Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch on my week old (650 milkes) S4R "blew out today" and I was stuck on the side of the road for 1.5 hours waiting for a truck to pick it up. :'( Now I'm wondering what could have happened. It happened all of a sudden as I went to downshift from 2nd to 1st before a hairpin . The clutch lever only went halfway in, and did not activate the clutch and eventually the bike stalled. Master cylinder problem maybe ? Anyone know ? I know that they will fix it, but it leaves me wondering about future reliability. I did not abuse the clutch or shift madly or anything like that and I followed the run in instructions religiously.
I suppose it could have been worse, because it happened at a relativly slow speed . If it would have happened 20 minutes later I would have been up in the mountains out of cell phone range. The good news is the someone from my dealer drove 50 miles to come rescue me.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Something similar happened to my 02 750 (maybe). They said some pin in the tranny slipped out of allignment. So no worky. It took a month to get fixed under warranty, and no problems since.

good luck!

scooby ;D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey scooby--a month ! holy sh*t--how come so long. I'll really be bummed if it takes that long.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Well, it took two weeks for them just to look at it since it was last spring and they were swamped with work. Then another two weeks to get it done. It sucked! But think positively; yours will take less time!

scooby ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I've heard of the OEM slave cylinder causing that problem. Please let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scooby--I will think positive--snow is on the way here anyways--lots of things could be worse.

Moto--it really could be the slave--its so hard to tell whats mucking it up--something was certainly stuck--I will post the problem when its diagnosed--If it is the OEM part, is there a better replacement ? I would hate for it to happen again. I ride in the boonies all the time and really need confidence in the reliability (who's saying that I shouldn't have bought a Duc then ? ;)).

·
Registered
403 Posts
That sucks, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
We've got 2 S4R's in our crew, no reports of clutch jamming.

I have zero FHE on this, but I_imagine_the usual slave cyinders will work; Yoyodyne, Evoluzione, STM, etc.

Good to hear that your dealer stepped up to help you out.

As soon as ducati.com sees fit to publish the S4R parts manuals, a lot of the questions on S4 to S4R parts compatibility will be answered.....

S

·
0 Posts
I had clutch problems on my new bike. It ended up being just a air bubble in my hydraulic line. The clutch did not start to actually engage until about half way in.

This is did not start to happen till about a week after I bought the bike. I would think you clutch slave is fine. The dealer said they have not had a single bad slave on the new bikes. Plus you would be able to see the fluid that has leaked out of your clutch slave.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My clutch lever completly stops halfway in, it basically wont disengage at all. I cant wait to find out what it was. Hope no parts have to be ordered.
I miss my monster [smiley=dissappointed.gif]

S

·
0 Posts
that's weird... sounds like the problem the slave cylinders had on '01 bikes (why they were recalled). i don't remember the exact cause, but something to do with pressure build-up in the slave that would essentially sieze it.

if it's the slave, then yep... any of the usual suspects will work.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the '01 slaves were sealed to in the back to prevent contamination , hopefuly preventing leakage. problem is some still leaked. since the leaking fluid had nowhere to go, you had a hydrostatic lock situation. squeeze the lever, no movement. the replacement slaves were given a weep hole.

S

·
0 Posts
I had an ongong clutch problem with my S4R this summer. I started having trouble shifting/finding neutral at about the 600 mile mark. I took the bike in for the first service and talked to the dealer about it. I had already purchased an STM Slave for the bike so I had him do the swap during the first service.My dealer rebled the system twice after installing the STM slave but after less than 100 each time the free play in the clutch lever would increase to the point that I couldn't find neutral or shift the bike at all. It seemed at the time to both of us that air was entering in the system some how. As a last resort they replaced the master cylinder. The problem returned again but this time we together realized that the free play adjustment set screw built into the clutch lever was backing out which prevented the push rod in the master cylinder from fully engaging. There is a set screw that is supposed to be loosened when the free play is set. After setting the free play, the screw is tightened down which is supposed to lock the adjusting screw in place. My set screw was stripped so it wasn't locking down the adjustment like it was supposed to. After the repair the clutch has been fine for months now. I'm convinced that this was the problem all along. If the bike is still unrideable look under the cutch lever for the set screw. It's very small, like 2 or 2.5mm. Loosen that and try to adjust the free play at the lever by screwing in the adjustment screw. This screw is right behind the clutch lever. If it's like mine was this adjustment screw had backed out to the point that the clutch wasn't working at all. Screw it in until there is a small amount of free play at the clutch lever.If the set screw won't tighten or loosen it sould be replaced or the adjustment screw could be lock tighted in place. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info---As I stated in a another post, the problem was that the nut which holds the clutch basket on came off--fouled up quite a few parts that were replaced in a week--Bike is back now and seemingly running fine--I put 200 miles on this weekend with no problems (knock on wood) [smiley=worried.gif]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts