Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I installed my open air box and new air filter my engine now sounds like I have an exhaust leak but I think that now I can really hear the engine since the intake now is MUCH bigger. Anybody with this phenomenon after intalling new airbox and filter?

D

·
0 Posts
I just recently did this mod when I had my Stage 2 Jet Kit Installed. I don't currently ride w/ ear plugs, but I've been meaning to do so. I love the loud sound my bike makes from the Sil Motos exhaust, Vented Clutch Cover and now the open air box. But My hearing is more important, so if you don't ride w/ ear plugs I think you should highly consider them.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Oh yeah !Now it sounds like a real "monster"!I love this sound especially when other bikers turning their heads scared when they hear it! 8)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The intake noise is loud enough to be heard over the motor, clutch and open pipes.

Lower restriction intake is free horsepower to us but not to Ducati. They have to meet noise standards.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Oh yeah, I love that sound. You only hear it when you really crack open the throttle. If you ride sensibly around town it's only your exhaust which will annoy people :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for all the feedback. I love the sound but it was new however and you know with our very cool but tempermental bikes, "new" noises can make one nervous.

S

·
0 Posts
"HONK!"
god i love it...
well now you know why the stock airbox lid is so restrictive. it's all about meeting EPA/DOT noise standards.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I thought puttin new pipes on sounded much better, but man when I installed the FBF airbox conversion, holy fookin-ball shakin-head turnin-jap bikes runnin for cover-eye poppin :eek: h*ll I love it!

JJ

M

·
0 Posts
I have a '02 monster, so its fuel injected. I didn't catch if your was. I want to modify my air box so it can breath easier as well, but will this affect the computer in a bad way. The emissions s**t has already been taken off.
I also have had the exhaust modified to breath better (baffles taken out). My friends already say that it is inevitable that I am going to get pulled over for my exhaust, but I just love it! ;D

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Ah, the loud sucking sound of 900 or so cc's drawing as much air as they can when the trottle is cracked WFO..

Love it.

My cage sounds almost as loud..

S

·
0 Posts
I want to modify my air box so it can breath easier as well, but will this affect the computer in a bad way. I also have had the exhaust modified to breath better (baffles taken out).
ducati sends all their bikes to the US with a leaner-than-ideal fuel map to meet EPA emissions standards. running an open airbox AND freeflowing exhaust (aftermarket or modifed stock bits) will result in a VERY lean air/fuel ratio. a couple of spirited rides or a bit too long languishing in traffic and you'll be charring your valves.
couple options....
have your local ducati mechanic tune the ECU for a richer mixture. they should know how to do this (using the mathesis diagnostic computer) and it should run you about 1 hr labor.
PCIII power commander.
U59 replacement ECU.

for more on how the three options differ, do a search on "fuel injection" or "remapping"...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts