Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Sil hi's are leaking at a joint, ok, thats fixable...But it is leaking where the rivets are on the can, both on the right one.
Will they give me a new one??
FBF put them on, so I guess I'll go show them and see if I can get a new can???
Thats not helping my performance at all, is it :'(

H

·
0 Posts
I don't think it's that uncommon. Mine leak, several other I've seen leak, too. I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's normal. Anyone else care to jump in?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I haven't noticed a leak in mine, but I would agree with some of the remarks I've seen in the past about Sils not being very well made. If you inspect them closely, you can see that there isn't alot of attention to detail... rivets don't all line up, brackets are slightly off when compared to another can, etc...

Not surprised to hear about the leaks...

S

·
0 Posts
My 2-1 leaked, I have since replaced it. If it really bothers you it can be taken apart and high temp silicone could be applied and then re-rivet it. That all seems to be a pain for something that should be constructed right from the start.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
See if the dealer can replace the bad one... you probably haven't put many miles on it after getting them installed.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I had to rebuild my FBF highmounts as the glass stuffing just plain got blowed out. If the packing is proper and sufficient, there shouldn't even be a flow path for the gasses to leak out except the end. Only if the packing has started to blow or deteriorate will you then get a leak.

Just how new are they. I believe mine were having problems in as little as 400 miles. I bought them used and they supposedly only had around 400 miles on them. I noticed the problem right off but attempted to 'tighten' them up. After another 1000 miles it was getting worse and starting to discolor the CF. So I got a wile hair and tore them down. A good 30% of the packing had burnt away right at the entrance of the pipe towards the top. I fixed that up though and have had no problems since.

Just a note that since I fixed them up there is absolutely no leakage on the cans anywhere now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts