Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’v being riding my new monster (950) for two days now and I find the engine heats up very fast. The heat radiate from the engine cam belt cover. It’s so hot I can’t hold the bike with my thighs. Do you have the same issue ? Any solutions ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Start wearing pants? ;)

Apparel aside - a moderate amount of heat is totally normal on these bikes, though I don't yet know the 950 specifically. Our legs are literally inches from the engine cylinders. On a hot day (+30 celsius), especially in stop & go, it's not uncommon that the engine heat is downright uncomfortable. But it should not go beyond uncomfortable.

I once had a heat problem with a 1100 Evo, which ended up being a warranty issue that required replacing the top-end of the engine (fully warrantied).
I would monitor the temp on your display and, if it's very high-end or outside of the normal range (which tops out at 120 C on your bike) - call the dealer.
Beyond that, your bike is not supposed to burn you. If it's more than an annoyance, a call to the dealer is warranted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fashion advice :)
Did u try insulation ? replacing the plastic covers with carbon ones ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
If your in a hot climate, expect some heat, but it's water cooled so not as bad as air cooled here in Australia, 40deg plus in summer. Does it get that hot in Israel?
The heat is not from plastic cam belt covers, I can touch them on mine at any time, the plastic shouldn't be that hot.
Carbon covers would not be different, Heat comes from engine and exhaust. If the weather is very hot, I'd expect the radiator fan to come on and blow the heat up over your legs etc. Making it seem worse, especially in traffic.
Or, the fan is not working, allowing the engine to overheat, simple check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We get 30-35 during the summer. The cam belt cover is extremely hot to a degree that I can't touch it even with a glove. And it's exactly where I hug the motorcycle with my thigh. Perhaps I'm vertically challenged for this bike optimal leg position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It definitely runs hot. From my understanding, it's a thing with just about all Ducati models. I was expecting my full termi exhaust to relieve some amount of the heat as there is no more catalytic converter, but I don't think it made much of a difference.

I typically ride with Cordura riding jeans. I'll probably pick up some mesh pants to go over regular denim jeans to see if it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in Arizona, so just stating that should give you a clue of how hot our summers are. That said, I'm a fair-weather rider. I won't ride in 100+ temps, although this summer has been quite pleasant and we've been getting a lot of (much needed) rain. Yea, this little motor is a furnace. Even in moderate temps @ 88 degrees buzzing around town I can feel the heat rolling off this engine. It does seem to cool down once at speed. And by that, I'm doing probably 80-85 most of the time with it on the back roads around Prescott, etc. So my suggestion -- go faster! It stays cooler, and you'll stay cooler! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a new Monster 950. Summer night Downtown Chicago, stop and go traffic. My bike was getting very warm yes. Uncomfortable like said before. But hit the open road a bit and it cools down. I haven't had mine go over 212 tho. That was even in a 100 degree temp. Talk about Uncomfortable. But she handled like a champion.

·
Registered
524 Posts
1. Ride faster ;)
2. Water Wetter/Engine Ice could make your bike run a few degrees cooler. If you run Water Wetter and have are exposed to freezing temperatures in the winter, make sure you switch back to glycol-based coolant during that period
3, Wait for Samco to develop a silicone radiator hose kit for your bike. I don't notice the difference, but many swear their bikes run a tad cooler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We get 30-35 during the summer. The cam belt cover is extremely hot to a degree that I can't touch it even with a glove. And it's exactly where I hug the motorcycle with my thigh. Perhaps I'm vertically challenged for this bike optimal leg position.
Hey got rid of that problem with my Monster 1200s purchased the Hooligan Wrap™ (www.hooliganwrap.com) Its a wearable heat shield! Take a look.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
It definitely runs hot. From my understanding, it's a thing with just about all Ducati models. I was expecting my full termi exhaust to relieve some amount of the heat as there is no more catalytic converter, but I don't think it made much of a difference.

I typically ride with Cordura riding jeans. I'll probably pick up some mesh pants to go over regular denim jeans to see if it helps.
Look at the Hooligan Wrap™ (hooliganwrap.com) Its a wearable heat shield- sooo great.... no more problems with hot pipe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL, yes. Preferably leathers.
Mine is a 1200, tries to roast my right leg at stops.
So, wear leathers for insulation and protection, at a stop move your hot leg away from the bike a bit, try not to stop! :D
Take a look at the Hooligan Wrap™ (www.hooliganwrap.com) really stops that heat in its tracks. Am able to wear my regular riding pants. Fully adjustable for thigh, calf or the ankle!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts