Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it make more sense to purchase new rear tire via the or just purchase directly from the dealer? If the net is the way to go, does anyone have a good place to purchase from? Also, what should I expect the dealer to charge me to have that rear tire installed?

Thanks,
Jason

S

·
0 Posts
Ask first. I have had one place quote 135.00 several places would not even mount them. I finally found a place that would do them for 25 each off the bike.

R

·
0 Posts
A couple dealers nearby charge $25-30/wheel off the bike whether you buy their tires or not. I get my tires from Kneedraggers- I don't pay shipping because they are located near my office. With two bikes and soft tires, I'm thinking seriously of getting a tire changing machine.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Ask your dealer if there's a price break for buying the tires from him and having him mount them.

My dealer was up front when I asked and quoted $25 per wheel off the bike if I bought from him or $30 each if I brought in the tire with the wheel. Of course when I decided on Avon AV45/46 tires, he was also up front that he couldn't give as good a discount on those as some of the other lines h normally sold. :'( I've had friends get mail order tires that were out of round, so I opted to spend about $10 more and buy through my dealer to avoid similar hassles.

Speaking of the AV45/46 combo - I love them. Good feel, excellent grip, and after 1,000 miles including a recent excursion to the Tale of the Dragon and some other mountain roads, almost no visible wear other than the scuffing in. I've only had the rear spin up a couple of times while hitting paint lines or rough spots leaned over and on the gas. The tire just settles back in without getting all spooky.

Mark J

·
Registered
345 Posts
I buy tires from swmototires.com. Free shipping if you order more than two and excellent track record on deliveries. I alos have the Harborfreight tire changing stand with the motorcycle adapter; paid around $80 on sale. The local Honda shop balances them for $7 a wheel.

I am now at the point where I can replace tires for right at $210 a set. And with three bikes, I am changing at least a set a month. Plus I get the chance to change my friends tires too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts