being said, most of my riding would be around town and a few longer road trips to the tune of...say 150+ miles at 65 or 70mph.

I've thought of looking at 900s but they're out of my price range. 750s seem to be cheaper than the 6__ bikes, any reason?

I've also thought about VTRs, but I have no right owning a high 10 second bike, also thought about a Yamaha TRX 850, but find one in the states....

If I had money I'd look at Ninja 650s too.

G

·
Hoop said:
Well, being a Kansas boy, the bike MAY see some flat straights....lol

That being said, most of my riding would be around town and a few longer road trips to the tune of...say 150+ miles at 65 or 70mph.

I've thought of looking at 900s but they're out of my price range. 750s seem to be cheaper than the 6__ bikes, any reason?

I've also thought about VTRs, but I have no right owning a high 10 second bike, also thought about a Yamaha TRX 850, but find one in the states....

If I had money I'd look at Ninja 650s too.

I'd bet most of the 750s you are looking at are carbed ('02 is the only year for an FI 750) while most of the 620s you are looking at are FI). No? That may account for the price difference.

200 mile days are easily done on a smaller monster. But these bikes really do shine in the twisties. Its what they are built for. There is a reason the highest concentration of DML members are in San Francisco. HILLS! These bikes are just wonderfully light and nimble. And very forgiving both in the power curve and in suspension (nice bike for some one like me who couldn't ride his way out of a paper bag). The brakes are generous too.

I would think that in Kansas you will rarely take advantage of the best this bike has to offer. But if you want that "not so common" factor that so many monster owners (myself included) want. Then by all means. But that will probably be a decision made with your heart not your head. This is not the bike you want to take very often for long trips (even though most of us have, do and will again). And the Kansas wing will beat you up on those freeway stints (although that can be minimized with modification). Monsters are great in that they acn be made into whatever type of bike you need. All you gotta do is put the money into it.

I ain't trying to talk you out of it, but if I were you I would think about what kind of riding you are doing and what kind of bike fits that perfectly. The ask yourself what you are willing to give up for the "cool factor" of the monster.

Good luck in finding the perfect bike for you.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The 620 is def. meant for the twisties like SD said! A few other DML'ers were amazed at how light the 620 is compared to the larger cc's.

I dread long trips on my bike though! I want to take it to Miami (80 miles) and to THe Keys (2-4 hours) but that sonunds like torture to me on straightaways!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It depends on what part of Kansas you are in. I am in Manhattan, Kansas in the middle of the Flint Hills area. The twisties here are great compared to the KC area and Chicagoland (where I'm from) so I'm in heaven. There is plenty of great riding and my M900 loves it here.

If you are in Western Kansas, you're screwed. [laugh]

-Danimal

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Oops..forgot to mention..I have a stock seat and no fairing up front. Longer trips aren't that bad if you have a gel seat, fairing and bigger cc's. I rode all over Italy on a 1000ds and had no problems riding.

Of the 50,000 miles I have on my 620..95% or more of it was done riding in the city. ;)

I don't know if you have any twisties wher you live but those quick get-aways are needed at least 3-4 times/wk!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Lenexa, just south of KC. trust me, theres hills and twisty roads here, you just have to look for them. As for most of my riding? Mostly city and the surrounding areas. This is still Kansas, you get too far out, you're on gravel and dirt (I wouldn't have it any other way, keeps the city folk away).

Heres the list of bikes I've "narrowed" my search to.

Ducati Monster 600/620
Monster 750
Buell XB9 Firebolt
Buell M2 Cyclone.

all are twins, all are mid 12 second bikes at best, all closely matched in price, all unique and different.

Its funny you say Manhattan, as that would be where my longer trips would end up. My best friend is a vet major up there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
SaintDuc said:
Most people (and Ducati) will tell you that a m750 will dyno in the mid 60s. I call bullshit on that. Mine with a jet kit and fresh tuning did 53hp at the wheel. That ain't much but the power comes on quick and just keeps pulling. Nice for twisties. Crappy for straight lines. Then again, I'm 5'6" and the bike fits me like a glove.

My 620 with chopped box/cored cans made 56

·
Registered
541 Posts
IZ said:
The 620 is def. meant for the twisties like SD said! A few other DML'ers were amazed at how light the 620 is compared to the larger cc's.

I dread long trips on my bike though! I want to take it to Miami (80 miles) and to THe Keys (2-4 hours) but that sonunds like torture to me on straightaways!!
I've done here to pittsburg a few times (5 hours) with little issues.

G

·
Paper5tr3et7 said:
My 620 with chopped box/cored cans made 56

From what I've heard the injected 620 makes about the same or a bit more power than the carbed 750.

I have pod filters and custom flightcycles pipes. Without engine work I think I'm doing about as good as I can power-wise. But since I suck I don't really need anymore power. I do like how the FI 620 power is pretty much instantaneous. I have a slight lag but when it comes on it just keeps coming. Viva la twins.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hoop, you can use Google Maps to find some good roads as well. I've been lucky enough to have a bunch of friends who have been riding in this area for many, many years and I've learned all of the good roads. There are a few nice routes between KC and Manhattan that will keep you off of the interstate.

I vote for any one of those bikes...but at your height and riding experience, I'd go with a 900 no question. I'm coming off of a GS500 and my 900 is not too much to handle at all with 70-75hp.

-Danimal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sadly, price would just about run a good 900 out of my price range.

Same with the Buells, I'd LOVE an XB9R, those bikes are too damned cool, but they tend to fall just out of my reach. The smaller Monsters and the Cyclones fall into my spending abilities.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Hoop said:
sadly, price would just about run a good 900 out of my price range.

Same with the Buells, I'd LOVE an XB9R, those bikes are too damned cool, but they tend to fall just out of my reach. The smaller Monsters and the Cyclones fall into my spending abilities.
YUou should be able to get a 620 with <1000 miles on it for a decent price..esp. since it's winter now!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an '01 750 a few months ago. Since I'm also 6'3", I had to make some mods to get a good position. I changed the seat out for a Sargent and gained at least an inch in height. It also makes it easier to move back on the seat -the only drawback is the sharp edge at the back of the seat. Next it was a set of CycleCat clip-ons to get more reach, a set of CRG mirrors so I could see behind me and finally a set of CycleCat rearsets for more legroom. The position is much improved. I don't know if it's the best bike for tall riders, but it sure is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pricewise, I'd be looking to spend at the most $3500 to MAYBE $4000.

The lower the better obviously. Hence ruling out good 900s and 800s and XB9R buells, leaving little Monsters and Cyclones.

People keep saying TL1000 or VTR. I don't want a freaking 110hp torque monster.....lol

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I bought my first motorcycle, a 620, 2 months ago, and have since put 2000 miles on it. I've done a track day, and I've ridden it all over the twisties around where I live. I've taken it on a 5 hour road trip on the interstate. It's totally stock, except for taking off reflectors and making a custom Lic Plate bracket, so nothing that changes performance or fit is modded. I'll give you my first 2000 miles of observations.

Totally stock, the bike rocks in the twisties, it's lightweight, it handles well, it pulls well, it's plenty fast for what I want currently. I'm constantly amazed at how much it is like riding a 16 lb road bike, even though it weighs 400lbs. It feels every bit as nimble when you lean it into a turn.

For the 5 hour road trip, everything was great except my butt. It was a bit sore, which, from what I've read is what everyone on this board has ever said about the stock saddle on any Monster. Replace it early, and save your bum the agony. For normal rides, I don't find it uncomfortable. (less than 2 hours)

Straightline speed. It'll pull hard up to about 100, then it just pulls ok, then it stops at 115. Apparently this is characteristic Monster / V-Twin, they all pull hard up until just before top speed, then lessen out, then hit a brick wall. For me, pulling hard to 115 is all I care about, I don't want it to go any faster. I'll get something else for a track / super street bike once I have more $$$ (Late 90's Tamburini bike, 916 hopefully... drool)

I've already ordered a 14t sprocket for it to liven it up a bit, and may do a Nichols lightweight flywheel, they're about 400% lighter than stock, so it should help out a good bit in first gear, and a little through second, we'll see.

Given all of that, I don't think it needs any more top end for what I want it for, just a bit more torque to the rear tire in low gears from the 14t sprocket, and I think it'll be just right. That and the 14t will make cruising at 35mph more comfortable in 3rd.

I'm 6'0", 180 lbs. I find that the bike fits well, although I haven't ridden one with a taller saddle and clip-on's. I'd be interested to see how that feels before I judge how it fits stock. As I said, I've never been uncomfortable, but I'm not sure of the possibility of being more comfortable, I'll have to mod it and find out. [cheeky] Shucks.

All of that said, I love it. Buy one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts