Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 2009 model 1100. Couple things I'm wondering if are issues for my first service. Popping through exhaust when using engine to decelerate. Is this typical of these bikes? Will it go away after engine is broke in more? only about 400 miles so far. I think I am just paranoid first brand new bike and quite different from what I am used to. Had been riding a Vmax which was all exhaust sound could not hear much of the engine and the Monster has Quieter exhaust which means I hear other things more ( dry clutch ). Other thing is about 4 times now when I have tried to start it it fires then stops right away then will not fire just cranks. I found that if I turn ignition off and wait a little it is more likely to fire again than if I just crank it. Kind of annoying for a new bike.

Just so you don't think I am unhappy with the Monster I LOVE IT!!
The look, the sound, the acceleration, the handling all are fantastic I am very happy that I chose the Ducati. Only real concern is that I may start getting tickets because it jumps out to 20 over real easy in town and being a long time dirt biker I can't resist the urge to get the front wheel up. what a blast.

Any feed back from experienced Monster riders would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to let you know I to am a relatively new Monster 1100 owner.

On the starting, I was used to the Japanese models and as soon as it would hit I let off the starter. I have found that holding the starter a tad longer until the initial blip and then idling starts solves that issue. It is not like this is a long time but a few extra miliseconds.

Backfiring on engine breaking was way more noticeable on the monster than any other bike I have ever had. It got better with the Termi's and I suspect when I get the ECU and airfilter in it will probably be even better.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
It isn't backfiring, it's from the engine going lean under decel, which is normal. None of your issues are abnormal to a Monster.

Backfiring is when unburned fuel gets into hot exhaust and explodes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
lean

It isn't backfiring, it's from the engine going lean under decel, which is normal. None of your issues are abnormal to a Monster.

Backfiring is when unburned fuel gets into hot exhaust and explodes.
Yep. What he said! Consider getting a PC3 to get the engine tuned below 4000 rpm's. That engine favors the top end, as it should!

Youre going to love that bike even more when the transmission smooths out after a 1000 miles.

Since you got the 1100 with the dry clutch, SHOW IT OFF! Get an open cover and something anodized to show through it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Open Clutch Cover and Adonized plates are next on my list. Hopefully wife won't mind me wrapping them up and putting under the Christmas tree from her to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. It could be that I'm jumping off the starter button a little quick I'll try that. As for the Termi's and the pc3 etc I pushed the limits of my budget and my wife's understanding with the bike so extra's are not in my immediate future. Except for a 14t front sprocket which is not that expensive.
I did not know that the clutch would change after some break in. I like the look of the open clutch covers but the sound has not grown on me yet so not sure about that maybe after I get more used to the sounds of my monster.

It is nice to have this forum now that I am not spending all my time looking at bikes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have an 09 Monster 1100 and have experienced the hard starting and exhaust popping on decel. I had a full Termi exhaust installed and the popping is even more noticable, but was assured by my tech that it was absolutely normal. My bike took as many as 18 attempts to start when I first got it, but has worked itself out to starting after only a few attempts when it has been sitting for a couple days. It starts perfectly when ridden daily. I think these bikes can feel the love. I switched my mirrors out with bar end mirrors and love them. I couldn't get the stock mirrors adjusted to be able to get a clear field of view. The bar ends, when installed properly, work much better. Mine offer a better field of view with no interference with my controls. Not to mention they look sweet. I hope your having as much fun with your bike as I'm having with mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the input. It could be that I'm jumping off the starter button a little quick I'll try that. As for the Termi's and the pc3 etc I pushed the limits of my budget and my wife's understanding with the bike so extra's are not in my immediate future. Except for a 14t front sprocket which is not that expensive.
I did not know that the clutch would change after some break in. I like the look of the open clutch covers but the sound has not grown on me yet so not sure about that maybe after I get more used to the sounds of my monster.

It is nice to have this forum now that I am not spending all my time looking at bikes. Thanks again.
Its not so much the clutch but the gears and transitioning from one to another.
The 14T is a good idea. And you can do it on your own if need be.

I'll keep an eye on the ride reports (Ames is my hometown). Hope you can post something to share.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Willie, Thanks for the reassurance about the starting issue mine has not been as bad as yours. Bar end mirrors are on my list for after my funds are replenished. How much are they and where did you get yours? My friend has them on his Hypermotard and they are nice.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I used to have the same problem on my 750 (before I had Termi's put on). They found that it was running lean when I took it in for the first service and the made adjustments to the mix (whatever that means) and it stopped....

The mechanic, if I recall, asked me if I always went to the same place for gas or wasn't using premium fuel. He told me to switch gas stations. At the time I was going to the same station and switched to the Shell just a few blocks further. Maybe they were watering down their fuel or something (but more likely the adjustments they made at the first tune up). He also mentioned that lots of popping, over time, can leave lots of black residue that is hard to remove around the rear of the pipe (when seen from behind).

I guess like farting for days and not showering ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
bar end mirrors

Willie, Thanks for the reassurance about the starting issue mine has not been as bad as yours. Bar end mirrors are on my list for after my funds are replenished. How much are they and where did you get yours? My friend has them on his Hypermotard and they are nice.
CRG has some cool new trapezoidal mirrors for bar ends. Check 'em out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
bar end mirrors

I bought the CRG "Arrow" mirrors and Motivation universal bar end weight/sliders from Motivation Accessories. The mirrors were $110 each and the bar end weight/sliders were $90. They are both very nice parts, as they should be for the price. I give Motivation Accessories 2 thumbs up on the whole experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts