Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my recent high-side I decided to replace my bent stock bars with Renthal off-road bars. After a long search for a set that would require the least amount of alterations I found a pair of ATV bars for a Yamaha Raptor.

They went on just fine - had to re-route the start switch harness, fast idle cable, throttle cable and main wiring harness behind the triple tree. It still looks pretty good, but I like these bars so much I think I'm going to go ahead and "lengthen" everything.

The start switch harness is going to be the worst - there's probably 15 wires to lengthen. The front brake cable I'll probably replace with Goodridge or similar brake lines. The main harness can probably be extended (I hope) by re-routing from the edge of the frame to the center.

The ride was pretty compfortable before - now it's down right Lazy-boy'ish! ;) I plan to put about 400mi on her this weekend. Next up: those mouse ears have got to go!!!!!!!! :mad: - oh notice BIG dent in tank.

Check out the Member bikes for a few more pics.

jb

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Cool bars! Thanks for the report. I'm still debating whether or not to go with Renthal offroad bars to get a little more upright. Those look really good. I was afraid the crossbar might look strange on a Monster, but it fits right in. I would prefer to stay with aluminum bars and the Ducati City Bars are chrome steel, so I decided against them for now.

When I was comparing Renthal dimensions, I noticed a couple of the ATV bars were close to what I was looking for. Those Raptor bars were probably the same ones.

About how much do you estimate the new bars move your hands up and/or back from stock bars?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2.5" up and close to an 1" back believe it or not. I could go another 1" back with longer front brake cables. The difference is astounding.

The mouse ears have to go. :mad: With the aluminum bars there is more vibration in the mirrors (not in my hands though) which makes them even more useless. There is room for the CRG bar end mirrors which I'm planning on getting soon.

If you need a model number let me know.

jb

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Cool ! Thanks. I checked my notes and had a Renthal part # for the Raptor bars as 607-01. That look right?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big long number on tag:

607-01-SI-04-227

Sounds like it. Good luck - take your time and be patient relocating everything. I haven't drilled the holes in mine yet - I will, but I want to decide what the final configuration is going to be, i.e. lengthening things etc.

jb

·
Registered
107 Posts
so you did not have to change the break lines? or are you going to. i want to accomplish the same result without the extra labor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didn't need to change the break lines - but. . . I did loosen the braket on the bottom triple and squeek 1/4" extra length. The set-up works great as is but I want it to look totally stock so the wireing harness and cables will get lengthened and run back in front of the upper tree.

Can't say enough about how compfortable the ride is . . . gotta get rid of those da*mn mouse ears :mad:

jb

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, Are they the tapered bars? If so, what did you do for a top bracket? I like the idea of bringing the bars back a bit.

By the way, How come you have those CRAB EYES STILL???
or as some of you say "mickey mirrors"

Kevin

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kevin,
Are they the tapered bars
Nope - plain ole ATV bars - not the pro tapers.

By the way, How come you have those CRAB EYES STILL
I still haven't found the time to do a 3d AutoCAD model of some mirrors I want you guys to proto-type, seriously. Let me know if your interested before I waste the time (it's very valuable these days) :-/

jb

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, depending on the design and if enough people would like them- I would prototype. I know you have made comments about our design in the past and I would be curious to what you come up with. Call me to discuss details before you go too far with your time.

toll free 877-782-1119

1 - 10 of 10 Posts