Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and need all the gear. Already have a helmet and jacket. Next is gloves.
What gloves would you recommend?
I'm looking for something confortable with reasonable protection. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Really depends on the amount of money you want to spend... I have some real nice dainese gloves that I love, but they are about $120.00. You may want to try newenough.com, they have a really good write up on all the products they sell and they have good prices. You should go and try on any gloves that you are interested in, because all the different manufacturers fit diferently... I was going to get some real nice Frank Thomas gloves that are less $ than the dainese, but the pinky finger was WAY TOO big for me, and the dainese just fit me perfectly!!! So, chack the web sites, go try them on if you can and get what looks and feels good. if it is a well known brand, it should be quality protection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I personally prefer something with CF or any sort of protected knuckles.
Also, kangaroo leather palms will not bleed on you like some black leather palmed gloves which is a pain to clean and may take a few rides to break in.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
There are lots of good brands, but fit to your hand is probably the most important factor. Some other things to look for are:
- curve of the fingers and thickness of the palm - you don't want the glove bunching up on a long ride
- seams on the fingers and palm that can irritate
- if the gloves have gauntlets make sure they fit over your jacket
- easy to get on and off - if they have a strap that keeps them on your hand make sure it is easy to open and close
- reasonable protection (thick leather, padding or hard armor) on the backs and good thickness on the palm area

You might want to consider a set of warm weather gloves and a set of cold or wet weather gloves eventually. Pretty tough to find one pair that does both well.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for those features in th gloves I'll be trying on this weekend.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i spoke with an orthopedic surgeon once who felt that
the newer gloves with carbon and metallic inserts were
the best thing since canned beer. apparently they
can significantly reduce the severity of hand damage
sustained in a crash (ever seen a photo of mick doohan's
hands???). i'll never ride with plain-old-leather again ...
its worth the extra money.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
their SP1Re: New rider - Which gloves?

I like the Alpinestar SP3. Has carbon Knuckle guards and great protection at about $89, their SP1 race gloves have the best protection but are $179 and are uncomfortable for street riding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have Joe Rocket pheniex gloves carbon fiber knuckles leather palms and some sort of breathable material elsewheres. Good on hot days but not the greatest in cold weather. they run about 50.00.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the Alpinestars SP3 did not have carbon protectors, onlyh leather. Not that I absolutely have to have CF...

I'll check and if they do, I'll definetely get one of those, since I like the way they look.

Thanks,
Luis

S

·
0 Posts
i picked up a pair of icon "hooligan" gloves today. they clock in at about $70. they're very comfortable; seem to vent well in the warm weather. the thing that i don't really like about them is the stitching in the fingers. the seams are on the outside and they feel a little uncomfortable. we'll see how they are once they break in a bit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I too am looking for gloves and was wondering what kind of protection I should look for in the palms of the glove. I've seen some with metal pieces in the palm however most only have that kind of protection on the knuckles. Isn't the palm in more danger of road rash? Is leather alone good enough for the palms?

O

·
0 Posts
you guys looking for gloves need to look at ebay. i picked up a pair of icon burner gloves for 66 bucks they retail for 99$.
igot a black pair and i took a black magic marker to the flames

http://listings.ebaymotors.com/aw/plistings/category50425/index.html?from=R11

i also have other gloves by joe rocket. the speedmaster glove and a pair of pheniex gloves both are well made with carbon fiber knuckles and leather palms. i would not buy any glove for retail thats just to much.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Check out Held gloves. I bought a pair of the "Steve" model at Ducati Day Daytona and really like them. About $120 at Motobritalia. Protective padding in the backs of the fingers and hand, kangaroo hide palms, skid rivets backed w/Kevlar on the heel of the palm and extra padding on the outside of the wrist. The gauntlet is long enough and large enough to go over my leather or textile jacket sleeves and there's an adjustable strap on the wrist. Money well spent, I think.

Eddie

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I tried on a pair of Heid gloves...

Check out Held gloves. I bought a pair of the "Steve" model at Ducati Day Daytona and really like them. About $120 at Motobritalia. Protective padding in the backs of the fingers and hand, kangaroo hide palms, skid rivets backed w/Kevlar on the heel of the palm and extra padding on the outside of the wrist. The gauntlet is long enough and large enough to go over my leather or textile jacket sleeves and there's an adjustable strap on the wrist. Money well spent, I think.

Eddie
They felt awesome. I just need to get back to that dealer.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I bought a set of Held gloves when I was buying new riding gear after crash testing the old stuff. They're quite comfortable and offer good protection. Mine cost about $80.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts