Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that next Wednesday Ducati will unveil a new Monster. No longer steel trellis frame but aluminum...maybe new engine ? Does anyone know if the air oil cooled version will be continued?

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the frame will be aluminum but I guess it won't be a trellis as well...

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
I don't agree. I've been riding Monsters for 27 years, and have put 300K miles on them, and I'm fine if they change the frame design. Once upon a time, all bike frames were welded steel tubes; then in the '80's the Japanese manufacturers all went to extruded aluminum beams for their high performance bikes, because those were better. Ducati couldn't afford the extrusion machines, so they developed a method of triangulating welded steel tubes, combined with a stressed engine design, that was as good at the time, and made that one of their trademark designs.

To me, the thing that makes Ducati special, the reason I ride them, is that Iprefer twins over fours, and Ducati was the only real sporting machine that was a 2-cyl design. The desmos are cool, but functionally, they are not a big advantage ; they mainly allow for more aggressive cam timing than valve spring designs.

Other than those 3 things, and Italian design flair, Ducatis aren't much different from other bikes.

So yeah, I'd be fine with an aluminum-framed Monster, with valve springs, and whatever else they wanted to do, as long as it was (a) a naked standard bike, in order to still be a Monster, and (b) a 2-cyl engine, in order to keep what makes Ducati good for what I like. And if they go to a V-4 at some point, I won't claim it isn't a Monster anymore, either. I just won't buy one and would get some other twin -- a KTM or Moto Guzzi or BMW or something.

PhilB

·
Registered
594 Posts
As long as they put a Monster sticker on it, I guess that's what it is. Change is inevitable and hats off to Ducati for continuing to innovate. Right here in the US we have a shining example of what happens when you try and keep selling the same motorcycle for a half-century or more. Sure, the full trellis frames will always be one of my favorite things. And sadly for many not paying attention, those disappeared in 2008. A couple triangles under the tank is not a trellis frame. It's more of an homage to it in my opinion. Whether it's motorcycles, cars, trucks, or whatever. There's lots of things things I miss about they way they used to make them. But alas, time marches on.

I had a 1970 Chevy longbed. Great truck, 2nd owner. I miss it dearly. More steel in the tailgate alone than the entire body of anything they build today. Wish they still made them like that. However, that's not too realistic. If they did, the air over the entire planet would most likely look like LA 35 years ago. Not to mention it would probably have to cost $200,000 just to build it today. And besides, how can a company survive when people get tired of going out and buying a brand new version of the same exact truck every couple years? Ducati has a long history of building memorable bikes consisting of vastly different design and construction types. Let's just hope they keep that much going.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As long as they put a Monster sticker on it, I guess that's what it is. Change is inevitable and hats off to Ducati for continuing to innovate. Right here in the US we have a shining example of what happens when you try and keep selling the same motorcycle for a half-century or more. Sure, the full trellis frames will always be one of my favorite things. And sadly for many not paying attention, those disappeared in 2008. A couple triangles under the tank is not a trellis frame. It's more of an homage to it in my opinion. Whether it's motorcycles, cars, trucks, or whatever. There's lots of things things I miss about they way they used to make them. But alas, time marches on.

I had a 1970 Chevy longbed. Great truck, 2nd owner. I miss it dearly. More steel in the tailgate alone than the entire body of anything they build today. Wish they still made them like that. However, that's not too realistic. If they did, the air over the entire planet would most likely look like LA 35 years ago. Not to mention it would probably have to cost $200,000 just to build it today. And besides, how can a company survive when people get tired of going out and buying a brand new version of the same exact truck every couple years? Ducati has a long history of building memorable bikes consisting of vastly different design and construction types. Let's just hope they keep that much going.
Agree w/ philb and Dvy3178-- needs to be progress-- but to me a Monster is defined by- trellis from, 2 cylinders, and air cooled... Just my opinion., my opinion. may vary w/ others

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New 937 Monster...with the engine from the Multistrada 950...and the Hypermotard I guess...

·
Registered
70 Posts
reminds me of a triumph street triple, too modern looking for my taste. the reason i bought my 1200 s is because it combined a classic naked look with modern performance/electronics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To me it looks something between an MT and a Duke...Ducati took the Multistrada/Hypermotard engine and put it on the Monster for cost reasons. Thats something that all brands BMW, KTM Yamaha do...They got the Panigale/Streetfighter screen...16kgs lighter with aluminium frame and subframe made of Fiberglass...

·
Registered
70 Posts
To me it looks something between an MT and a Duke...Ducati took the Multistrada/Hypermotard engine and put it on the Monster for cost reasons. Thats something that all brands BMW, KTM Yamaha do...They got the Panigale/Streetfighter screen...16kgs lighter with aluminium frame and subframe made of Fiberglass...
yeah, definitely MT/Duke vibes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well the Panigale display is just a bit more trick. But it's about dang time the Monster got something better than the black LCD orange backlit blood pressure monitor looking piece of junk. A definite improvement from what I can see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honest to be if I could install that screen on the 797 air cooled Monster I would buy the 797...but in the end we may have to move on...Also it may look way better from close...the new 950 Monster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts