Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a putz. either that or i'm cursed. either that or i'm just a [email protected] fool...

many of you know how long i've been off the road rebuilding/tweeking my s4 (hense the "never-ending-project-guy" tagline). well it was good to go aside from a loose wire disabling the turn signals (who needs 'em?!?!) so i decided to go for a nice shake-down run last night when i got home from work... figured i'd go REAL easy to scrub in the new tires and bed in the brake pads.

didn't make it more than a mile... road off from my driveway and snicked from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... approaching the first turn, i EASED the bike back down to 2nd at about 20mph. just as i started to turn in, the rear just washed right out from under me. let's take a guess at how happy i was!!!!!!!!

fortunately, the cyclecat frame slider did it's job again. right clip-on turned on the fork (no damage), brake lever got a scratch but didn't break. CRG glass broke (anybody know where i can get a replacement?), kellerman bar-end signal mashed (d'oh!) and right muffler broke (gotta get bro to do some welding again... ARGH!

so i'm sharing my "good" fortune with y'all as a reminder... if you've got new tires to scrub in, BE EXTRA CAREFUL. especially as the weather's turning cooler, riding with new tires on cool pavement? i may's well be riding on an iced over lake.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
:eek:I can't f***ing believe it! :eek:

Sorry to hear it. Glad it wasn't worse.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
:mad: Bitter news, Strati!! :eek: GRRR! Sorry to hear this. It is a blight on duc-dom. A scourge. Just downright sad :'(...

Argh!

scooby :-/

·
Banned
551 Posts
Damn strati - sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like the frame sliders took care of a bit. Good thing you wre just taking it out for a short spin and didn't do anymore damage.

have you posted pics of the (currently) finished project yet? I wanna see.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Is it "talk like a pirate day" or did Scooby just get back from seing Treasure Island?

·
Registered
735 Posts
That sucks! After such an extensive rebuild. Someone doesn't want you to lose your title as the never ending project guy!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Was that pirate talk? I just have to entertain myself somehow at work this morning.Strati, I hope you don't feel it was at your expense with your sad news; I REALLY feel for you. Sorry.

scooby

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think it's written in the stars that you and i just are not meant to have a decent monster S4... ::) ;D mine is always in the shop for warranty repair and your's is in the shop for strati repairs. :D

at least it was little stuff ( well except for the bruised ego )... you truly are the poster boy for cyclecat frame savers though. you should do your own cyclecat calander. ;D i just mounted up some new shoes the other night... took it out for a ride yesterday and babied it the whole time.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
tough break, bro. i had a few near misses in the past couple weeks... got lucky and saved it both times. you didn't mention how strati himself fared... were you wearing the right gear?

were those pilot sports, by the way?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Oh man that stinks! I think I will be going for some cyclecat sliders. This does give me an excuse to keep riding on my bald (baldeenee racing slicks...) rear tire though!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
goddammit Strati......!
glad you are okay.....****...man.....I can't tell you how many times I have somehow saved my ass on new tires mold release.....just almost did the same thing......on an exit was taking it so easy and still the back slide out for and some dumbass reason it checked..I really have to thank Fred at Manley for smokin my tires before I left or I prolly would have beat you to this post.......sorry Strati.
I was waitin' to see the new pics too........

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have heard horror stories about new tires. The local Yamaha shop was telling me about an R6 lastweek (experienced rider 10K miles and never been down). that layed down in the parking lot less than 300 ft. from the shop door after installing a new set of tires.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Strati -

FWIW, I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me earlier this year, about 20 feet after installing a new rear on my BMW. It was just two weeks after getting the bike back from a tear-down and restoration, including hand-airbrushed paint. I wanted to just lie there in the middle of the street and wait for a truck to come run me over.

M.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha! i think you're dead-on mark.

cheers gang!
well, just know that you, the wifie, and the pumpkin head always have a place to stay if you ever visit floriduh. but i'm not letting you ride my bike. ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts