Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things I learned, that may explain why some new riders overfill the oil.

Here's what happened:

Rode my 2006 620, parked it on the side stand. Next day, I popped it up on the Pit Bull rear stand. I noticed that the oil was down to the "low" mark near the sight glass. Hmmm ...

So I add 125 ml and idle it for 5 mins on the side stand. The level goes up about midway in the sight glass. So, I add another 125 ml and figure it's good. Take it for a ride and park it. Next day, I pop it up on the stand Pit Bull stand again. It's down to the "low" mark again!? Wow. So, I take it off the stand, idle it for 5 ins on the side stand. Shut off, then pop up on the Pit Bull stand. Still down to "low" mark. WTF?

I am about to add oil, but I STOP. Instead, I take for a ride, and get engine up to 130 degrees F. Shut off, and pop up on stand. Oil is at the "hi" mark! No problem.

Do NOT add oil unless you have checked the level when the engine is WARM, i.e. 130 degrees F. (Read the Manual.) I could have overfilled the oil. The oil is very hard to check unless the bike is on a centerstand, or at least a rear stand. If you don't have a rear stand, get one!

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
As an aside: Is it possible to get a hydraulic lock b/c of overfilling with oil?

Those who know, please share your wisdom... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
I use a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand...gets the bike close enough to level to do a proper oil-fill and helps reduce the bike's 'footprint' in the garage.

My 2-cents ;):

Wondering about the hydraulic lock wrt 'horizontal' piston/cylinder geometry - methinks it would take a massive amount of oil (far more than the 3.x liters manual calls for) and would be 'noticeable'.

A casual glance at my engine suggests that oil would be overflowing out of the fillport long before the base of the cylinder is submerged. One might suspect Ducati understood this when they designed the engine/frame arrangment.

Overfilling is, I think, more an issue wrt proper oil flow to the crankshaft.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Supero100 said:
As an aside: Is it possible to get a hydraulic lock b/c of overfilling with oil?

Those who know, please share your wisdom... ;)
Highly unlikely, but it a can cause clutch drag in a wet clutch system, excessive oil consumption, carbon build up, gasket and seal failure, and even oil starvation due to foaming. A student came to me whom had purchased a middle age Yamaha 750 cheap. Hard shifting, couldn't find neutral, air box full of oil and fouled plugs after a few trips around the block. I asked him about the oil level. He said the window is full. I advised him to drain it and measure. Seven quarts!! He put the right amount of oil in, problems solved. I am now his hero.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
howie said:
Highly unlikely, but it a can cause clutch drag in a wet clutch system, excessive oil consumption, carbon build up, gasket and seal failure, and even oil starvation due to foaming. A student came to me whom had purchased a middle age Yamaha 750 cheap. Hard shifting, couldn't find neutral, air box full of oil and fouled plugs after a few trips around the block. I asked him about the oil level. He said the window is full. I advised him to drain it and measure. Seven quarts!! He put the right amount of oil in, problems solved. I am now his hero.
Mine too. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts