Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, recently when I go to start the bike up (cold) the gas light flickers and it refuses to turn over. I will cycle the ignition once or twice and then she fires up. I may be speculating about the whole fuel light part, but that is the only thing visually or audibly that i am noticing different. Any input?

·
Registered
374 Posts
First thing you should notice is when you turn the key the gauges both should move and you will hear the fuel pump (problaly the wrong wording) I think ramp up.

As for the fuel light, how much gas does it have?

How long did you wait before trying to start the bike?
Did you use the fast idle switch?
Kickstand up?
Kill switch on?

I am pretty sure you performed the last 4 above, just throwing them out there just in case.

You know that if the bike does not start in like 15 seconds that the imoblizer will shut it down and it won't start right? That could be why you have to cycle the key a few times.

Problaly not very helpful, but thats all I can think of.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK everyone, now is your time to get a good laugh. I have not opened my owners manual in the 3 months I have had that bike. I had NO IDEA that was an idle lever- on the left side of the bars,right? I saw it but never paid much mind to it. That explains why my girl idles at 5-600 and not the normal 1200 that everyone else talks about. Color me stupid! :-[
I already know that the twisty thing on the right grip makes the bike go, so you dont have to hassle me about that. :-*

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I'm laughing with you... not at you. What exactly did you think that was?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt have any idea. I just thought that lilttle high beam lever was cool. you know the one that you can flick with your finger for passing. The idle lever for all I know could have been an ejector seat or launched rockets or something. Momma always said not to touch stuff until I ask first. :-[

T

·
0 Posts
You have a relay that is going........going........may be gone already. Pull the seat, pull the Siemans relay (Black) take it to you favorite NAPA and get a new one. I predict your problem will go away. Good Luck!

OK everyone, now is your time to get a good laugh. I have not opened my owners manual in the 3 months I have had that bike. I had NO IDEA that was an idle lever- on the left side of the bars,right? I saw it but never paid much mind to it. That explains why my girl idles at 5-600 and not the normal 1200 that everyone else talks about. Color me stupid!

N

·
0 Posts
Exactly what color is stupid?? ;) I just don't have the heart to bust you about the lever... ;D

S

·
0 Posts
:p ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
i couldn't let this pass by till i took a crack at it.

You do know that the right handgrip is the throttle? :p ::) ::) ::) i think thats in the manual too. ::) ::)

(oh gosh i am so cruel) ::) ::)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feel free to rip on me. I my ignorance is my pain. As the Japanese would say- I will tootle my horn at the excited dog to prevent entaglement in tire spokes.
There is alot more that I dont know, and I will probably let all of you in on that too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
At least your bike started and is running again. As for the 1200RPM idle, my bike does not idea at 1200RPMs warm. Mine is down around 500 and I don't have any issues with it. Isn't the 1200RPM a do not idle over this limit suggestion by ducati? Don't really know.

Now I don't feel stupid for suggesting all the obvious things to check. ::)

S

·
0 Posts
Feel free to rip on me. I my ignorance is my pain. As the Japanese would say- I will tootle my horn at the excited dog to prevent entaglement in tire spokes.
There is alot more that I dont know, and I will probably let all of you in on that too.
u are a good sport Tonyj :)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotta tell you all that the idle lever works like a charm. I started up the bike and let it warm up a little over 1000 rpm without holding onto that twisty thingy- I think someone called it a throttle? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts