Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, loving the new bike.. Got some questions about stuff perhaps you guys can help me with.

First of all, whats the recommended repair manual? Any better than others? And where to order from?

Also, on my handlebars there are 2 resevoirs for brake fluid.. one by the clutch and one by the handbreak. I'm not used to seeing 2 up there, are they for the back and front respectively?

Also, I don't see any fluid in the TINY window they give.. maybe I need a flashlight or something? Or its low? Not sure what I should be seeing in those windows.

Also, there is a clear resevoir type thing on the right hand side of the bike, under the seat.. About 1 inch tall.. clear liquid in it.. kind of looks like fuel? What is that?

I don't think its the fuel filter because that seems to be secured to the underside of the seat...

Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The reservoir on the left is for the hydraulic clutch, the one on the right is for the front brake. That one down by your brake pedal is for the rear brake.

The square reservoirs with the little round window are generally full of brake fluid, above the window. If you have any doubts, you can carefully remove the top to see how much is in there. Then if it ever drops down enough so that you see a line of air at the top you know it's time to add more fluid.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is both the clutch fluid and brake fluid the same thing? If either of them are truly low, what do I fill them up with? I see referenced in the forums and FAQ's to DOT 3, 4, 5, and 5.1... What to use?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You can download an owner's manual from ducati.com, that will help you a lot as to what's what and where.

You can get a genuine Ducati service manual from a dealer.
You can also get the OEM owner's manual too, same content as the above downloadable one, just the typical bound 4x6 size.

You can get a Haynes manual from one of our board sponsors:
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Yep, same fluids. Plan on changing them out once a year as routine maintenance. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air slowly but steadily, and picks up a silt-like goo as it does its work in there. By changing it out, you will prolong the service life of the master cyclinders.

I use DOT3 fluid rated specifically for disc brakes, usually Prestone and always open a fresh container because of the aforementioned moisture absorbtion. Some folks will argue that a high zoot silicone based fluid DOT4 or 5 or higher is better. I think as long as it's clean and rated for disc brakes it is fine.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
you can use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. do not use silicone DOT 5. the higher the DOT number, the higher the wet (after water absorbtion) and dry (fresh) boiling point. change the brake fluid at least once a year or 12k miles, whichever comes first. if you don't know when it was changed last it's time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts