Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is: Are earplugs really needed when replacing the pipes with say, Sil High mounts 105dB. I would eventually like to get high mounts, but don't really want to have to wear earplugs just to ride around.

Rainman

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ear plugs should be worn at all times while ride if you truly care about your hearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried wearing them but I can't get used to it. I know they will serve purpose but I haven't cimmitted to them yet. Very good suggestion though.

R.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just the wind noise alone from riding, would possibly require ear plugs? Not just necessarily the new pipes? Thanks for the info.

Rainman

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I agree on the need for ear plugs. Wind alone at interstae speeds is enough noise for damage. It's a cumulative affect and you'll thank yourself in years to come. I'll be 50 next month and have moderate tinitus. Wish I had taken better care of my ears when I was younger.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
P_R,

There are LOTS of different kinds of plugs and, except for the custom ones, they're all cheap. So keep trying different kinds until you find one that works for you. It's a very personal thing as ear canals are all different sizes and shapes.

It's worth investing the effort to find a brand/model that is comfortable and provides the kind of attenuation you want. I can't remember the brand of the ones I'm now using so I can't give you specifics (and they may not work for you anyway).

I Googled "ear plugs" and "motorcycles" and found a lot of choices.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have custom plugs. Cost me $50 dollars a set. Not bad for an ear plug made just for you.

P_R,

There are LOTS of different kinds of plugs and, except for the custom ones, they're all cheap. So keep trying different kinds until you find one that works for you. It's a very personal thing as ear canals are all different sizes and shapes.

It's worth investing the effort to find a brand/model that is comfortable and provides the kind of attenuation you want. I can't remember the brand of the ones I'm now using so I can't give you specifics (and they may not work for you anyway).

I Googled "ear plugs" and "motorcycles" and found a lot of choices.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I'll second the custom plugs.
much easier (and quicker) to get in your ear, and they always seat all the way in.
they also last for a couple years...and you can wash em when they get yucky.
they always have a booth or 2 doing it at races.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the disposable ones, they're great. You'll really appriciate plugs when you slam on the gas.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Any ear plug is cheap insurance. Wear them every time you ride for a few days/week and you will get use to it. Then wonder how you could have ridden without them.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I wish I had worn earplugs when I was younger. I have a bit of a hearing loss plus constant ringing.

I wear earplugs anytime I ride more than about 10 miles. It's probably more important for the wind noise than for loud pipes, but the loud pipes will cause hearing loss at a different fequency.

I've tried probably a dozen different brands. The foam ones for sleeping like Flents Quiet Please that is sold at Walmart can do a decent job the very first time you insert them, but if you take them out at a stop you're unlikely to get a good seal when you put them back in. They work great 5-10 times for sleeping though.

I purchased 100 pairs of Howard Leight Max earplugs a few months ago. They cut out more sound than any others I've tried, but they can be tricky to insert and can only be reused a few times. They form a little too good of a seal, which can be a problem if you're going up and down in altitude.

My favorite earplug is the Ultra Noise Husher from North Safety Products, which used to be for sale in the gun section at Walmart, but I can't find them anymore. I would order some online if I could find a place. They are a bit easier to insert, let just the right amount of noise through, feel comfortable for hours, and still work well when you reuse them. The only problem I've noticed with them (other than being unavailable) is that they'll collect every bit of earwax that they touch, so they start to look disgusting after a few uses. You can stick them in a pocket when you wash your clothes to clean them, though.

Supposedly the best earplugs for cutting out bad sound but letting you still hear the good sound is the Etymotic ER-20. I bought a set and they do an amazing job in that regard, but they hurt all the time in my ears. I finally got rid of them because of that.

I also have a set of custom molded earplugs that I picked up at a motorcycle show. I like them because it takes about five seconds to insert them properly, but they let through too much wind noise. They're still way better than no plugs. After owning them a year, I went back to the same motorcycle show and stopped by the booth to see if they could improve them. They added something to the surface, but I still got the same behavior. I always have the molded ones with me in case I ever have problems inserting the foam plugs and need to get going.

I've also tried a few Hearos plugs. The only ones of note are the AquaHearos, which are molded plastic that have little handles for inserting into the ear. They're easy to insert, and do a good job attenuating sound, but they can be uncomfortable, almost like the ER-20, and they'll occasionally pop out if you go up in altitude.

[If we don't have an earplug FAQ, could we put some of this information in one?]

·
Registered
849 Posts
I use Howard Leight disposables, I picked up a tub at a local gun shop for something around 30 bucks and have probably gone about 15.000 miles on that investment (a pair usually lasts me four or five rides depending on how dirty I care to get, and I usually carry a clean pair on my person in case a fellow rider forgot his or wants to try them out).

I wear them not only on the Monster but also on my R6 with its quiet stock exhaust. I can still hear traffic and converse with other riders while sitting at a light but I fatigue less quickly and don't have that annoying to painful ring after a long canyon or freeway run. I also wore them when I took my car (stock exhaust) to the track.

-R.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah I wish I would have used plugs when I was younger also, constant ringing now (tinitus), I have been using ear plugs for a year now. It took a long time to get used to themI tried to use them the previous year but could only use them for a short time.
I just use the foam ones, they seem to work fine for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
you are all talking about talking about wearing earplugs while wearing a helmet i assume. how much wind noise do you people get in your helmet?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I know some people get turned off by earplugs the first time they try it. It can make you feel slightly disoriented and cut off, especially good earplugs. For anyone here who's not using them for this reason, what worked for me is committing to riding a week with them while commuting. After a few rides it becomes natural and there's no problem hitting the twisties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts