Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna make this a little long winded, hah.

I've owned 2 other bikes, though I'd still consider myself a new rider, and here's why:

My first bike was a Suzuki GS450 that I had when I was 20. I had it for about a year (it was even my only form of transportation for a few months when my car was broken), and somehow I managed to not kill myself; which is really surprising to me now that I look back on it. I was a complete idiot, riding around with no gear on (not even a helmet... even though it's the law in Utah, a lot of people ignore it), bad brakes, no endorsement, no practice, no skills. That bike eventually broke (it would idle at 6,000rpm and eventually stopped idling at all) and I didn't have the money to fix it...

I'm 30 now. I wanted to get back into the motorcycle world. I had an idea of how much I wanted to spend, and went looking around. I eventually bought a Yamaha V-Star 650. Took the MSF and got my endorsement, put about 300 miles on the bike, etc, etc. I feel like I'm at least *trying* to be much safer now. I read crash reports all the time, I *try* my own emergency stops, I wear full gear. I check my bike before ... well, ever other ride :)

Ok, at this point, I have to explain a few things. I've always liked the cruiser look... and have really had an aversion to the sport bike look. I liked the *idea* of a sport bike... better handling, more efficient engine, etc... but I just hated the way they looked. Then, I went on a business trip to New York... where I didn't see many motorcycles, but I did see quite a few of one motorcyle - the Ducati Monster.

It was like the best of both worlds! A more sporty bike, except instead of being ugly, it was the best looking bike I'd ever seen!

Over the next couple of months, I became straight up obsessed with the Monster. Reading Ducati forums, reading reviews, driving over to Ducati Seattle to drool on the bikes, watching Youtube videos... it was pretty sad.

I made an appointment at Ducati to drive one of their demos. I went to the appointment. I drove the Monster. It didn't do anything to help get rid of my obsession, it made it worse.

Anyway, long story short, I now have a brand new Monster 796 in the garage and am trying to sell a Yamaha V-Star 650 (if you know anyone in Seattle that wants one...), haha :)

I'm a little worried that I've jumped too quickly to a bike that is out of my skill level, even though people seem to think a 796 is a pretty good bike for someone who is a little more than completely green... so any advice would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can relate to your obsession. After riding a friends Hypermotard I felt the same way. Hours on youtube and ebay/craigs list looking at bikes. Ended up buying a new 2009 m1100. Very happy at this point. All that I hoped for. Enjoy and be careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts