Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Shoei X-11. I got the Daijiro Kato Memorial Edition. I know it's pretty wild, but I think the graphics are fun. Plus, now all you SFBMHA'ers will know who I am - I'll be the guy riding around on the Monster Dark wearing the crazy Kato lid! I'll be watching you with those eyes on the back of my head. I just hope I don't spook the rider behind me! I got it over at Ducati of Marin - those guys are so F'ing cool. Now if it this rain would just go away :-/

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Kinda loud looking, but more visible that way...
That's what I figure too. I didn't get a dark shield yet. I don't even have the helmet yet! It should arrive at the dealer in a week or so. I'll probably pick up a spare shield then - maybe an iridium to complete the racer wannabe look ;D

H

·
0 Posts
Iridium. Now thats a ten dollar word. Now wonder the shield is ten dollars more than the ones for the RF-900!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How well does the mirror finish hold up on the Shoei shields? I remember reading that the old Arai ones were crap and would get all scratched up within weeks.

H

·
0 Posts
After 4000 miles, only 1 scratch, and I did that when I accidentally sat on the hemet with my keys hanging out of my pocket!DUH!!

I used it on 90% of the rides, and never needed sunglasses.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I want a new helmet!!! Thought I was getting an X-11 for Christmas but my wife surprised me and didn't get me one. ???

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Pogo-You can always tell her your helmet reached it's expiration date and you need it replaced-it worked for me ;D

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The X-11 takes the standard Shoei CX-1 face shield used on most of their helmets (I hade several over the years). The basic tinted shield is about $30. The metal coated shields are around $50. The X-11 comes with a light dark tinted shield as well as the clear one in a nice helmet bag. In my experience the best prices on helmets and accessories can be found at www.helmetshop.com (in Florida) or www.helmetharbor.com (Arizona). I've purchased from both and have gotten great service each time.

H

·
0 Posts
Where did you get that info? I only got 1 shield, and the parts list shows a different # for X-11 as aposed to the others...

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've come to realize I have an Arai head. I have nothing but respect for the high quality Shoei puts out but I do love my Arai Quantum F. In response to the mirrored face shield question... I wear my mirrored Arai faceshield everyday, not one scratch! it's holding up just fine. Never heard of the metal coated faceshields though, please go on!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG! I freaking LOVE my X-11. I finally got it today (...well sort of) and I just took it out for a road test. That thing is awesome. It feels so much lighter than my Arai Signet GT. The most amazing contrast with the Arai is how smoothly it moves through the air at speed. No more buffeting! Even when I turn sideways. It is so much more quiet, despite the extra airflow. And don't even get me started on the venting - yeah, I know, it's too damn cold out to open up all the vents - I just had to try it, and everything they say about it is true. The peripheral range is improved slightly over the Arai as well. Oh, and the shield mechanism - they are just to damn easy to replace! If you currently have an Arai Signet or just have a Signet head, I can't encourage you enough to get out there and try an X-11!

Now, the bad news. In my haste, I ordered the Kato memorial in a small without spending enough time with a small on my head. When my specially ordered Kato arrived yesterday (that helmet is absolutely stunning, by the way), I took it home and wore it in my bedroom for about 20 minutes. Well, it didn't take me very long to realize my mistake. I definitely needed a medium. I thought I had just blown a big wad of cash. Thankfully, I've gotten pretty friendly with the guys at my local dealer, and they took it back. I decided that, rather than spend $80 on a restocking fee (not the dealer's charge - their wholesaler's), I just swapped mine for a medium silver/blue Ukawa 2 that they had in stock. I like it almost as much as the Kato. Oh well...

Go get an X-11!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, I fell slighted now... I decided not to get the X-11, saved a few $ and got the Z-2 I think it is called, Monza Red(pretty close to ducati red) and the mirror shield... I think $57... and it is holding up fine! By the way anybody trying to decide between the two, X-11 vs. Z-2... Well I didn't try an X-11, but I have no complaints about the Z-2...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The X-11 takes the standard Shoei CX-1 face shield used on most of their helmets (I hade several over the years). The basic tinted shield is about $30. The metal coated shields are around $50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts