Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy.

OK, I'm gonna pull da trigger soon on an M1000s. It's been a long time since I've purchased a new bike from a dealer, so I'd appreciate some advice.

--What's the average OTD on a 2003 M1000s right now (Bay Area, CA)? I'm going 2003 so I can get that low Ducati financing deal.

G

·
Dude,

I took a huge step and bought my bike this past Aug. Bought my 2003 M800 ie.s... I had all the thoughts you had running in my head and then some... I took my time with it and shopped around the net and around my area...
I live in the Sacramento area, and although there is a Dealer near me, I had bad customer service there and never had my questions answered... I talked with the people at Wilsons in Fresno, but at last came to buy my Bike IN SF at Munroe Motors... I had visited their web site, and the dealer as well... I told them what I wanted and they got me what I wanted... they didn't have the bike in stock but they got what I wanted..
I too wanted the pipes and all the goodies at first... Even though putting down more $$ in to their pockets I could have and was going to put on all the goddies, the sales guy told me to old off on doing so... To take my time and ride the bikes and feel what I bought... If I wanted to later I could add more stuff to it... that made me feel better. And once the bike came it... I totally forgot about getting the pipes and all the goodies I later put on..
They also gave me the heads up about putting on the pipes and having to pay DMV fees if I had them installed when I took delivery of the bike... the other place never told me about this... Yet another reason I felt these guys were good to buy from and to get service from...
Just Get the Bike enjoy it ride it Fall in love... then Figure out what you want to put on it... plus shipping takes a few days on parts... Check Them out if you are in The bay area... I did and I live abut 70 miles away....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trumper,

My recent (yesterday) experience with puchasing my '04 M1000s is very similar to Ona800s; I, too, live in Sacramento and was not able to come to terms with the local dealer. I shopped, via phone, at Marin Ducati (they were very helpful, but would not commit to a firm price on the phone for the demo M1000s they have), Del Amo Motosports in Redondo Beach (also very helpful and competitive, but too far away), Wilson's in Fresno (suggested by a friend, they were very considerate but, ultimately, declined to better the best offer I had already received), and finally Munroe's. Munroe's was quick to the only quote I received from them. There really wasn't any haggling. I just told them what I had in mind model and price-wise; they called me back with their numbers, y voila! Monster-be-mine!

Dude,

So, you take your 800s back to Munroe for servicing? Is this the price we pay for not purchasing locally? I mean, if you buy a bike from afar, does that exclude you from dealing with the local shop for warranty work and the like? Or is it because of the bad, and in no way unique, experience you had with the local guy that makes you go back to SF? I wonder if they (GTD) make a distinction between those that gave them a chance to make a deal or meet a price (as I did) and those that didn't approach them. Bottom line, though, is I have a funny feeling that if I show up w/this new bike looking for support, I'm going to be paying, paying, and paying for not buying from them in the first place. Lesson: don't go back. Perhaps a lesson for them and for me.

To be truthful, though, I'm glad they didn't belly up to the bar on my bike. I had a blast going to SF w/a friend, getting the bike, and then meeting another friend that lives in SF for lunch at the Gordon Biersch brewpub on The Embarcadero. A Good Time was had by all, afterall (ha!).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK you (lucky) guys:

So what's the bottom line (if you don't mind my asking):

2004 Out the Door was ???$
Any idea on a 2003?

I'm still thinking it would be tough to turn down that 0 or 1% APR on a 2003...I don't have the total cash to plunk down and my bank wants like 13% APR....

--Almost Monsterer Tom--

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not sure about the bike price but, try "peoplesfirst.com" for your financing.
They have excellent (some say the best) rates, even lower if your a costco member.

Hope this helps,
Rob

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I always recommend that you check Wilson's (http://www.wilsonsmc.com/2004.htm) for comparative pricing, then see if the dealer of your choice can come close. You might not want to actually say "Wilson's" when negotiating, since some dealers get upset trying to compete against them.

As for what to have done beforehand. Make them bring out their mechanic and set the sag correctly for your weight. That's something dealers should just do when somebody buys a bike, but they never do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trumper,

I agree with Scott's comments about Wilson's. As I said earlier, they were considerate so you should have no trouble engaging in honest negotiations with them.

As for adjusting the bike's suspension when you pick it up, while I asked if we needed to do that, Munroe's stated we would do it when I return for my 600 mile check-up. They said the suspension needed to "seat" similar to the engine parts needing seating. I cannot imagine the bike being better-set-up than it was when I picked it up.

Don't forget to let us know if you pull that trigger!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
BTW, if you do go to a dealer based on recommendations here...tell them you heard about them here on the DML.
helps when im hitting them up to be sponsors :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trumper,

My guy at Munroe Motors requested I suggest you contact him directly for more information on pricing; he is "Rory" and their number is 415/626-3496. I am going to follow his suggestion as this is one bridge I care not to burn.

Good luck w/the game.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
It's nice to see that Munroe Motors is still working on the premise of being straightforward with their customers.

That was my experience several years ago, and it's what made me decide to buy from them even though I was Living in Las Vegas at the time.

--Fillmore

G

·
Hey Thumper,

Yes I did take my bike to SF for the 600 mile service... I have a Ford Ranger and its easy to load it on and off from the truck... it sits fairly low compared to the full size trucks we have... I wouldn't let the local Saramento area dealer install a sticker on my bike let alone service it... Bad expriences there.. Went in to buy a new mirror bracket because i stripped the new one installing new mirrors. They said they didn't even know where to starting looking to order the part... They finally found it.. and said it would take a month, and cost 20 bucks... I said the helll with these guys.. I called where I should havea called first, Munroe Motors... I called them the guy said yeah we have that in stock, (better the waiting a dam month like the other place said) its 10 bucks!!
Not only half the price but in stock... drove down there picked it up and done deal...
So yes its worth visitng them for service, even though its a drive, but like you u make a day out of it, visitng SF having a meal hang with friends... And there is something cool about that bike shop. I even had my pipes put in by them when I did the 600 mile service...

G

·
One other recommendation on Munroe's: If Rory isn't around or not available, ask for Nick. He's the boss and is very easy going and cool to deal with.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If other "Dealers" have different "Cost Stuctures" that is their fault.
They all buy bikes for the same price, just like car dealers. Then they mark them up according to region and overhead.

If they have a great price on the bike you want you might buy at that dealer. If they have bad customer service or a slow parts department you go elsewhere for parts and service.

The bottom line is that DUCATI is a Company that turns a profit, so if you have a dealer who is moving your product (making you and your sharehoulders money) you don't penalize him, in fact you might encourage some competition to help everyone, Consumer included.

IMO, Any inside information that has to do with you saving some of your hard earned cash is good for everyone

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a disservice to potential buyers for me to state what I paid for the bike when the circumstances surrounding my purchase are no longer available.

Consider this: Suppose you were thinking of buying a bike at $11,500 OTD. Then, you heard somebody else got it for less than $11,000 OTD. You'd be disinclined to buy the bike. But, I guarantee you the circumstances are not the same, so the price won't be the same. Expecting it to be otherwise is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

The circumstances surrounding the deal I got are not a "secret" and they are certainly not "insider information". They are, however, no longer current and, therefore, irrelevant and misleading to anybody looking to buy a bike now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was at a shop over the weekend and it had a factory tag that stated something like this: "0% interest for financing a Ducati. Now you can afford a Ducati".

As far as prices are concerned, it shouldn't be a secret. Whoever won't tell you the price they paid is problably worried that you may get a better deal. It's there own insecurity.

No one likes to know they paid too much for airfare. The fact is, on a plane everyone has a different price for the seat they got. There will be winners and and there will be losers.

Most people just want a BENCHMARK. Why is that so hard to understand or discuss? What's the benchmark for this monster? MSRP is NOT a benchmark!

Before buying a car, I go to www.edmunds.com to look up MSRP, Fair Market Value, and Actual purchase prices in my area. Motorcycles should have a similar service!

Later,
Frank

·
Registered
61 Posts
Once again, it's not a secret. I just don't think it will help Trumper or any other potential buyer with their decision. Like I said, what I paid is not what he can pay. If he waits for a deal like mine, he will be waiting a long, long time. He knows that (we've discussed the figures off-line, as per my dealer's request; and yes, I do honor gentlemen's agreements). I'm trying hard not to dissuade Trumper or anybody else from getting the bike they want just because they can't get the same price I got. Circumstances change. My "deal" is no longer available. Therefore, what I paid is irrelevant. My price is no secret, it's not a benchmark, and it's not insider information.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts