Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to motorcycling. I just took the MSF course in NJ 2 weeks ago and my first bike is being delivered tomorrow ('14 Monster 796) to my apartment in NYC. I know many people probably think this is too much bike for a first, but I am confident in being safe, taking it slow, hyper-aware of my surroundings and mature on the bike.

That being said, I would like to practice some exercises for the first few days to a week to get my form down and enhance my safety on the bike. Does anyone have suggestions on what exactly to practice and how, other than some of the lessons in the MSF course.

Also, for any NYC riders out there, do you know of any good spots to practice in either an open space (I know, unheard of) or quiet areas?

Thanks in advance for the advice; if anyone in the tri-state area would like to go for a ride sometime, I would love to make some new moto friends.

Best,
Max

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of motorcycling. I replied to your other thread so some of what I say may be repetitive.

First, I want to say I cannot imagine riding in NYC traffic, much less learning to ride at the same time. The thought of it makes me cringe. With that said, I suppose you will be baptized by fire.

As far as practicing goes, considering the environment you will find yourself in, becoming proficient starting and stopping are going to be important. You need to find the friction zone and become comfortable with clutch control. You don't want to be stalling out in the middle of traffic. The exercises you practiced in the MSF class are probably your best bet. Slow speed maneuvering, clutch control (as I said earlier), accident avoidance, and emergency stopping are all great exercises. Practice feathering the clutch to cut down on the surging and bucking that you will experience at low speeds. Keep your fingers covering the clutch at all times. Do NOT cover the brake with your fingers. It can lead to unintentionally grabbing a handful of brake in an panic situation.

I don't now where you'll find an open parking lot - a large church during the week, a school parking lot before school is back in session may be good choices. If there are developments near you with not a lot of traffic, that may be a good choice as well.

Good luck learning and please don't try to ride over your head.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Step one, purchase and wear appropriate gear. Step two, take a MSF course. Self taught is not the way to go. Then step three is a beginners track day. Last but not least, always ride your own ride. Never try to keep up and ride over your head.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If this is a new bike and needs to be run in, get out of town and ride on some more open roads. Read up on breaking in the bike but basically vary the speed/revs, some gear changing, very gently on brakes at first and slowly bed them in. Dont break in your new bike learning how to stop start traffic and ride the clutch around town, mix it up and get the wheels rolling and have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts