Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I just picked up a 2001 Monster S4 over the weekend. Got it from Erico in Denver.

The weather was questionable all weekend, so I didn't get many quality miles on it yet. Quite a different beast than my CBR600!!

Still has the stock exhaust, I was wondering if putting "hi" pipes on it would prevent me from taking passengers? From the photos I've seen, I would say it would.

Clutch pull is tough, I've read about the mods to lessen some of that, might consider doing that, getting caught in rush hour traffic with that clutch pull would be brutal.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello an welcome aboard. to answer your question about passengers. the high pipes work great but not by themselves. you need to drop the stock rearsets and buy a aftermarket set without rear passenger pegs. then if you don't have one yet get a seat cowl on your seat!

here is a good clutch slave replacement by yoyodyne, works great and looks good to. good luck with your new bike.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome ;D
I too have a 2001 S4, do a quick search on the FAQ page and you'll find every mod possible and then some.
If your on a budjet you can get stati -> http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4s/ to modify your pipes and still carry pasengers, but I doubt you'd want to do that to often anyway on an S4.
Enjoy............

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link! I've been reading as much as I can, still trying to decide which slip-ons would be best for me. I don't plan to ride 2up that often, but there are those days when the wife doesn't want to ride her own bike... so I hate to lose that option.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see another S4 owner. Have really enjoyed my low mount pipes and they were a snap to mount. You may want to search the previous threads on high mounts and the installation problems encountered before you decide.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Congrats and welcome - how many miles on that bike?

Don't mean to kill the buzz of a new bike - but don't forget to check what kind of battery you have there.

I am sure you will enjoy the bike.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Welcome KK!
I love the guys and girls at Erico. They also have a pretty cool collection of vintage bikes there. I changed my stock clutch slave for a Evoluzione unit http://www.evoluzione.net/ although to be honest I didn't notice a huge difference the required pull. One thing to consider about hi-pipes (I like the look too) is if you ever plan to use sidebags. What are your impressions of the S4 compared to your CBR600?

Also in reference to MonkeyBoys comment, do check to make sure you have a Yuasa battery. If you don't Erico should replace it free of charge (they did for me). In case you didn't know about the GS battery leakage problems.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

No, I did not know about the battery issue. I'll take a look tonight to see what's going on there. There are a couple items I need from the previous owner anyway, the bike was on consignment.

Here's some background on it.

2001 S4
14 tooth countershaft sprocket
carbon fiber chin fairing (belly pan)
4200miles on the odometer, engine blew at 1800 due to an oil pump failure, Ducati replaced it.
I ordered new tires as the current ones are worn.

I've put about 40 miles on it so far, so here are my early impressions. First of all, I've had the CBR since I bought it new in 1996, so it fits like a glove. I put a full Yosh exhaust system on and rejetted, dyno tuned, it's putting down around 90hp? It's been so long, I think that's about right.

The CBR handling is effortless, you think about leaning and it will lean, very stable in corners, holds a line like it's on a rail. The monster, seems to want to stay upright, more effort required to get a lean going, seems a bit unsettled in corners. This could be due to the worn tires, the rear definitely has a flat spot. Steering in general feels loose. Any unusual road conditions will cause a large squirm out of the whole chassis.

Power on both machines is excellent. I haven't pushed the Ducati yet as I don't know it that well. But I've probably done some 7k-8k runs on it, weeeee!!

The fuel-injection seems a tad abrupt, this can be fixed with better technique, but I found myself entering a corner and not quite on the gas yet, there was quite an unsettling hit when the throttle finally picked up. It's just a matter of being setup earlier than I would need to be on the CBR. The CBR seems to be quite forgiving in all cases, covering up for rider technique everywhere... ;)

I noted some clutch issues that I was concerned about in the Tech section. Hopefully these are normal dry-clutch issues.

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the S4, I love it so far and am having a blast. I've been wanting to get a Ducati for ages, finally! It's just that the CBR has near perfect handling, a tough act to follow for sure.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The CBR handling is effortless, you think about leaning and it will lean, very stable in corners, holds a line like it's on a rail.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Congrats on the bike. One thing that fixed the "washed out" feel for me when leaving corners was to raise the rear ride height up a bit with the adj tie rod. It is a world of difference once you get the suspension set up right and get the back end up a little. Clipons would be the next step after that. Have fun!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the board. I just got an S4 after riding a cbr600 for a couple of years. It sure takes some getting used to. Have fun with your new bike.

--Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts