Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Monster (my first) from a friend who was the 2nd owner of the bike. It has tons of modifications, like raised exhaust pipes, adjustable rear suspension, something about a jet(?) kit for better intake, reverse gear shift and some others I couldn't really list (I'm not that savvy with specs) and has 38,115 miles on it. It also has a little road rash from the previous chick owner but it's not too bad. I gave him a check for $2700... was this a fair price?

My friend didn't ride it for over a month so it had trouble staying on when I closed up the choke(?) but keeping it wide open, it was OK... it idled high and loud like that. He told me it takes a while to warm up because of the carburator engine, plus that he hadn't ridden it in a while might have something to do with it. On the way home, it died sitting at a light so I had to open it up a little bit more. My husband was in the car behind me and he complained that he smelled gas all the way home. Needless to say, he's not very happy about me buying it. He doesn't ride so I don't know how much of his opinion I should listen to. He didn't want me to spend more than $3K to buy a bike so I guess "you get what you pay for" applies here.

Anyway, I made an appointment at a Ducati service dealer for a 6K tune-up, about $550 for parts and labor. I hope that this will improve the ride a little bit. I just wanted to get opinions out there about older Monsters -- price, expected behavior, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the dealer needs to know about your running problems before doing the service. there is something wrong with the bike. if they do the service before diagnosis, it may cost you more $.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
That's cool you got the bike, but it definently sounds like there is a problem. I read somewhere that it is bad to ride with the choke on. I think that was for FI models, but maybe carbed as well. Have the service dept. check it out like howie said. It could be that the carbs are improperly set up, or something minor like that.

One other thing, you said the bike has 38,115 miles on it, but you are taking it for a 6,000 mile service? I bet it needs a lot of tuning up, if 38K is the actual milage, that is quite a bit, if services haven't been properly kept up, there could be quite a bit of parts needing to be replaced and tuned up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with someone in the service dept when I made the appt and told the lady what I knew about its service history and what the seller had told me. She's the one who recommended a standard 6k tune-up and that she'd have the mechanic check out the other parts as well, tuning belt, chains, etc. I forgot to tell her about the idling problem but I'll be sure to tell them. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Good luck with your new Monster, your Ducati dealer should get her in fine running order, may need a few things, but hey, for $2700.

And No you can't run with the choke on,it will flood the carburetor with gas, the idle speed may just need adjusted, and it takes a while for a cold bike to warm up, especially one thats not been ridden in a while.

And from one gal rider to another, don't let your husband discourage you, get him interested in bikes too, and maybe he will get one too. thats the best when your soulmate rides too, both me and my husband ride, and it's great!

And if you haven't already, take the Motorcycle safety course in your state, you will be glad you did, get your husband to take it with you, even if he don't ride, he can see what it is all about!

Enjoy your new bike and ride safe!! ;D

Deb

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!

I think the low price you paid will more than compensate for any work that will need to be done on it.
If the bike has been sitting awhile, its likely that the gas in the carbs has gotten gummed up. A good carb cleaning, fresh gas,and some new plugs should get you straightened out. ;)

As far as the service...did you get any records from the previous owner about when valve adjustements and other services were done? The valves get checked every 6k, and belts changed every 12. If you dont know when it was done, getting it done now lets you get on top of regular services.
Also see if you can find an independent shop near you that can service ducatis , they can be a lot cheaper than the dealer ($550 is a little on the high side)

Also, just to give you a heads-up....on a bike with higher miles, you will eventually need new rings. You can get a high-compression piston kit (with rings) for around $250, and another couple hundred to install it. You will know its time when the bike smokes on hard acceleration and de-acceleration.

Oh, and if your husband doesnt like your new Monster, tell him 'bite me'...thats what us Monster Owners do. ;D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a recommendation for an independent service shop in the Huntington Beach, CA area (or Orange County)?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
To elaborate just a bit on what Higgie said,

If you don't have a record of the last cam belt change, just get 'em swapped. That's a 12k service item rather than a 6k. The belts should be changed every 12k OR two years. If the bike has gotten little use over the past few years, those belts could be old. Not worth risking a blown belt :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts