Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Monster S4R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Hello everyone. This is a 2005. I'm loving it; my first Ducati. Southern California rider.
Question is about coolant temps. I'm happy to see how low they trend, but are they too low? Yesterday I rode about 75 miles in temps ranging from 70 to 80 degrees (F). When riding easy on the open road temps would come down to around 150 (F), which makes me wonder if the thermostat is functioning properly? What do your temps run?

·
Registered
347 Posts
That seems kinda low but you are moving so it does help. My climate temperatures are about the same year round in Hawaii as yours. I’ll check my bike; a 2007 S4RS, the next time I ride to work. I feel like mine is usually around 165-180, but that is probably low traffic speeds. Does yours ever get hot enough at the lights to turn on the fans?
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just an update to your question mine was running 180F on the highway and around 195F in town. The temperature outside today is 75F.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have that exact same bike (mines blue). My temp runs 150-180F. I’m the original owner of the bike and I can count on one hand how many times the cooling fans have came on.

·
Registered
2005 Monster S4R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Bushy and Tex. I had a great 175 mile fun ride yesterday. 150-180F. Yeah, stopped in traffic in San Diego and I saw a bit higher. I love the excellent cooling on these bikes; my previous bike, a 2014 VFR800, definitely got hotter and got hot faster. Also, I did check the fans by idling at home and it slowly crept up and they turned on, so that's good to know.

·
Registered
2005 Monster S4R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems kinda low but you are moving so it does help. My climate temperatures are about the same year round in Hawaii as yours. I’ll check my bike; a 2007 S4RS, the next time I ride to work. I feel like mine is usually around 165-180, but that is probably low traffic speeds. Does yours ever get hot enough at the lights to turn on the fans? View attachment 227729
Hey, former Big Island resident and UH Hilo grad here!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, former Big Island resident and UH Hilo grad here!
Nice I just flew a UH-60 to the big island yesterday. Looks like you got no worries with your cooling system. You had me thinking I need to find a way to make mine run cooler for a second. Safe riding to you and hope your enjoying your new to you S4R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts