Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm very proud to be here.
As my name suggests, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist and noticed a few things out of the norm when consulting my owners manual, so I hope you fellas don't mind me bringing up some concerns about my bike in this forum. I'm sure I'm overreacting, so please excuse this post if I seem a bit dramatic. I hope to hear from all of you and thank you for having me here at ducatimonster.org. I hope to make many long-lasting friendships.

I took possession of my 2020 Monster 821 last week. I rode it home on a 30 minute ride and when I got home, I noticed that the oil level was way over the glass window. I called the dealer and they assured me that it was fine. I have been riding my bike for the last few weeks. I was hoping I could get some reassurance from this knowledgeable group of Ducatistas. Is this a regular occurrence and standard practice? Does the dealer generally fill the oil over the max fill line and is it ok to continue riding?

My second question has to do with the chain. I was researching parts needed to make periodic chain adjustments on my new bike and decided to take my calipers to it. I'm 10mm over tolerance and have just over 300 miles on the bike. Again, I just wanted to see if this was standard ware for a chain to stretch that much in just a few hundred miles or if I should run as far as possible from this Authorized Dealer.

I'm not bashing anyone and for all I know, this is all normal. I just need some reassurance from you guys, that's all.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Read the oil level before you start it...stand it upright and level...if it's running... it's cycling the oil throughout the engine and will wash the site glass with oil...I don't think I needed to worry about oil levels until I started thrashing the engine...after the first set of tires anyway probably the second set...

Mine came out of the box with a stupid tight chain as well...I wasn't riding very aggressive (first ever motorcycle) so I left it alone...wasn't until I decided to adjust it that I broke it...the chain has tight and loose spots...you tighten according to the tightest spots...if there's a disparity you will feel it riding at a constant speed as a subtle surging ...at that point just replace it ... I'm pretty abusive to the drivetrain but despite my best efforts I haven't gone beyond 15k miles on a chain/sprocket although it can be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Buhgaboo,

Right, I've been checking the oil while the engine is completely cold/ engine off. I have my wife hold the bike upright and level while I get down and look into the site glass. The oil level is well over the window, but the dealer says it's okay, so I'm not going to drain it out unless you guys tell me otherwise.

My chain situation is a little different than yours. Mine is too loose. So it either stretched over 10mm in 300 miles, or it was out of spec when I drove it off the lot. Again, I just wanted to see if this was a regular occurrence or if my dealer is pushing bikes out the door and disregarding essential servicing.

It's no big deal. I'm just worried about safety. This is the only Authorized dealer around. I would rather take the bike to a nonauthorized dealer that will keep the bike in spec and deal with the service due lights on my dash if thats what it takes to know I have a safe ride.

I have no problem doing the chain adjustment myself. It just seemed out of the norm to me for a chain to stretch over 10mm in 300 miles. And if I am going to pay a hundred bucks an hour, I want to know that someone is taking a little pride in their craft as a mechanic.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Loose and overfilled....your so close to the first service that I would let it be...I don't know of any benefit to overfilling the oil for a break in period...but...it should all get sorted after the 600 mi service...chain is fine on the loose side... actually better to have it a little loose rather than too tight...if your keeping it clean you probably won't have to adjust it outside of changing the tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man,
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the chain is fine as long as its on the loose side. I'll leave it alone and let it get serviced next week. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chain is fine, I recently fitted new chain and sprockets, rechecked a week later, only 200 Klms. and also about 10mm over. New chain just 'beds in' initially. Nothing to worry about.

Oil, just lean over to the left a little and see if level can be seen, having way too much oil is not good, but a little over is ok. Dealer just filled a bit far maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ronski, Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for the reassurance. I will follow your tip on the oil level to see how full it is. It's also good to hear that my chain just stretched and is not an oversight from the shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Monster 821 and according to my manual (below) the oil level should be checked with a warm engine. I assume a 2020 model would be the same? I think if you just check it cold the oil level may appear artificially high.

To check the oil level correctly, carefully follow the
instructions below.
1) The level must be checked with warm engine, so if
it is not performed after riding for at least 20/30
minutes you will need to warm up the engine.
If, on the other hand, the engine is cold, start it and let
it warm up until the cooler fans start two consecutive
times (the engine oil must be perfectly warm to flow
along the lines and reach the engine sump).
During this warming up phase, the bike can be left on
the side stand.
2) Turn off the engine and wait 10\15 minutes to allow
the oil to flow completely inside the sump.
3) Position the bike with both wheels on a flat ground
and in straight position.
4) Then, check the engine oil through the sight glass.
5) If the oil level is below the middle line between the
MIN and MAX marks, add oil until reaching the
maximum level indication.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ddrecovery,

Right, I've read that too.

Thank you for your post. My bike was definitely overfilled from the factory. Not drastically but well over the sight glass window. I had my wife rock my bike side to side as I looked into the window. The oil level is well over the window even after a long ride with the engine off.

I've since had the break-in service complete, and it still came back overfilled but not to the degree of when I bought the bike.

I was just wondering if it was damaging to the bike to have the oil levels this high and if others experienced this.

I'm over it now that I had an oil change. Thank you for your reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts