Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Ducati owner. My other bike is a highly modified 2006 Sportster.

First mod will be to install some handlebar risers. I want to buy the GenMar risers, but they don't show a P/N specifically for the 2007 S2R1K model. They do show a P/N for risers that work on all S4R and the 2005 S2R. Anyone know if the risers for the S4R will work on an S2R1K?

I'm also looking at slip-ons. The ARC Fabrication Stainless Steel reverse megaphones look nice, and fit my budget. Will these give me "the sound". Any experience with the quality of ARC components?

I've orderd the Desmodue book by LT Snyder, any other suggestions for educational reading material?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Congrats!! I would suggest you ride the bike a while before getting the risers. The position is new to your body. You might grow to like it. ARC Fab's quality is incredible, "the sound" is in the ear of the beholder. I would call Doug and speak to him about sound. He may be able to deliver what you like.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cool! Congrats!

1.) follow the wire that comes off the bladder on the exhaust system. This goes up into a rats nest of cables. Unplug it and secure both ends.

This disabled the dreaded O2 sensor if you are having "surging" problems where at constant throttle, the engine feels like it is hunt or is having inconsistent fuel delivery.

Cheer! :)

oh yea....this thread is useless w/o pics!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Congrats! But we need pics so we can tell you the other colors are faster. :D I would agree on waiting a bit before changing the bars, I would bet you grow to like the riding position.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Congratz and welcome!

Go for the risers if you like. It's only money. Many of us here have gone lower with clip ons because of what we've ridden in the past.

What color you get? ...pics please.

Edit: There's a link here in AllanRR's post about risers. I think the S2R800 and 1K have the same stock bar set up.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=62492.0

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The color is red with black wheels. Will post a pic after I get the new exhaust cans. Right now it looks like any other S2R1K right off the showroom, except that I've removed all of the stickers.

As for changes from 2006, I wouldn't know. The only obvious change is that the wheels used to be white and now they are black (thankfully).

Haven't noticed any surging problems, yet.

I like the GenMar risers over the Eastern, because the former are anodized to match the existing hardware. I'll take your suggestions and hold-off to see if I get used to the stock position. So far I've only ridden ~100 miles, and I was feeling like risers would help. I've learned to grip the tank with my legs and let my torso do the work, but I still think I might end up with risers.

This morning I drilled a couple of 2-inch holes on the backside of the airbox cover, but didn't really notice much of a difference in the sound. Then I saw the sound deadening material attached to the underside of the tank. Once that was removed (gotta love velcro), the holes in the airbox had the desired effect. On my Sportster I run an open K&N, so I'm used to that giant sucking sound. Regarding K&N, anyone know the P/N for a K&N that is a direct replacement for the OEM filter?

I also removed the rubber seal from around the clutch cover, and used the spacers that were pressed into the seal to re-mount the cover. Its starting to sound like it should...

Now I just need to get those SS Reverse Megaphones from Doug at ARC.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
welcome ivan. as you can see my previous bikes below, i was H-D'n for 35 years. the position of the S*R is much more aggressive. i put the ecd risers on quickly as i had trouble getting used to that position. they made the new stance more comfortable for me anyway. speedymotos are nice too. good luck & enjoy what i consider the best move i ever made. 8)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congratulations!

I have a 2006 S2R1K. I installed ARCfab reverse cone megaphones and I love them. The sound is exactly what I wanted. I opted for the baffles which I think sounds like a small block V8 with glass pack mufflers. It's awesome, but as someone stated earlier, sound is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Ivan said:
First mod will be to install some handlebar risers. I want to buy the GenMar risers, but they don't show a P/N specifically for the 2007 S2R1K model. They do show a P/N for risers that work on all S4R and the 2005 S2R. Anyone know if the risers for the S4R will work on an S2R1K?
Bars for all the S*R models are the same except for the Dark models. The Darks use the same bars as the standard Monsters.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Wanwo said:
Congratz and welcome!

Go for the risers if you like. It's only money. Many of us here have gone lower with clip ons because of what we've ridden in the past.

What color you get? ...pics please.

Edit: There's a link here in AllanRR's post about risers. I think the S2R800 and 1K have the same stock bar set up.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=62492.0
incorrect about the risers.

the 800 has the rise molded into the top tripple. the 1000 has a tiny rise molded into the top tripple and then spacers up to the bar height.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have an 06' S2R100 in the garage pictures can be found here http://www.mad-ducati.com/GalleryShowTN.php?GalleryId=360. I will take your questions in order. I have the Gen Mar Risers and they should fit on your 07' as far as I know there was no change between 06 and 07. As to whether you need them or not, I have a 32/33 sleeve length and found the stock position to be to far of a reach and I also found the bars to be too wide, so I took 1/2" off of each end and added the Gen Mar Risers and BTW I have no toruble getting around the track this way. Regarding the ARC, I got the one without baffles, I do not like the way it sounds at idle but once you open it up it sounds great, does not sound like a typical Ducati however such as my other 2 Ducatis with Termis. I bought this bike for just around town and track days so this exhaust solution and price work for me and BTW the quality is top notch. There are other mods that I have done some performance and some weight/bling be glad to answer any questions I can about the other MODS. - Gene

·
Registered
928 Posts
DP, Old habits die hard I go with those that have history. So far all parts on the S2R have been excellent, unlike some of the stuff 2 years ago that I got for the 900, only issue I had was the beer tray the bolts are of soft aluminimum or alloy of some sort, two of them broke when I took off the tray for a track day, replace under warranty - no questions asked.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome, I too found that the riding position wasn't my favorite on the 1000. I have added a set of genmar risers. Probably doubled the amount of time it would take for my neck to kink. As far as the ARC megacones, I have a set that was on the bike for about two weeks. Raw stainless. I've agreed to sell them to duckboy, however if he falls through, your more than welcome to them. A sound you won't soon forget.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts